Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #1  

Unhappy Hypothyroid question

Hi,

I think that I accidentally posted this in another thread...sorry about that.
My doctor told me today that she thinks that I have an underactive thyroid, and I am getting a blood test in a couple of days so that I can fast. I was wondering what your sypmtoms have been/how you figured out you had this? I cannot lose weight at all, my nails have been stuck at the bed for at least 5 years, they are really really thin and brittle...I dont bite them, and my hair is dry/ hard to grow. I am also SO tired all of the time, and constipated a lot. I read mild depression is a symptom, which I have.

My doctor seems to think that this is the cause, because my calorie intake is fine ( I showed her my eating habbits) and I exercise a lot, and still no weight losss...I think that I have gained weight actually.

If I do have hypothyroidism, do the meds help you a lot? I would appreciate any information/ advice you guys can provide me with.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

I responded to your other thread .

Meds have helped me a lot. My main symptom was extreme fatigue, and the meds have addressed that. I went on these meds before I started working on my weight, so I don't know if I would have had problems losing weight without them or not. Good luck to you!
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:49 AM   #3  
Movin on down the scale

I also answered in the other thread...but yes EXTREME fatigue, cold, sleeplessness, weight gain, lack of abilility to loose. The meds will definately help, like I said, but it will take a while (maybe a couple months) to get them adjusted properly for you, since each persons dosage is different. Good Luck to you let me know if you have more questions, or need more support, just PM me.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:11 AM   #4  

Default Thyroid

Hello. I have underactive thyroid also. learn about armour and how soy and fluoride affect the thyroid. there is a wonderful site www.thyroid.about.com go there you willlearn alot. Marion
remiteas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:41 AM   #5  
Movin on down the scale

Here are the tell tale signs of sluggish thyroid:
Low body temperature, dry skin/hair, (red hair is at particular risk for low thyroid), inappropriate weight gain and/or an inability to lose weight, brittle nails, insomnia and/or narcolepsy, poor short-term memory and concentration, fatigue, headaches and migraines, premenstrual syndrome and related problems, menstrual irregularities, depression, hair loss (including outer third of eyebrows), low motivation and ambition, cold hands and feet, fluid retention, dizziness or lightheadedness, irritability, easy bruising, skin problems/infections/acne, infertility, dry eyes/blurred vision, heat and/or cold intolerance, low blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, digestive problems (irritable bowel syndrome, acid indigestion, constipation, etc.), poor coordination, diminished sex drive, reduced or excessive sweating, frequent colds/sore throats, asthma/allergies, slow healing, itchiness, food cravings, recurrent infections, food intolerances, increased susceptibility to substance abuse, anxiety/panic attacks, yellow-orange coloration on skin (particularly palms), yellow bumps on eyelids, slow speech, thickened tongue with scallop-like indentations, fluid in the ears, etc.

Here is what the site says about vegetables/diet:

The hypothyroid patient also needs to pay particular attention to diet. Molasses, egg yolks, parsley, apricots, dates, prunes, fish, chicken and raw milk and cheeses can supply nutrients necessary for proper thyroid function(3). On the other hand vegetables from the cabbage family should be limited and include broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, turnips, mustard greens, kale, spinach, Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, rutabagas, horseradish, radish and white mustard(3,5). These vegetables are often called goitrogens because they have been shown to decrease thyroid hormone production as effectively as prescription anti-thyroid drugs such as thiouracil. (5) Because these foods are antioxidant-rich, supplying other vegetables or even nutritional supplements is advisable.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #6  
Running Wild

i too was diagnosed finally. the meds the first doc put me on didnt work. but then again the pharmacy gave me the generic and well that just wont do. then i finally got in to see an endocronologist who checked me for TONS of things and put me on a higher dose of synthroid.

i have lost a bit and know that my metabolism is better, but either i need higher dosage or my age has just caught up with me. cause i work out like crazy and well, i am not losing anymore thats for sure.

my symptoms were extreme fatigue, no appetite, gaining weight with no change to diet/workout schedule, slow to heal, cold all the time

good luck!!! and follow the rules of the meds for them to work!!
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #7  

Thyroid medications have to be monitored and changed as needed...3-6 months until the dosage is correct, every 6 months after. If you have a change, you should be rechecked in 6 weeks to see if it is enough. Just working out will not cause weight loss. Or you may not be eating enough for what you are working out. A MODERATE exercise program and food plan will get the weight off.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #8  
Molly Bloom

S/C/G: 305/278/145

Height: 5'6"

I take armour also, but am still having trouble regulating TSH.
I have 'Hashimoto's thyroiditis' - underactive. Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remiteas
Hello. I have underactive thyroid also. learn about armour and how soy and fluoride affect the thyroid. there is a wonderful site www.thyroid.about.com go there you willlearn alot. Marion
MollyB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:36 AM   #9  

I heard somewhere that Hashimoto's thyroiditis could be aided with Coconut oil. I don't know if it's true, but why not check up?

Love,
Lily
Lilian is offline   Reply With Quote