Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #1  

Arrow Help!!!!!

I am new to this site, and new to dieting as well (obviously lol). I am currently on the medical weight loss diet, I have only been on for a little less than a week. I've been following it faithfully. I've been drinking 86oz of water a day (64oz than addition 12oz to mix with nutrients) I get in all my nutrients and meals etc. The nutrients are supposed to keep you feeling full??? I find that I get really hungry at night, sometimes right after I drink the nutrients. Is it just me or does my body just need time to get adjusted to this strict diet? If anyone out there can help me, or has any suggestions how to beat the muchie monsters please write back. I would really appreciate it.
toni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #2  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

Default Hi

Do you get a snack inbetween meals that may help..If you are counting cals you may want to try fitday.com its a good site and will help you keep track of how many cals you take in...I use a note book to wright all I eat and the workouts I do in a days time...I find I spend all my time wrighting instead of eating at night..I plan my next day at night after the kids are in bed and before I know it...its time for me to go to bed.....I hope some of this helps

Good Luck

Leigh
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #3  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

a good mesure of time to give yourself when starting out is at least a month. You are starting out and your body is going thru changes and you might either feel sluggish or just off.
I kind of call it going thru detox, Sugar and a fat detox.
You need to make sure you are getting in your snacks as well as your meals.
You should be eating at least six times a day breakfast, snack,lunch ,snack , dinner, snack. That might help with the late night munchies. You should be eating nothing a couple hours before you go to bed.
Have a specifc time each night or day when you are to be sleeping that you will not eat before your hitting the bed.
I dont know that plan that the medical weight loss has you working on but let them know this so they can help you adjust and see where you need to make some changes. You need to sit down figure out when you get up , when you go to sleep and try to eat something every three hours. breakfast 3 hours later a snack 3 hours later lunch 3 hours later snack 3 hours later dinner 3 hours later snack.
Hope some of this helps a bit and dont worry you will make it thru this. Give your body the chance and you can over come it.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #4  

Yeah they have me on a plan like that. But next week they will be cutting me down to 1 meal a day . I drink these nutrients at breakfast (right now I eat cus I'm at 2 meals a day), then for a.m. snack I get either nutrients or their bars (they are my favorite part of the day!) chocolate covered cookie dough bars! mmmmm! . Then lunch is a nutrient shake, so is my afternoon snack . Then dinner, and p.m snack shake. I have to get all the nutrients in no later than 9, after that I still want a snack. The nutrients are supposed to help me feel full, maybe it's just psycological, I know I can't eat so that makes me want to? I don't know, I hope I will be able to handle the one meal a day. The lady said thats when the weight will really start coming off. I hope so, I just don't get why I am still so hungry I am on appetite suppressents and everything.
What I really need is something to give me more energy, considering I'm not allowed caffeine drinks. If I was I might be like this , lol. Well thanks for writing I really appreciate your help. Good luck to you guys on your diets, and I will be happy to give you all the support I can (if you need it ). As for logging I have to do that anyways, mwl wants to see what I eat and such. Great idea though, that's awesome that you can use it as a tool on your diet. I hope to hear from you soon, and if you have any exercise tips that would be great!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

What on Earth kind of diet are you on that drops you to 1 meal a day?! You called it a "medical weight loss diet" which leads me to believe you're seeing a doctor, but it just sounds insane. Of course you'll be hungry on only 1 or 2 meals a day! Liquid NEVER makes me feel as full as solid food--even if it's packed with protein or fiber or whatever, you can still feel it sloshing around in an empty stomach. I would think any doctor would know that to lose weight successfully, you don't have to go on such a strict diet--you need to learn how to eat for the REST OF YOUR LIFE, not just starve yourself and drink icky drinks until you reach your goal. Is this diet through a doctor? Is it a regular doctor, or one that specializes in weight loss? I've heard too many stories of people who take pills and/or drink shakes instead of eating who stop the diet when they reach goal and then GAIN all the weight back, so I guess I'm just wondering how this might be different?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #6  

Exclamation Whoa,wait a second lady......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
who stop the diet when they reach goal and then GAIN all the weight back

Yes that is true for a LONGTERM diet. There is more to medical weight loss than that. This is just to speed up my metabolism, to help me lose my weight faster (but still 100% safe) . After I reach my goal weight they will bring back the normal foods that have been cut out, in order for me to retain LIFE-LONG MATIENCE, on a healthy-normal (3meal + snacks- a day) diet, with regular grocery store food. Keeping the weight off then is your responsibilty, but they show you how to eat normally again. And if you go in there weekly or bi-weekly and you happen to gain 3-7 lbs they will help u lose it for the rest of your life.
Now ma'am if you would wait to learn all about something before you jump all over it , that might make you seem a little sweeter. I hope I answered all of your questions or misgivings about this wonderful program. Good luck to you on yours.
By the way I've been on the diet only 5 days now!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:55 AM   #7  

Thumbs up Just because it is a shake diet does not set you up for failure!

Jill, I am following a slim-fast plan and have dropped 57 pounds on it. It will be my responsibility to keep the weight off. Liquid diets do work and they are safe. Do some research from respected websites and you'll see that there are advocates to such plans. You don't have to be on it forever, but if you decide to stop consuming the product, then you will have to make changes that may not be too convenient if you lead a hectic lifestyle.

Toni, I think if it is working for you then keep it up. I have felt like a failure for relying on such a product but then again, I'm ommiting anything that ends with "tos"-----> cheetos, doritos, fritos....you name it. By no longer having such foods in my diet, then therefore I can conclude that shakes have allowed me to be more aware of what I put in my mouth and calorie counting is an easier task. As long as your calorie intake is realistic for weight loss, then I suppose (with online research in my background) you will undergo safe weight loss. No matter which diet one is on, there is always that personal responsibility of maintaining the weight off. On any diet, there is the probability of regaining the weight back, even if you learn to eat healthier because by the time you know it, you may end up taking the same habits that led you to be overweight in the first place. Just because it is a "shake diet" does not mean you will be a failure at weight loss. As I have said, whatever works for you. You will succeed.

Oh...I avoid the munchies by drinking diet sodas, eating a handful of pretzels, apples, oranges, and lots of water. With time, hunger is just easier to bear.

Check out the research that I have found :

http://www.i-55.com/drdiet.com/articles/034.htm

Last edited by Psychego; 01-12-2006 at 01:01 AM.
Psychego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:19 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni62
Now ma'am if you would wait to learn all about something before you jump all over it , that might make you seem a little sweeter. I hope I answered all of your questions or misgivings about this wonderful program. Good luck to you on yours.
Umm, this is why I asked so many questions in my post about your plan. I asked if you were with a doctor and I asked how it was different from normal liquid diets, so maybe you would seem "sweeter" if you answered the questions without getting so defensive. I wasn't attacking you personally--like I said, I have heard plenty of stories of people gaining the weight back after a liquid diet, so my comments were NOT unfounded. You said you were new to dieting and that you were feeling hungry, and you asked for advice, so I spoke from personal experience, observations, and YES research (you wouldn't believe how many weight loss resources I've read in my 23 years of obesity ). I never said liquid diets don't work--I have no doubt that you can lose weight on a liquid diet. It just makes more sense to me to learn how to eat properly all along the way rather than wait till I'm at goal, but different plans work for different people. It is excellent to hear that you will have continued support even after you've reached your goal--I think that's important no matter WHAT diet you're on.

From my research and understanding, whether it's from a liquid or a solid food, it all comes down to calories in v. calories out (as I'm sure we all know by now), but going too low in calories can actually do more harm for your metabolism than good. Actually, I guess if you plan on staying low in calories for forever, it's okay. Personally (PERSONALLY, as in, for ME, so don't get offended), I'd rather be able to eat real food for the rest of my life--I enjoy food I ate real food to get me into this mess, so I need to fix my relationship with food in order to get me out!

Just as a sidenote, be careful what you read online--you can find a doctor somewhere to advocate pretty much ANY diet plan, even those that are actually quite harmful (not that I'm saying that's the case here--just in general). OH, and one more question...is there a specific name for this diet or something other than "medical weight loss diet" I could use to look it up? When I looked up "medical weight loss diet," I got lots of things that didn't really sound like they matched your plan
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #9  

I'd love to see some more information about this diet as well. Is there a clinical reason why you need fast weight loss? Are you under the care of a doctor? How does the plan work - do you have regular meetings, diet counsellors etc? I have found plenty of things termed "medical weight loss" on the net, but not the plan you are following I don't think.

If this diet is so fabulous then I am not sure why you posted a "Help" request and then proceed to turn on those who try to help you. You asked for help to beat the munchie monsters, and of course, eating healthy food regularly is the way to beat those monsters, however if your plan doesn't allow you to eat regularly, I would go back to your diet counsellors (if that's what you have) and tell them about your concerns.

Again this is just me personally, but I wouldn't do a liquid diet. I need to re educate myself on how to eat sensibly and how to change my relationship with food, just like Jill is doing as well. But if I was following a plan like this, and was having concerns, I would go back to whoever was selling me the plan and address the issues. However you decide to lose weight, only you can take ownership of it.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
If this diet is so fabulous then I am not sure why you posted a "Help" request and then proceed to turn on those who try to help you.
This diet is great, BUT I have only been on it for 6 days, I simply wanted help, or advice on how to maintain will power at this early stage. The diet can only do so much at this early stage, my body is what some call in the detox sugar stage. That means I feel sluggish from lack of sugar and caffeine. I just wanted some tips on how to get motivated and find other ways to over come this.

Jill, I am sorry that I took offense to your comments and questions, I'm sorry. I guess I am just offensive from defending this plan against other people who doubt it.

For anyone who would like more information on mwl, go to http://medicalweightloss.com/home_1024.asp
Thank you.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #11  

So what happens when you go out to eat with friends - do you just have to sit and watch them eat? It seems like almost any restrictive diet requires you to essentially give up your life for awhile - but then I guess it really depends on the kind of life you had to begin with. In any case, whether you lose the weight quickly now or slowly down the road, the real work is changing your attitude toward food and not craving treats every time you need an emtional boost. A lot of us just would rather do that hard work on the front end, rather than run the risk of gaining the weight back...

My assumption is that these types of diets don't work very well if you "cheat." It's easy to say that it's all about will power and just saying no, but hopefully every one here understands that it's more complicated than that. Frankly I don't know too many people that haven't tried slim fast for a week or two - but eventually gave up because they wanted real food for their meals and felt deprived. That doesn't make them undisciplined, just human. For me, I'm much happier losing weight without while still enjoying my favorite foods - in moderation.
Hibiscus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #12  

Hey!
I did mwl a couple of years ago with great success. I do remember that there was very little food going in though, and hubby and I used to refer to that diet as the "starvation diet". I did drop about 45 pounds successfully and did manage to maintain it once regular food was re-introduced. )
As for your question, I suggest lots of water when you are hungry, or hot tea if allowed or apples. All tend to decrease hunger for me with very little calories. I used to keep busy, and go to bed when I was tempted to munch!
HTH!
Good luck with your program...u can do it!!!! )
momi4nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #13  
Mel

This is from the website you posted:

Quote:
Medical Solutions' nutritional program does not use packaged foods. The nutritionists monitor each patient's fat intake, carbohydrates, proteins, caloric intake, and food combinations. Assessments of each patient's individual lifestyle and eating habits are made and each individual's total daily allowances are calculated. The nutritional department then implements and monitors patients' nutritional planners on a regular basis.
and

Quote:
With Medical Solutions' individualized nutrional programs, you'll eat regular foods, shop at regular grocery stores, eat out at restaurants, and even cook gourmet meals for you and your family. There are no packaged foods or false promises. You'll recieve personalized support and education regarding what and when to eat.
They seem pretty adamant that you aren't eating pre-packaged food or shakes. Are you sure you are doing the same program? They also talk about providing you with daily counseling, behavior modification, appetite supressing drugs (woohoo! wish there really were some without dreadful side effects!), and

Quote:
further support the patient is supplied with a tutorial workbook, which, along with the highly educated and caring staff, guides patients to long-term weight management and a healthy lifestyle.
Have you asked about the appetite supressants, the pyscholgical and behavioral support or the daily counseling?

If the program really is as advertised on the website, it sounds like a wonderful resource. If you are paying for those services, use them

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #14  

Oops... I posted the wrong website, although the clinics are similar, mine is a little different. I will post the right one as soon as I find it. Sorry for the confusion.