Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #1  

Default Wave 2 - Moroccan Chicken

Moroccan Chicken

1 lb chicken breast, cubed
2 t salt
1 chopped onion
2+ cloves of garlic
2 sliced carrots - can omit to make Wave 1 friendly
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 T of fresh ginger - I usually use powdered ginger for convenience sake
1/2 teaspoon paprika - adjust all spices to your liking. I usually go heavier on them
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 1/2 cups chicken broth - I usually use a little less than this to keep the sauce from being too watery
1 cup crushed tomatoes - diced tomatoes work too.
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained
1 zucchini, sliced - add more!!
1 tablespoon lemon juice

I usually serve this over whole wheat couscous or bulgur wheat

Season chicken with salt and brown in a large saucepan over medium heat - I keep a container of vegetable stock in the fridge for healthier sauteing but a dash of olive oil would be fine to add here too -until almost cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
Saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery in same pan. When tender, stir in ginger, paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and turmeric; stir fry for about 1 minute, then mix in broth and tomatoes. Return chicken to pan, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add chickpeas and zucchini to pan and bring to simmering once again; cover pan and cook for about 15 minutes, or until zucchini is cooked through and tender. Stir in lemon juice and serve.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote