Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-22-2005, 09:51 AM   #1  

Red face Please tell me if this is what I should be shooting for?!

Ok, heres the deal....I have been doing well (so I thought) with calorie counting. My friends hubby is semi into fitness and nutrition (I think he just thinks he knows everything because hes lost lots of weight). Anyhow, he checked out my fitday.com entry and says that I am not eating what I should be. I have been checking out some peoples food diaries and frankly, I am eating like a queen!!!!! Please analyze a sample day for me so that I can get an idea of where I need to improve. All input is good input as far as I am concerned....please feel free to say whats on your mind.

B-Granola Bar, 8oz water
S-100 Cal snack pack (peanut butter cookies mmmm)
L-Whole wheat tortilla, 1.5 slices of turkey, 1.5 slices bacon, veggies 1 T mircle whip light, 2 8 oz glasses of water
S-Whole wheat pretzels with 2 T salsa con queso
D-4 oz Chicken breast, 1 serving potatos, 1 serving corn
S-Rasp yogurt, peaches, OJ smoothie with dollop of cool whip light

Total for the Day : about 1600

This was on the high end for me because I didnt work yesterday and when I work, I eat far less because I dont have time to stop and eat while working. Typically I am somewhere between 1200 and 1300. I think that I eat pretty rounded foods.....but he says I am eating to many processed foods? I dont have time to cook for every meal. Sometimes I make egg whites for bkfst, or oatmeal and then I always cook my dinner....but I dont know where else I can improve....please help. I really want this to work. Anything I dont already know, I really would like to know so that this can be a successful weightloss journey!

Thank you guys SO much!
candoitby06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:06 AM   #2  
Mel

I agree that you are eating very processed foods, and where are your VEGETABLES????

I've been accused of being way too hard-core for some folks taste, but here are my comments:

Quote:
B-Granola Bar, 8oz water
I'd go for plain oatmeal with a 1/2 and apple and a half cup low fat cottage cheese here, or a home made protein muffin if you need a portable breakfast

Quote:
S-100 Cal snack pack (peanut butter cookies mmmm)
Yum, but totally empty calories. Fruit and some string cheese or a protein shake and some fruit would be a better choice

Quote:
L-Whole wheat tortilla, 1.5 slices of turkey, 1.5 slices bacon, veggies 1 T mircle whip light, 2 8 oz glasses of water
Leave out the bacon and add more vegies!

Quote:
S-Whole wheat pretzels with 2 T salsa con queso
Again, empty calories. Add some protein.

Quote:
D-4 oz Chicken breast, 1 serving potatos, 1 serving corn
Corn and potato are both starches, and don't count as green vegetables. Have one or the other and add a green vegetable. Broccoli, string beans, a mixed green or spinach salad with a squeeze of lemon juice or salsa for dressing....

Quote:
S-Rasp yogurt, peaches, OJ smoothie with dollop of cool whip light
Lots of sugar here.... How about some carrot sticks and hummus? an apple a a tablesoon of natural peanut butter?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #3  

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it....I'm having troubles shopping because the hubby is clearly NOT interested in dieting.....so I am going to have to make some huge changes in the way we shop if I am going to stick to a plan like that. Its hard to eat super healthy when I am watching him stuff his face with doritos and the like kind while I am eating fruits and veggies. Its basically going to have to be a complete life change....ek. But I really am taking your advice and going to make some changes....Thanks!!! Congrats on your 62 pound loss! Thats incredible! Way to go!!
candoitby06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Morgan -- Don't feel you have to make all the changes at once, either! Start with the things you feel would be the easiest to change and the foods you know you like and go from there.

Also, you may be able to lose weight effectively eating those 1600 cals/day, especially if you're exercising. You might want to try it out and see! Eating more calories makes it a little easier to get all the nutrition in that you need.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:36 AM   #5  
Movin on down the scale

Morgan, I completely agree with MEL, your calorie consumption is fine, but your food choices are lacking...I would take Mels suggestions to heart...she really seems to put a lot of time into giving you better ideas....you have seen a loss so far, so now it is time to fine tune your plan. I know what you mean about hubby not being interested, but you need to maybe just find a wal to implement some healthier choices into the families regular meals, and eat smaller servings and enjoy eating, just dont "live to eat". Good Luck
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #6  
Exercise Queen

Mel made some great suggestions to you! I second the idea of ditching the granola bar for breakfast. Check out the nutrition facts on it, I bet there are very close to cookies! All calories are not equal!!! String cheese and sliced turkey breast with a can of V8 is my favorite portable breakfast.

A suggestion for yogurt is to buy low fat plain yogurt and add sugar free jello powder to flavor. Yogurt does have a lot of sugar, but it's "natural" sugar, same as fruit so it is still a healthy choice.

And yes it is going to have to be a complete lifestyle change!
stagemomx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

It's not really that hard to feed yourself more leanly and cleanly than the rest of your family. (when I'm being good) I make meat, a starch and two vegetables but I only eat the meat and vegetables. Or if I'm making nice fish and lighter fare ... the construction workers can have a couple slices of nice wholegrain bread.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #8  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I totally LOVE granola bars. If you can't not buy them, I suggest All Bran bars. I eat them a lot for breakfast, usually with yogurt for protein and maybe a piece of fruit as well. Maybe it's not ideal but it's still pretty healthy and tasty.

Overall you'd definitely be better off by including more whole grains, vegetables and fruits and also trying to eat protein at pretty much every meal and snack to keep your metabolism up. You might want to check out a web site with info about the glycemic index, cause it really shows how processed foods can affect you negatively compared to unprocessed ones.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It's always better to make more nutritious choices, like whole foods instead of processed foods and complex carbs instead of refined carbs. And vegetables, real vegetables.

That said, you also need to have a plan that you can follow, one that fits with your life. If all you can manage is a granola bar (and it should always be a healthy-type bar), then do that. It's not ideal but it's better than not eating 'cause you didn't have time to cook oatmeal, and then succumbing to a donut . . .
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote