Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #1  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Default A suggestion for pasta lovers....

I have found spaghetti squash to be a great substitute for spaghetti.
It has 15 calories for 2 ounces compared to about 200 calories for regular spaghetti. This means I can have a large portion for wayyyyy less calories!

I prepare it in the microwave. Poke some holes in a spaghetti squash and microwave for 2 minutes. Allow it to cool then slice it in half. (It makes it MUCH easier to slice if you microwave it first.) Clean out the seeds and pulp. Place 1/2 of the squash face down in about 1 inch of water and microwave for about 7 minutes. Allow it to cool. Use a fork to "flake" the squash into strands by running it down the length. It actually LOOKS like spaghetti!

My dh and I both love the taste! It has a slightly nutty flavor and crunch.
It is great with minced garlic, butter buds and parm cheese. It can be used with tomato sauce or in any way you'd use spaghetti.

Another use for it is for a "mock" coconut pie. I've made this before and it was pretty good. I used coconut extract for the flavor.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #2  
Just Keep Swimming

S/C/G: 276/276/115

Neat, Ill have to try that!
Thehopefulcry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #3  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I keep everyone rave about it that I'm just going to have to go and find me some and give it a try.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:46 PM   #4  

I have never seen it in England, ever! I used to have it often in Australia, but I have searched high and low here. It is very disappointing as it's such a good veggie!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #5  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

I've heard about this too, and will probably try it at some point, but I like my regular plain ol' pasta too. I have a hard time eating more than 3 oz. (whatever that makes cooked), so for me, a bowl of spaghetti, tomato sauce, and a sprinkle of cheese is usually around 400-450cal. Add a big salad with low-fat or no-fat dressing, and I'm around 500 cal for a huge dinner. My range is 1500-1800, so that's really not bad to me. I'd be a little bit more upset about it if I was trying to eat at 1200, but that's just me!
FL_Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #6  

I am going to have to give that a try!
Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #7  
Whip It Good

Excellent tip with the microwave! I can never cut the stuff - I usually make the folks inproduce slice it for me - they used to think I was nuts but now they know!
DaisyBug08004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #8  
LLV

I absolutely adore spaghetti squash and eat it often. But it's definitely not a total replacement for pasta. Sometimes it works, but when ya gotta have pasta, you gotta have pasta!

lol
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #9  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Spaghetti squash is awesome. I had never made it until my brother in law became a vegan (and that was short lived, btw, hehe). A few more tips on the beloved squash...
Slice it in half widthwise, scoop out the seeds, rub it with olive oil and spices, wrap it in tin foil and bake it @ 450 for 45 minutes to an hour.

Always buy the smallest one available. I never buy one larger than 2 pounds (figure about 1 pound of squash per person). It's hard to cook it evenly with really thick flesh.

Citrus fruits work very well with it. I mix pomegranite seeds with the strands, or fill the cavity with orange-apple-lemon juice before baking...
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

i've been meaning to ask for a while..which one is it.
2oz is 200 calories before cooking or after?
that kind of makes it important...as I think 2oz of cooked is a lot smaller than uncooked... my pakage gives no clue as to which one they have calories for..what do you guys think
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBETA
i've been meaning to ask for a while..which one is it.
2oz is 200 calories before cooking or after?
that kind of makes it important...as I think 2oz of cooked is a lot smaller than uncooked... my pakage gives no clue as to which one they have calories for..what do you guys think
I'm 95% sure it's 2oz uncooked. Look at the label on the box (or bag)--it should say how many oz are in a serving (typically 2) and how many servings are in the container (mine says 7), so if the front of the box says there's 14oz in the box, then there you go, it's uncooked
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:31 AM   #12  
LLV

I agree with Jill. 2oz. uncooked.

When I fix myself some pasta, I measure 2oz. on my scale. It's not a WHOLE lot, but it's enough for a lunch. And like someone else said (either in this pasta thread or the other one) once you make a lowfat sauce and add veggies and other stuff to toss with it, it makes plenty
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote