Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-28-2005, 12:33 PM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Stomach flu, dropping weight, afraid to gain it back!

I just needed to post this somewhere and get some feedback. My husband isn't being very understanding and my mother is saying 'Wow! Great job!'

I have the stomach flu. My daughter picked it up at Sunday school, and then gave it to the rest of us. Unfortunately, while her problem was vomitting, that's not what everyone else in the family has gotten ( ).

So, my goal for this month was to lose 5 pounds. I didn't want to be disappointed by not meeting my goal, so I decided to start low the first month. As you can see by my signature, I've gone well past my goal, and still have 3 weeks left. This isn't bragging - I have been taking in <600 calories a day for 3 days straight, taking care of three kids, nursing a hungry infant, taking care of the house, and suffering the very embarrassing symptoms of the stomach flu. Not only am I exhausted beyond belief, I've been dropping 2-3 pounds a day for the last 3 days.

I know this isn't healthy. I always lose weight when I'm sick. But...I'm kind of enjoying watching the number go down and in some sick way I hope it keeps up.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Wow...are you getting enough hydration? Your nutrition is very important, especially if you are still nursing.

If your weight loss keeps going as it has done, you should call your doctor ASAP.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Relax. Your body will help you through this. Just make sure you're taking in lots of clear fluids. Tea, apple juice, ginger ale .... if you can take a multi vit, that'd be good.
Once your overactive bowel settles down a bit, try a few nibbles of food. Rice, apple sauce and banana, are good ones to start with. If it flares up again, cut back. It'll pass.
If you should, however, develope rectal bleeding or a fever, you should see your doc. You may be into something more interesting than a tummy bug.
Yes, guess what I do for a living
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:01 PM   #4  
playin' for keeps

Ugh! Being sick stinks. Hope that you feel better soon.

I totally hear you with the scale thing. It's such a tease when it drops quickly like that. The thing you have to remember is that it's not real. It's not fat that's going away so quickly, it's everything that comes into your body running right through it. It's also a sign that you're sick. If your goal is to take care of yourself, then you need to be okay with it when the scale goes back up as you recover.

Just think of it as a sneak preview of numbers to come on the scale.

Hang in there - and don't beat yourself up when your flu loss disappears. In this case, the scale going up will be a good thing. Concentrate on getting well right now, and then get back to losing once you're 100%. Your body will thank you for taking care of it in the long run.

Good luck!

cheers,
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #5  

We all had a bug a month or two back. It actually broke the stall I was having and the weight's continued to come off (slowly) since - so it can be sustainable!

I was very careful to keep up with the 2.5 litres of water per day, however ill I felt as I was worried that otherwise, the weight I lost when ill would come straight back on. It didn't.

As the others have said, if breastfeeding, it's a different matter. If you can't face much food right now, how about using Slimfast or something that at least has protein and nutrients in? I'd also make sure I was taking a multivitamin supplement, if I was you!

PhatP x
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote