Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/164/140

Height: 5' 6

Default Another scale question!

This is just really bothering me! The other day I went to the gym and weighed myself. The scale said I had lost two pounds since the last time I weighed myself which had been nearly two weeks ago. I was really excited! So I went and did my workout and just for the heck of it I weighed myself again. This time the scale said I had not lost two pounds but was at the same weight I was nearly two weeks ago!?!?! What the heck is this about? It's driving me nuts!!!
silversparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #2  
LLV

It's just normal weight fluctuation, hon. Water. Not fat.

Weigh yourself once and then walk away and don't look back.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:29 AM   #3  

I know I should just walk away...but it is so hard!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:51 AM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

You will always weigh more after you workout due to water retention in your muscles and other physiological factors caused by exercise. You should never weigh (or measure) yourself after working out -- especially cardio -- it's the absolute WORST time to step on the scale, and you'll never get an accurate reading.

I weigh about 3 lbs more after a workout (I've tried it because my trainer told me I'd "gain" after a workout and I wanted to see for myself).
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #5  

Interesting! I had no idea. Thanks for sharing that information! Makes me feel a little better.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBassets
You will always weigh more after you workout due to water retention in your muscles and other physiological factors caused by exercise. You should never weigh (or measure) yourself after working out -- especially cardio -- it's the absolute WORST time to step on the scale, and you'll never get an accurate reading.

I weigh about 3 lbs more after a workout (I've tried it because my trainer told me I'd "gain" after a workout and I wanted to see for myself).
Only if you drink a lot and don't perspire. I usually weigh a couple of pounds less after a hard workout. In college they used to weigh us after football practice during training camp to make sure we were not dehydrating.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:15 AM   #7  

I had the same problem. I thought weighing myself frequently would motivate me, but just the opposite happened. I am going to weigh myself once a month now.
chrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertW
Only if you drink a lot and don't perspire.
Considering the fact that my cardio workout is the elliptical at elevation 14 and resistance level 17 for 45 SOLID MINUTES, I think I can safely say I'm PERSPIRING.

And yes, DESPITE perspiring, I still weigh 3 lbs MORE after a workout. And I don't particularly like the assumption that I DON'T perspire during a workout....I'm not an idiot just paddling along for no reason because that wouldn't be cardio then, would it?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #9  

Default Confused now!

Now I am all confused! I usually drink a bottle of water during my workout and I do sweat. I also do the elliptical and about 20-25 minutes of weight machines.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversparkle
Now I am all confused! I usually drink a bottle of water during my workout and I do sweat. I also do the elliptical and about 20-25 minutes of weight machines.
Silversparkle, my personal trainer has 3 different degrees in exercise physiology, sports medicine, etc. She says it is NORMAL for me to weigh 2 - 3 lbs more after a workout. I believe her. *Obviously* some people are different. I'd suggest you track your weight after your workouts for about a week to see whether it's normal for you to gain (if you want).

Obviously, you couldn't have gained 2 "real" lbs while working out unless you ate like 2 cheesecakes at the same time, right?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmiller
I had the same problem. I thought weighing myself frequently would motivate me, but just the opposite happened. I am going to weigh myself once a month now.
I weigh once a week and that's it. First thing in the morning, nothing on but a t-shirt, after I've used the bathroom.

LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #12  
Egy Kis Lany

Quote:
Obviously, you couldn't have gained 2 "real" lbs while working out unless you ate like 2 cheesecakes at the same time, right?
*laughs* That sounds like my kind of workout!!
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

mmm...cheesecake...

I have heard many times that your muscles retain more water after a workout, which is why you would weigh more. I'm different in that I usually weigh less after a workout (cardio on the elliptical, and yes, I sweat), but I tend to be different about a lot of things

HOWEVER--it's shouldn't make a damn bit of difference since there's no need to weigh yourself every hour
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:10 PM   #14  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

Wow.... I need to eat some cheesecake when I exercise!! Is that how we lose weight? I'm doing it all wrong.. ahhaha

Anyway, I would definately agree with Kate's trainer as well. I've read a lot on NOT to weigh yourself after exercising because you'll be heavier I usually weigh in the morning on a certain day... of course unless it's TOM then I don't weigh at all :P
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #15  

Quote:
Considering the fact that my cardio workout is the elliptical at elevation 14 and resistance level 17 for 45 SOLID MINUTES, I think I can safely say I'm PERSPIRING.

And yes, DESPITE perspiring, I still weigh 3 lbs MORE after a workout. And I don't particularly like the assumption that I DON'T perspire during a workout....I'm not an idiot just paddling along for no reason because that wouldn't be cardio then, would it?
Sorry, I should have said you are drinking 3# MORE water than you are perspiring. I didn't mean to imply that you are not breaking a sweat.

The weight has to come from somewhere.

I hope everyone here is aware of the dangers of overhydrating (hyponatremia) Hyponatremia among Runners in the Boston Marathon

Last edited by RobertW; 12-21-2005 at 01:45 PM.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote