Default Whole Wheat Pizza Crust - Phase 2 & 3

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust (Phases 2 & 3)

3/4 c. warm water
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/2 tsp sugar *real table sugar*
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
2.25 cups whole wheat flour

Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and sugar and allow to sit for 5 minutes. (Note: sugar substitutes cannot be used to activate yeast. In this small quantity real sugar is okay). Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Press into a round pizza sheet (spray with non-stick cooking spray first) and allow to sit for 15 minutes.

Top with no sugar added tomato/pizza sauce, part skim mozzarella and pizza toppings. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. Leftovers freeze well.

Notes: I have also made this recipe with 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour and the crust is a bit lighter this way (both variations are good). You can also double this recipe and use a large cookie sheet to make a sheet-style pizza
fireflynova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:11 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Firefly, do you need to prebake this before you add the toppings? We've made pizza crusts like this before without prebaking the crust and it always comes out unbaked on top.

I love fresh pizza crust though, so I'm excited to try this!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:50 AM   #3  

Laurie, I haven't tried this yet unfortunately. But I wouldn't think so, providing you don't make it 2 inches thick (like I'd be tempted too, I LOVE deep dish).. but I used to buy the pre made raw pizza dough from supermarkets (pre SBD) and use them as is with toppings, I assumed this one would be the same.

I'll try it today or tomorrow and let you know
Old 12-16-2004, 07:11 PM   #4  

Hint from someone who has made fresh bread crusts for 30 years........... After making the dough and preparing with the toppings, let the pizza rise for about 20 min or so before baking. This allows the crust to rise enough to not be doughy after baking.

Sounds like a good recipe.
Goin' Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 08:15 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm a bread maker too.
I would let the dough rise for about 90 minutes, punch it down and THEN form it into a crust. I prebake my crusts at 400F for about ten minutes before putting on the toppings. I also prebake and then freeze them ready to add toppings later.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:06 AM   #6  

Thanks for the input, Ruth!

Think this would make good dough for breadsticks? Sprinkled with Cheese even??
Old 03-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #7  

Default Tried it

I made this last week and my husband and father-in-law LOVED IT!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. It was not doughy, but it was a little heavy. I am going to try to find WW pastry flour at the store as recommended in the recipe. I will let it set next time, too.

I love breadsticks with butter and garlic from a local pizzeria and I think that I will make some of that from this dough next time.

Thanks for this recipe!!!

One more thing...I am going to add some italian seasoning and garlic powder to the dough next time, too. Brushing it with a little EVOO before baking would help, too. This recipe will become a staple in making dinner for me and my husband!!!!

Last edited by Schatzi; 08-07-2006 at 08:35 AM. Reason: clean up
mrscharleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:04 PM   #8  

We made this tonight. The texture is much different than a pizza you would buy at a restaurant but we really enjoyed it
*Tara* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I made this recipe tonight in the bread machine. I used 1 c ww flour, 1 c whole spelt (thanks Twynn!) and 1/4 c gluten then tossed some oregano, basil & garlic powder in. The dough had a really nice feel to it and tasted great. I combined tips and let it rise for about 20 minutes then baked it at 400 for 10 before topping and baking. Yum!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Mmm. I'm making this next time I make pizza for sure.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

SUper glad this got bumped. Id like to try it!
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote