Old 01-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #1  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Default Gettin' together -- January 2006

Happy New Year!

Hope you had a good celebration, and are enjoying this first day of the New Year. It really goes by fast.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:10 PM   #2  

Talking Happy New Year~~~

Hey ladies ...well, first, TY for your kind words Marge...I am so glad you like the Gingers, and now you have them for next year...
2006 is going to be an amazing year, I already feel it...Last night we had a fantastic time in Bear Mountain...although what would normally be a 2 hour drive took us 3.5 hours in a blizzard...we literally had to drive 5 miles per hour, since it is in the heart of the mountains and on windy hilly roads, and even in the truck with 4wd it was not a pleasant experience to say the least . But, once we got there...Wow, Their home was breathtakingly beautiful to say the least, and now we know today why they live there and commute to the city to work...the live on a hill overlooking the Hudson river on top of Buck mountain...wow...Normally she has 20 or more people, but the weather kept all but 8 of us away...we had a great night.
Kylie, you are such an inspiration, and when I read your Blog I realized just how much of one you are...now I need to get myself a copy of that book...and you look just beautiful in that dress and choker too

Aimee, WB You are so darned cute, and we have missed you...
Have a wonderful, healthy, and happy 2006 ladies...keep on and
DianaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #3  

PS: Is it too late to sign on for the Valentines Challenge, and if not, what are the guidelines?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:23 PM   #4  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the new thread, Marge - Just occurred to me it is January, a new month. The last week's been a blur! Yes, Howie and I head to Maryland on Tuesday morning. Tomorrow we're packing all the laundry I did today, LOL. Thank God for notebook computers, I tell ya. I am bringing my rolling laptop stand, but other than that, we're packing pretty light. I'm heading to bed...We want to get up early and have everything done by the time friends come over to watch the OSU game tomorrow at 4:30pm. See ya's!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #5  
Howie6267's Honey

Is this early enough? ** yawn **

Seeking coffee....
Old 01-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Morning ladies...and Happy 2006! I KNOW this will be OUR YEAR!!!

Had a fun New Year's Eve....although I had a few too many rum and diets!!

Kimberely: Save travels for you and Howie tomorrow!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #7  
Never surrender

Holy cow I went to the gym this morning (PACKED, just like I predicted), then I just came home and crashed. Good day for it too, gray and dreary.

I've driven through Bear Mountain, Diana. It's a gorgeous area. I love the Hudson Valley. Lucky you to go to a party there, even though the drive through that weather sounds a little heart stopping to me. The gingers are already up on the door. Probably next weekend we'll take down all the Christmas stuff, so we can enjoy it all for another week.

No rules for the V-day challenge other than setting a comfortable goal and working on it. So set up a thingamabob and you'll be on your way.

Good luck with everything, Kimberley. I'm sure it's nerve wracking; yeah, laptops are handy little gadgets, hope you'll check in a lot and let us know how the two of you are doing.

Hey, Jen, you party animal! I think 2006 will be a good one too.

How's your NY going, Jill?

Rob bought the Bo Bice and Carey Underwood CDs (2 singles on each) at Christmas, and there pretty fun to listen to.

Well, gotta go eat dinner. Have a great evening everyone.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:22 PM   #8  

Heelo, well it's back to work tomorrow, oh joy. But the gym will be open as normal, I've not been for two weeks. These muscles need to l.i.f.t!!!! I've had a quiet day getting my MP3 player stacked with songs for the gym (not to mention public transport) and trying to sort out batteries for the monster. Confucious say -- do not waste your money on cheap batteries, they no work!!!

It's hard to think of myself as an inspiration, there are so many people on here that have inspired me, it's nice to be able to give something back!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Glad to hear everyone's New Year's went well! I'm supposed to go to work tomorrow (had today off), but I still feel quite crappy, so I'm going to call out. I normally wouldn't plan the night before to call out since there's a chance I could feel better in the morning, but I have to go to court tomorrow morning for a speeding ticket anyway so regardless of health status, I wouldn't have been in the office for the entire day, and who knows how long I'll be at the courthouse, so I'll just skip out on the day all together

Just went grocery shopping and spent more than usual, but we haven't gone in over 2 weeks since we haven't been home much, so we had a lot to stock up on. I was supposed to get together with that girl I met on Craigslist today, but I talked to her, and she was busy with her mother (they took her to the ER last night because her bowel burst--how horrid does that sound?!), and I felt like crap, so we left it as I will call her when I feel better. I'll hopefully be okay tomorrow afternoon/evening to at least go meet her and talk for a bit.

She is doing LAWL, and I have never really been familiar with that diet, but she was describing a bit of it to me over the phone, and it sounds basically like what you guys do, Kimberley. It's an exchange program, but she doesn't count calories. I don't feel comfortable with throwing calories completely out the window, so I'm still going to keep track. From what I've read (mostly through Kimberley's links), I'm going to try to get about 6-12 whole grains, 3 fruits, 3 veggies, 2-3 dairy, and 2-3 proteins with fat at around 30%. I stocked up on some frozen veggies and even bought some V8 to drink since I know I don't eat nearly enough veggies. I hate V8, but 8oz a day won't kill me

Oooh, and my favorite chicken was on sale at the store, so I bought 5 packages of it--thin-sliced boneless skinless 98% fat free chicken breast. It's so thin that I can use less sauce/seasoning and still get the flavor throughout. I have no food scale, so I'll need to find a way of measuring my chicken serving sizes (something I haven't really been doing). I know a deck of cards is the estimate of a serving of chicken, but this chicken is so thin that it may take 3 card-size layers to equal the thickness of a deck, so we'll see.

Also on sale were Morningstar Farms products, so I bought 4 different kinds of vegetarian "meat" patties to try, and they've got to be mostly veggies since they have VERY few carbs (I think the highest was 7g per patty), so that might be another way for me to get in some veggies.

In an effort to lower my sodium intake a bit, I bought a bunch of boxes of whole wheat blend thin spaghetti (I know, it's not ALL whole wheat is it's a blend, but I figure it's still better than the all-white) to use with sauces in lieu of the Lipton's instant noodle sides I'd been making almost every night with dinner. I bought 2 kinds of teriyaki sauce and a honey dijon sauce that all have 25 or fewer calories per serving, so I will use those and some chopped frozen veggies with the noodles to make side dishes. I haven't sat down and figured out the total nutritional contents of this idea, but I figure it's GOT to be better for me than the packaged stuff!

Alrighty, well, now that I've posted a novel about my grocery shopping, can you tell I'm enthusiastic about beginning 2006 on the right foot? It's been a while since I've posted such a long blurb on here (though it used to be nearly an everyday occurence ). Well, off to play some video games, prepare some food, and sleep!

OH, and it was great to see even just an itty bitty post from you, Aimee--we miss you!!!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Hey everyone! I found a spare moment - they've been few and far between lately! So I thought I'd pop by and say hi again! Again, I'm hoping by the end of this week things will be back to normal around here.. we have a round of birthday's this week, and my friend and Josh's cousin had babies, so we have to go visit all the brand new people!

Kykaree- great to see you around again! Those mp3 players are a saver eh? I'd be lost without mine sometimes! You've lost SO much weight, you can really see it in your picture. Congrats to you!

Diana - YOU are too cute! I've missed your posts, and hearing about all those inches lost. You are an inspiration like no other.

Kimberley - safe travels to you and Howie, and I hope all goes smoothly. I love laptop's, when we were in Seattle I got to curl up on the couch with tons of blankets and tea, and a laptop... I may have to invest in one!

Jill - How great that you found a workout buddy! Josh has sworn to be my workout buddy when I'm all better, I got him these overly expensive runners and workout clothes.. so technically he owe's me I hope you feel better soon, I have been sick with *something* for 3-4 weeks, it's been horrible! Some days I just want to stay in bed all day.. soon!

Jen - thats TOO cute that hubby joined! I hope its an inspiration, because having a sig other on board with weight loss is the most helpful thing!

Marge - oh marge, my American twin... let's become blondes and go live with hugh heffner

Well, on my end of the world things are busy as heck, and coupled with this sickness from h. e. double hockey stick I get into bed the second I can, heh. I have decided to take a month off from work and go to Seattle to stay with my brother, this will be in mid-Feb. I am looking forward to it, although Josh has to stay behind and work. Sometimes you just have to put yourself first though.

I have literally written a 3 part serious over here, so I am off and hope to be back permanently soon!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:39 AM   #11  
Howie6267's Honey

Jill, you go girl! You've got such a great pantry full of stuff to start out the new year, and not only that but a plan. That's great, you.

Aimee, great to hear more from you! I hope you get over whatever this is soon. Sleep's good, recharge those batteries.

I was in bed early, like 12:15am, but I just can't stay asleep. I don't know if it's too much pseudoephedrine or just nerves about leaving tomorrow. It just doesn't seem real that we're leaving already...For so many weeks, I was anxious to get going, to get his surgery over with. Now that the time's here, woah, whole other story.

I am really looking forward to meeting our friends, it's just the whole surgery and hubby-in-pain thing is not pleasant to anticipate. Howie said today he's glad he's already had spinal surgery and knows more about what to expect this time. He's already looking ahead. Atta boy.

We'll be traveling starting around 9:00am, and I suspect I may not post until Wednesday afternoon or evening. We'll get settled in tomorrow night and visit with our friends, then try to get to bed pretty early since we have to get up around 5:00am Wednesday for his two pre-op appointments. Groan. Shoot, the day of his operation, we have to be at the hospital at 5:30am. I think I'm having trouble sleeping tonight? Hah!
Old 01-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #12  

Talking Gm!!!

Hey E1! Nothing but ice and snow out there today, so this means no outdoors for me at all...I plan to give the recumbant bike a go then, has been awhile for that...DH is planning on investing in a home gym for us with our tax return this year...that will be great...I love Curves, but when the weather stinks, I cannot leave the house for fear of falling, so, I can work-out here...and start walking again when the roads are clear...knitted myself a scarf and hat...so, NO MORE excuses, I really want to get back to the 5 miles a day I used to walk..I miss the feeling of being in shape...and the extra money I spend on Curves each month will help pay for a bill or be in my pocket so can't beat that then, after he and I both lose half of our weight, me, I need to lose 60 pounds more, and he needs to lose 45 first, then he is getting us a nice treadmill..
Kimberley~~ Prayers being sent out to Howie and you...
Aimee~~ Thanks so much, I really missed the group, and your happy face, and am glad to be back!!!
And Marge~~Thanks so much, again...I am so glad my gingers found a good home, lol...I love making stuff like that...
Old 01-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #13  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Hi gals: Been busy my first day back at work, but wanted to catch up on things here while I could.

Aimee: Glad to see you! Great avatar--you are a gorgeous girl! Yes it is pretty cool that Alan (not quite my husband yet!) is posting here. We both are wanting to make significant changes in our health, and his support is invaluable to me!

Jilly: sounds like a great plan you have there! Sounds like you are prepared for whatever comes!

Marge: I LOVE Carrie and Bo! I was sooooo addicted to American Idol (and I am sure it will be that way this year too!) I'm excited to see what this season will bring!

Diana: The inhome gym sounds great! We are planning to do that when our house is built.

Kylie: For something like an MP3 that gets lots of use, cheap is definitely not the way to go! BTW, Alan wanted to know where you are in Lancashire, since he is a Preston boy...

Kimberley: Looking forward to hearing how you got along with your trip. You're on the road as I'm writing this, so I'm sending you good vibes and prayers!

Me: I got the Biggest Loser Workout DVD for Christmas, and used it for the first time yesterday. I DEFINITELY felt like I worked out!! I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can lose in six weeks with the help of the DVD!

Headed home for lunch with Alan...will check in later!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #14  
Never surrender

I haven't ventured into the realm of MP3 yet, hey, I still have dial up, I'm like a cavewoman, heh heh. It really does help me to see people succeeding, getting their weight down and getting into shape. It's not so easy for me to really, really envision myself getting the weight down, so your success does have an impact, K. -- both K's, ha.

Wow, a burst bowel does sound hellish. The time will give the two of you a chance to get ready with your plans before you meet. Congrats on the grocery run, I drink V8 just about every day because I have a tough time getting all my veggies in. I actually like it now.

Hey, my Canadian twin! How'd you know I've always wanted to dye my hair blond??? Did you ever see the Weezer video (Beverly Hills)? heh heh. The band goes to The Mansion. Good for you re: Seattle. That sounds like a much needed and deserved break. Got room for a gal from Brooklyn? (I can bring my own inflatable bed, heh)

Hey, Kimberley, hope the trip is going well. The anticipation is tough, at least you do know what to expect, that makes it easier to deal with. I'm wishing the two of you well and I'm glad you're staying with friends (I think I'm remembering it correctly that you were going to do that).

D., a home gym, now that sounds nice (see my packed gym comment). The treadmill is my favorite machine, too. I get nervous with the ice. People get citations here for not shoveling or putting down salt, but too many get lazy and just don't do it anyway. I didn't grow up with ice and snow either.

Jen, last season was the first time we watched AI, it's addictive. Bo's great, I'm more of a rock fan than country music. Carrie has a nice voice too. This Wed is a Biggest Loser special. I'll be watching that. I'll bet the workout is intense.

Just found out my bil and his wife are planning on adopting. I'm still trying to get my head around it a little, this family has been through the wringer this past year.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I was super excited today, I got on my scale for that first official weigh in since all of that Christmas stuff. I am DOWN 5 pounds! I am feeling like I am non- stop eating these days, so who knows! Technically I'm down 6 pounds, but I'm in denial that my weight went up that extra pound.. heh..

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote