Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #1  

Default New Scales - Groan...

Ok, so I finally decided to bring home my professional scales from the office because I figured nobody needed the accuracy more than I do.

And sure enough (these are the weighted, stand on scales that are properly calibrated) I weighe like nearly 7 pounds more than on the ones I've been using at home for the past year!

So I know that means that the last year my total loss hasn't changed. Its just the number that changed. And I'm actually down about a pound and a quarter on the good scales since Christmas. But its a psychological bummer just the same and I was NOT happy to weigh in over 200 again!

Still... its the same downward climb and I'm ok with it. But I wanted to have an honest weight so I changed my ticker. With explanations till I'm back under 200 on these scales.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #2  

Oh... and its THAT time of the month too so I'm also accounting for the usual water gain.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

hubs - you're not beating yourself up over this are you?????? you've done phenomenally well -

although reality really does bite, you're doing great and will be in one-derland for sure very very soon.

chin up, darlin!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:00 PM   #4  

Well yeah. I've been stressing about it pretty hard. The marker for me was actually 197. When I was given Depo Provera at experimental dose way back like 34 years ago at the tender young age of 15, my weight jumped from 123 to 197 inside of 16 weeks. Of course many, many other things went wonko with my health over the next few years but 197 was the marker for recovery for me if you kwim. So getting below that meant I was recovering ME in a way that was just really important. I know I'll get there but I feel a little like I got tricked and a little like I was kidding myself. That's why I brought the good scales home you know? So I'd be in no way kidding myself. I wanted to step on those scales and not have it depend on how I was standing, where they were sitting, all that stuff we do up to and including cutting our toenails to weigh in as low as we can.

So there ya go. I'll be ok. Good news is I didn't mess up over Christmas despite the outrageous baking I did for everyone else. I'm still sugar free for three plus months and that's huge. Still no breads either. But boy, was I tempted a few times!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:42 PM   #5  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

And here I thought you changed your numbers so you could be closer to me!

I think my scale is off about 5 lbs from my doctor's scale, but the scale I do have at home is terrific and it doesn't matter how you stand on it, it always weighs you the same. I actually put a 10 lb bag of flour on it and it weighed 10 lbs, so it must be that by the time I get to doc's, I've gained 5 lbs in breakfast, clothing and shoes.

Anyway, Hubs, I've no doubt you'll get to your goal and beyond. I have the utmost faith in you girl ~ if anyone can do it, YOU CAN.

xxoo
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:07 PM   #6  

Hubs, do cut yourself a bit of a break!! It's only a number. I always say that about my age -- it's a LARGE number (56), but only a number.

You have done sooo well!! Just remember that last 25 pounds can be slow to go.... but, seeing the obstacles you have conquered so far, I have no doubt they WILL go! And they won't be back. That's the main thing! And a whole nother adventure for you.

Anyway, just turn up your nose at that number and keep on doing like you are doing! Because you are doing just great.
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:20 PM   #7  

ughh. I'm trying to pretend it doesn't matter.

So anyway, here's what I did to make for a positive spin on numbers. I swore I wasn't going to replace clothes for another 20 pounds. Well, another 25 now. But anyway, this last 30 pounds has made for NONE of my clothes fitting me and most especially my pants. And if I don't have firm abdominal support I really get into severe discomfort. So this morning I decided that's it. I'm going to just plain get rid of all these clothes that are anywhere from a size 24 down and go buy two new pairs of pants. So I tried on 20's. Swimmming swimming. Then 18's. They fit just comfortably around the elephant belly. (That's code for my apron btw.) Loose around the waist but not too loose. Then I thought ok, this is ridiculous but I'll try on the 16. Now I couldn't dream of wearing those around the belly right now, but I can see it coming. And I haven't been able to fit into an 18 for more than 34 years!

So see, if I can make the numbers work for me its not so bad. Its so much easier to say I've lost 147 pounds than to say I weigh 200. You know?

Thanks for the support and perspective.

I feel like for the first time in my life, really.... I'm not doing this alone.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:04 PM   #8  
unemployed karma fairy

Woot! You must be on cloud nine, girlfriend! I am so happy for you!

Oh, and LOVE the pachyderm...
Old 12-31-2005, 05:49 PM   #9  

Hubs, it sounds like we have some of the same challenges and history, but I wasn't able to pick up on what you are doing now that is making a difference. Are you doing a particular "program", or doing the sugar free thing totally or what (if you don't mind me asking..). Sounds like you've had some great success and come so far. Congrats!

Susan
SusanBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #10  

I needed to go back here and check where I was at a month ago because I'm feeling so discouraged. But, I realize that this time last month I'd changed scales and I was up to 201 on the new scales. Now I'm at 194.5. In the middle of that I dropped down and then up and then retained water and since I'd gone from one set of scales to another I felt like I was getting nowhere. But I am. Just not fast is all. Still, its more than 6 pounds this month and considering how hard my body has been fighting me this month that's not so bad.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate this?!?!?!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #11  
unemployed karma fairy

It sucks, Hubs. But keep that stiff upper lip. Look how well you've done and didn't even know it.

BTW, where's your ticker?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #12  

Dunno! I disappeared today for some reason. Let's see what happens when I post now. And where's yours?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:23 PM   #13  

There, I'm back.

So how are your losses these days? I did take note when we spoke earlier of you saying you don't have esophageal spasms any more so that's really good news. I didn't know other people got hiccups though! I do too! lol
Old 02-02-2006, 11:29 PM   #14  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

I know what you mean by scales. I've been debating about buying a new one because the one I have is very wonky. One minute it says I weight 190, then 5 mins later when I get back on, it says I weight 187. It's one of those scales that can't make up its mind. LOL
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #15  

Has anybody out there had a hernia? I did, my whole incision had to be repaired. I now have this piece of mesh sewed to my abdominal muscle, and it bothers me sometimes. It's been a year and a half, but I still have some soreness and a funny feeling. Can anyone relate?
mama annie is offline   Reply With Quote