Old 12-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #1  
PurpleSunshine

Default Question about LAWL??

I have been on WW off and on for almost 3 years. I had a baby in 2004 and have been trying to get the last 20 lbs off for almost a year now. Just feel like I need a new plan to get me back in the hang of things. I'm thinking about making a consultation today or tomorrow at the clinic close to me. I was just wondering if someone could give me a base of what the diet is about? I know WW is concentrating on calories, fiber and fat and just wondering what the main structure of LAWL is? I've tried Atkins and I know that I can't follow a strict no carb diet - it just isn't for me.....I get very ill and feel too deprived....

Could anyone give me any ideas on how the diet is structured? Not wanting any specifics - just some ideas -
Thanks in advance!!!

Heather
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #2  

Hi heather, there is some great info back in the threads some about the program. plus if you look over our threads you will get an idea of how the plan actually works for us.

Basically LAWL focuses on specific foods (you will not be able to eat anything and just count the points like in WW, but you have a wide range of foods you can eat) and portion sizes. You are allotted so many proteins, starches, veggies, fruits, fats, dairies and LA lites (if you choose to have them…if not you will get more real food added to your plan)

You would basically start on gold if you do lites and would be given 2 proteins (chicken about 6oz, pork, beef- about 4 oz) 1 dairy, 3 veggies, 3 fruits, 1 fat, and 2 starches per day (typically under 100 calories each) check out the journal threads to see what typical menus look like for the plan.

This is not a no-carb plan, but it is a good carb/low-carb plan. However, you do get 2 LA lites a day to help with sweet cravings.

Like I said there is a lot more to the program so browsing through our threads will help you a lot. I am not sure what area you are in, but many centers have $3 specials going on now. You are asked to pay for you weightloss weeks, stabilization weeks and maintenance weeks up front, but depending on the center you go too, many people have made compromises with their plans and only paid for weightloss, or some of maintenance, etc. My personal suggestion would be to at least always go from some of maintenance, because you don’t want to loose all the weight and then gain it back because you lost the support.

Good luck!!
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:10 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

Heather, there are a lot of former WW'ers here...this plan is definitely more structured and it DEFINITELY works!
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #4  

Count me in, I'm one of the former WW people. While I really liked WW it was not structured enough for me, I had too much freedom to eat pure junk.
mnpeach00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #5  
PurpleSunshine

WOW!! Thanks ladies for the replies - I'm really confused now though - I just came back from the center and it is going to cost $409 for the Success program... I just hate to spend that kind of money for 24 lbs??? not to mention the $28/week on Lites (from the recomendation) -

I know someone mentioned the knudson juice for the take-off - but is there anything you can substitute the lites for from the stores?
Any advice on this??
Old 12-27-2005, 02:58 PM   #6  

A lot of people on here use Luna bars. Personally I really like the Pria Complete Nutrition bars (170 cal./6g fat/5g fiber/11g protein and is high in a lot of vitamins and minerals). You can find these bars at the grocery store for about $1. You can also check out e-bay.
mnpeach00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #7  

you can substitute Luna bars for the lites, many just tell the centers they bought lites off of e-bay or got them from a friend and use them instead.

I'm not sure what the success program is, so can't help you with that one...that cost does cover your stabilization and maintenance right?
Old 12-27-2005, 03:06 PM   #8  
Katie

Height: 5'1

You can also do LAWL without the bars. Karen lost all of her weight without them, and I do not eat them either, and am doing fine without them too. There are some others here that do not do them either. You just have to tell your center that you do not want to do them, and you need a plan that allows for it.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #9  
PurpleSunshine

shennie - Yes, that covers 6 weeks of stab and 34 of maint - you just don't have the option of getting the money back - that is all.

mnpeach00 - Yes, I feel the same about WW - I know it will work, I just have too much room to eat junk. From what I've learned so far - the LAWL program seems to be structured similar to the CORE program??

So, if I wanted to start take-off tomorrow by buying some of the knudson juice - what else does the 2day process consist of? Can you give me that info? From what I've gathered so far it is mainly protein and veggies - 64 oz of water and the jucie 4 x a day?

I'm going to discuss the $$ with the DH tonight and see what he thinks. Overall, I think it is reasonable except for the cost of the Lites and the 150 personal enhancement package - which is like the startup cost....

Thanks for all your advice - you ladies are wonderful.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 PM   #10  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Good luck Heather!!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:55 PM   #11  

heather, you are only getting 34 weeks of maintenance....does the center have the $3 special?

when you pay the fees you will get your original take-off juice for "free" so their is no need to do the take-off before hand really. were you going to try to do it on your own?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:15 PM   #12  

Hi!

I have a suggestion! First, read their adds and be certain that you know what the advertised price is and what the extended price should be for the number of weeks you will be joining. Make sure they match up.

Now, decide on a fair price. Maybe cut the number of maintenance in half. Whatever you feel is right. Then call the manager. Be insistant that you need a manager only. Tell the manager you are on a budget and tell them what the budget is for weight loss. Explain that you really want to do the plan but it has to fit your budget. Everything is negotiable!!!!

Also, I am not a member but have been considering it. In my research I have read many people do the first couple of take off days only to return and be told that they need to buy something more in order to get that "guarantee" they talk about. So, be sure you read all the paperwork and get it in writing that you will not need to buy anything further and the guarantee will apply.

Cat
ICANCHANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #13  

Oh, one more thing. You have more of the upper hand if you negotiate over the phone. Same thing when buying a car. If they drag you into their shop they can tire you out. You get bored while they go back and forth, you have already invested the trip and so on which makes it easier for you to cave.

good luck

Cat
ICANCHANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:51 PM   #14  

There is no gaurantee without doing the lites, however, if you follow the plan you can still reach goal without the lites (many here have)

there is also no rebate without doing the lites on maintenance. I think you already know that the lites cost more, right?

you can substitute the lunas and say you are using lites however

you have only half of maintenance right now at only 34 weeks, full maintenance is 54 weeks.. that's why I asked if they had the $3 special, because it should be far less than that for the full maintenance with the $3. you can check onthe website to see if your are has the $3 coupon also, but they expire on December 31.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:57 PM   #15  
PurpleSunshine

Shennie - Yes I was planning on trying it on my own for a few weeks and see if I can do it succesfully. I am pretty good a staying on track and being accountable.

They are offering me two different plans - the one they call Success Plus which has the 52 week maintanance plan and offers the money back (1/2) while in maintenance. OR you can choose just the Success plan which offers the same in weight loss weeks, stabilzation(6) and then only 34 weeks of maint, but offers no money back for goal weight success. Right now they are offering $5/week for weight loss - maint and that really doesn't hit too hard - it is the extra 150 they suck out of you for the paperwork processing and blood work. Then of course they add the Lites in there too - but I think you guys have given me a great way to sub for the bars with the Lunas..... I think I will be able to do this on my own. I have a friend that is going to get me some information regarding the different color plans. Hopefully I can hang out with you chicks and have some success.....
Thanks again for all your wonderful replies - They are greatly appreciated!! Hope to join you ladies soon over on the monthly thread!!

Heather