Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #1  

Question Can't Afford Gym Membership Will Free Weights Work

Is it possible to build a nice muscular body with just free weights? Or is it a Must that I join a gym or purchase a home gym...I don't see gym membership in the budget anytime soon...

chiarij
chiarij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:02 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarij
Is it possible to build a nice muscular body with just free weights? Or is it a Must that I join a gym or purchase a home gym...I don't see gym membership in the budget anytime soon...

chiarij
You can build a superior physique with bodyweight exercises, if you really work at it.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Lordy, I hope so. I seriously could never make myself get ready and go out to a gym. Over the years I've collected all kinds of equipment and I do things at home.
However, at this site .... http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php ...
there are dumbell work outs, work outs with just household objects .... lots of good ideas and laughs.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:10 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarij

chiarij
Sure you can!

Check out Krista Scott Dixon's Weight Training for Women website - she has a plethora of ideas...such as:

The Basics of a Home Gym (without spending a lot of buckaroos)

No Weights? No Problem! (using everyday household items).

Some other ideas from moi...

If you have an active www.craigslist.org in your area, check the 'for sale' classifieds - I'm betting you find folks who have weights that have been gathering dust in their garage and are selling for mucho cheapo prices (for example a couple years back we scored a curling bar and about 150 lbs of plates for $20.00 from a Craigslist ad!). Ebay is a good source too *IF* the seller is LOCAL - you can't ship weights via media mail, thus the postage will slaughter your budget big time!

Do you have a Play it Again Sports in your area? Check them out for ultra-low prices on used weights and stuff. Likewise thrift shops if you have the patience to go through them (I'm NOT one of those people...)

As far as gyms go - if you can't afford to join a gym (check out 24 Hour Fitness for example - they usually have very good deals and you can try dickering down the 'initiation' fee) but WANT to work out in a gym setting - check out your local Parks & Recreation Department *or* community college/adult school. You might be pleasantly surprised at what's available out there if you do some research!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #5  

Yes you can do this with free weights at home. I recommend looking at krista's page www.sumptuous.com to get some info on excercises and programs.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Does this mean that great minds think alike? Or have we all been learning to listen to Mrs Jim?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Total advocate of no gym here! I'm just generally tight and can't be bothered with the time it takes GOING to the gym - I'd rather just pick stuff up off my living room floor than treck half way across town to pick stuff up off someone else's floor!

Also for cardio, what's the point of a gym? Treadmill = running outside, stationary bike (stationary???) = get on yer bike! Stepper = live on 9th flr! Get the drift...

I also love stumptuous I just bought a good strength training book by Anita Bean too, all her books are sound.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #8  

THANKS! you guys, you all was a great help and very encouraging.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #9  

This week, Target has a weight bench with 150lbs of weight for about $80. It's not super fancy, but it might work for you.
trixiepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #10  

trixiepup,

thank you I will definitely check it out!!! That would be great.