Old 08-26-2001, 12:56 PM   #1  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Default Info about stalls especially in the first few weeks

I found this in another forum thought that it may be helpful for those that are begining and feel that it is to frusterating. copy it and put it in your folder for later reading, it also pertaines to those who have fallen badly and have gotten back on the wagon.

This article from Lynne's Lowcarb Page at http://homestead.juno.com/ellaxiak1/files/ or www.elaxiak.com
discusses the common 6 week stall that low carbers exeperience after starting a low carb plan. If you are stalled at the 5 to 6 week mark, you might consider the following:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Common patterns of weight loss

From tracking a *lot* of people who become assimilated into the lowcarb lifestyle
(hehe...resistance is futile!) a pattern emerges....

the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported.

This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this.

OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks.

Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each! So... what gives?

Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin antidiuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occuring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite supression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing. From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging.

Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself ) is helpful.

Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet.

By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited. Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight.(whichever is the lower number)

Take-home message: Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occuring. Don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress!

It has been a while since this was first posted please if the links do not work then I am sorry, but they were the ones to credit with this info. and I do not want to take credit for info I did not produce.

Last edited by nasus40; 01-26-2006 at 05:36 AM.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 04:19 PM   #2  
Slimwithin

What great information for anybody on ANY kind of weight loss program. Thanks for sharing it with us.
LindaBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 07:06 PM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

Bringing this up for Rock Star
Old 09-10-2001, 10:37 PM   #4  
Trying to find my way.

Just wanted to bring this p for some of our newbies and remind the oldies the importance of water!!
Old 09-11-2001, 04:39 PM   #5  
gbo

Thanks Sue!!! With all the information I have and all the professionals I have worked with you have just completed the picture. Now I know why that stupid 15 lbs defeated me, KNow I am armed and ready for battle. I could kiss you. You are wonderful!!!!!!!! Thank you , Thank You, THANK YOU> YOU ANGEL!!!!!!!
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 04:43 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

I have to admit that it did not come from me. I just carried it from another site but i too had always been defeated at 20! si i am with you on that one!!! your welcome
Old 06-20-2002, 10:28 PM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

bringing this up for newbies
Old 06-21-2002, 08:44 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Stalls, I thought this was about bathrooms haaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 10:24 AM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

Actually this does make you end up in "Stalls"
Old 01-25-2003, 12:19 AM   #10  
surprising everyone

Out of all the times I have heard all the health nuts say "drink your 8 glasses of water every day" this is the first time it was actually explained to me...Bravo!
Jenn4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:37 PM   #11  
Trying to find my way.

bringing this up again
Old 10-08-2003, 04:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!!!!!!!

This is ME. I am in week 6, with no loss for most of the past 4. About to give up and think, it works for everyone but me. Off to fill my water jug! Thanks again........

PS People have started to notice my loss even though the darn scale doesnt.
barbmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:47 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

Nasus - I can't get that link to work.
barbmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 04:22 PM   #14  

Default Re: Info about stalls especially in the first few weeks

Good one! I would say that the amount of fat lost in the period described would be more like 3lbs and up to 5 in some cases, but the to-and-fro is what often happens, but not always. Some people are more straight-line, and some others plateau for longer periods Lots of water, every day, helps!

Quote:
Originally posted by nasus40
I found this in another forum thought that it may be helpful for those that are begining and feel that it is to frusterating. copy it and put it in your folder for later reading, it also pertaines to those who have fallen badly and have gotten back on the wagon.

This article from Lynne's Lowcarb Page at http://homestead.juno.com/ellaxiak1/files/ or www.elaxiak.com
discusses the common 6 week stall that low carbers exeperience after starting a low carb plan. If you are stalled at the 5 to 6 week mark, you might consider the following:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Common patterns of weight loss

From tracking a *lot* of people who become assimilated into the lowcarb lifestyle
(hehe...resistance is futile!) a pattern emerges....

the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported.

This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this.

OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks.

Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each! So... what gives?

Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin antidiuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occuring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite supression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing. From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging.

Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself ) is helpful.

Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet.

By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited. Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight.(whichever is the lower number)

Take-home message: Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occuring. Don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress!
rover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:10 AM   #15  
Baby Steps

ah--a reminder to me not to watch the scale but the fit of the size 12's I keep trying on (but can't stand to wear for long). lol
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote