Old 12-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #1  
LLV

Default The Official Vegetable Thread

Didn't know what else to call it

Anyway, although I adore vegetables, I'll admit I don't eat enough of them. So I was thinking of a thread where we could post the veggies we eat every day so we can see what others are eating and also point a finger at ourselves and find out if we're eating enough of them. Some days I eat quite a few, other days barely any. So if any of you would like to join in on the veggie thread, I think it would be cool to see who's eating what. And that includes ALL veggies - from onions on your sandwich to the lettuce in your salads.

Today I've had spinach and carrots. A pretty decent helping, went way over the recommended daily allowance for Vitamin A. Unfortunately, though, that's all I've had. Unless pimentos count. I've got pimentos in my Egg Beaters egg salad which will go into a pita for my late night snack.

How's everyone else doing with the veggie intake? I'd love to know
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:59 PM   #2  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I love vegetables, and I get a pretty decent amount in most days. Today I've had a big heap of raw veggies: red cabbage, carrots, celery, and tomatoes, all of which are so delish I eat plain.

I'm just waiting for my dinner to cool enough to eat, and the vegetables on my plate are grilled asparagus with black pepper and a little grated nutmeg, and two thick slices of onion.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #3  
LLV

Sounds great!

Like I said, some days I eat lots and other days I don't eat that many at all. Depends on my meal plan for the day.

I eat a lot of onions, though. I eat onions in or on just about everything. Besides sweets, of course!
Old 12-17-2005, 09:44 AM   #4  
LLV

Today, so far, I have plans to put onions on my chicken sandwich (I found some great veggie 'chicken' burgers) and I'm going to have cauliflower as my side dish.

Maybe tonight I'll fix a big salad with lots of veggies on it.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #5  
Opulent

Here's a related thread

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ggie+challenge

I ate:

2 c. steamed cauliflower

1 c. steamed broccoli

1 c. raw purple cabbage
1/2 cup raw beets
1/2 cup raw carrots
2 green onions, sliced ( all mixed together as a slaw)

1 c. raw tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime salsa

1/2 cup guacamole

2 cups romaine lettuce

1 cup cooked carrot, zucchini, onion mix (in soup)

2 cups steamed kale
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:14 AM   #6  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

I ate cauliflower yesterday, blending to be like mash potato and celerysticks!
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:00 PM   #7  
LLV

Excellent guys

I also had lettuce and tomato on my sandwich and tonight I'm fixing myself a salad. Unfortunately, though, there's not many veggies on it except more onion. It's one of my favorite salads made with feta cheese, shrimp, imitation crab, sometimes black olive, and my favorite salad dressing, the Ken's Steakhouse Lite Sweet Vidalia Onion. I mix it with a little bit of the Kraft "Light Done Right" House Italian w/ olive oil. Then my 'croutons' are pieces of a grilled whole wheat tortilla. Just a little habit I picked up from a place where I used to get salads, they served the salads with grilled tortillas or flatbread. Part of the tortilla I tear up in little pieces and throw onto the salad and the rest of it I use as a 'scoop', putting some of the salad into the bigger pieces and folding it up and eating the salad inside the tortilla.

If that makes any sense, lol. I don't know.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:57 PM   #8  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Yesterday I had mashed celeriac & potatoes and green beans with lots of garlic with fish for lunch. I had cabbage coleslaw with a few raisins sprinkled in for dinner (with leftover stew).

Today I had szechuan shrimp w. mushrooms, woodear mushrooms, celery, onion, peppers, water chestnuts & carrots
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:11 PM   #9  

I just got finished with a baked potato topped with some salsa! I just tried this the other week and I love it! It's so quick too...just pop the potato in mic. for a few minutes!
runner15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:37 PM   #10  
Brit Chick

I'm glad you mentioned the salsa on a potato. I have some fresh pico de gallo (kind of like salsa) that I bought to have on my fish yesterday but I forgot because my fridge is such a mess! Anyway, I think I'll have it for dinner on a potato - good idea, thanks
Old 12-17-2005, 08:38 PM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpal
I'm glad you mentioned the salsa on a potato. I have some fresh pico de gallo (kind of like salsa) that I bought to have on my fish yesterday but I forgot because my fridge is such a mess! Anyway, I think I'll have it for dinner on a potato - good idea, thanks
I like putting fat-free cottage cheese on my potatoes. Kinda takes the place of sour cream, although I'll still sometimes use fat-free sour cream. But ever since I was younger, I love cottage cheese with potatoes. Even mashed. Anytime we have mashed potatoes, I have to have my cottage cheese, I like mixing them together, lol.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:55 PM   #12  
Brit Chick

I eat lots of fat free cottage cheese! It's a life-saver as I often have it with some fruit (Dole fruit cup) for dinner if I'm not very hungry. I always have a couple of cartons in the fridge. It sounds a bit unusual to me to have it on a potato as I think of it as more a "dessert" type of food. I'll have to give it a try some time. A lot less cals than butter! Does it kind of melt on the hot potato?
Old 12-17-2005, 10:08 PM   #13  
Opulent

Today I had:

3 cups of steamed broccoli

2 cups of steamed kale

1/3 a cup onion

6 cloves garlic

2 cups beet and red onion salad

1/2 cup baked butternut squash

1/2 cup baked pumpkin

1 cup spinach

Old 12-17-2005, 10:09 PM   #14  
Opulent

Quote:
It sounds a bit unusual to me to have it on a potato as I think of it as more a "dessert" type of food. I'll have to give it a try some time. A lot less cals than butter! Does it kind of melt on the hot potato?

The "milky" part gets more watery and the curds soften a bit but do not "melt".
Old 12-17-2005, 10:09 PM   #15  
LLV

Quote:
I eat lots of fat free cottage cheese! It's a life-saver as I often have it with some fruit (Dole fruit cup) for dinner if I'm not very hungry. I always have a couple of cartons in the fridge. It sounds a bit unusual to me to have it on a potato as I think of it as more a "dessert" type of food. I'll have to give it a try some time. A lot less cals than butter! Does it kind of melt on the hot potato?
Funny you say that, as I could never think of cottage cheese as a 'dessert' type of food, lol.

Melts? Well, no, not really, not like sour cream does. But it 'warms' itself into the potato. I love cottage cheese too, I always have some around. I also like eating it with my scrambled egg whites in the morning.