Old 12-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #1  
Obsessed with Johnny Depp

Default How do you get out of a plateau?

I've been at my current weight, 255, for 2wks now. I think it's time to get out of it!!! What can I do to get out of this RUT
badassgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #2  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

Basically if you're doing everything you're supposed to, I'd say wait it out Keep at it and doing the right thing The time will come when it starts falling off again!!
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I don't remember what plan you are on but if you are counting calories or WW you might want to check your portions, points or whatever. Are you also counting every bite, lick and taste you are having? Those really add up especially if making goodies this time of year. You might try switching up your caloric intake and have say a 1200 calorie day one day, followed by an 1800 the next, 1500 after that 1300, etc. As long as your weekly average is in the range you are shooting for you are doing well.
Do you exercise? If not, it's time to start. If you are, change it up and do more.

I say if you are maintaining this time of year you are ahead of the game. Most people do pack on a few extra pounds.

The most important thing to do is to not let this plateau get you down and make you give up. Like sabriena said--if you are doing everything right, it will kick itself soon.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think you have to be patient. I hit a plateau at exactly your weight. Try to find other ways to showcase the changes you're making -- look for those NSVs!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #5  
Obsessed with Johnny Depp

NSVs??
badassgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:12 PM   #6  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

NSV = Non scale victories I believe
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #7  

When I hit my first plateau I began varying my calorie allotment from day to day and switched up my exercise routine. The scale did start to move again but I can't say whether or not it was the changes I made. It might have ended that week anyway. But, at the time, the scale was my main focus. If nothing else, those changes kept me from getting bored while I waited for my weight to start dropping again.

I'm further along now and have learned to look at plateaus much differently. I've stopped worrying about them and just ride them out. I wish I had done so from the start. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. The reason I do this is because I've learned the hard way that we lose weight faster than our brain realizes we do. When the scale stops moving for a while it is the perfect time to shift my focus from physically losing weight to losing weight mentally. I take those 2-4 weeks and learn to really see what my body has become. I also look as a plateau as built in practice for maintainence. Once I finally hit my goal I'm not going to have the excitement of watching the scale go down. So, it is best that I learn NOW how to stay on track despite not having that gratification from week to week.

The most important thing is to not get frustrated. Just remember that your body knows what it is doing. Keep it fueled and moving and you WILL lose weight.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #8  

I had a plateau that lasted months, three long months. But I did my measurements twice during my plateau, and everything went down, except the scale. Weight loss is not an exact science.

As many others have said, if you know your on plan, just ride it, and let your body adjust to things before it whizzes down again. Your body needs plateaus, even if psychologically they are hard to deal with.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote