Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #1  

Default Hello

Hi Ladies.
I am a new member here. I was just wondering if you knew the best kind of cardio to do to lose body fat. I am 22 and haven't been to a gym consistantly in a month or so. I really want to get back into great shape. If you have any helpful hints please share.
Also, is there any typical diet to follow to lose weight?
Thanks,
Norts1sj
norts1sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:45 PM   #2  

I did Weight Watchers to lose the weight--I've kept it off 1 year! It's basically eat less, make healthier choices, exercise more and pay someone to tell you to do it. In all seriousness, I found it helpful because I like my leader and the group meetings are very supportive. I had a discount thru my health insurance. On the other hand, it's fairly expensive and you could certainly make a healthy eating plan on your own.

I grew up in Michigan--where do you live?
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by norts1sj
Hi Ladies.
I am a new member here. I was just wondering if you knew the best kind of cardio to do to lose body fat. I am 22 and haven't been to a gym consistantly in a month or so. I really want to get back into great shape. If you have any helpful hints please share.
Thanks,
Norts1sj
What sort of weight training regimen are you following, and what sort of physique is your goal? Do you want to look sleek and powerful or just thin? How strong are you now?

Cutting calories and doing lots of cardio will drop the weight. If you are trying to build muscle as well things are a bit more complicated, but you can get alot of good advice here.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #4  

hi robertw,

u wrote that muscle growth with weight loss is complicated is complicated. would u please elaborate.

i am 22 ...have lost weight in the past went down from 180 to 145....i want to lose another 15 pounds and stop feeling so squishy. i am soft all over, i want to be more toned and firm and want to reduce my body fat of 31%.

Any suggestions?

Juhi
Juhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:49 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norts1sj
Hi Ladies.
Thanks,
Norts1sj
The best kind of cardio - whatever you can do that you enjoy and can stick to (preferably more than one kind of cardio - that way you don't get bored!). Different strokes for different folks, KWIM? Some people enjoy jogging or the treadmill, others can only do small bits, and still others would rather watch PAINT DRY. Then there are those who enjoy step dance classes...unfortunately I tend to fall right on my a$$ (or think that I'm going to anyway) if I dare.

Variety is the spice of life so try lots of things, the possibilities are endless!! Just as long as it gets your heart pumpin', and makes you sweat...interval training (ie fartleks) is a great way to not only burn fat but improve your overall health as well.

As far as diets...there are so many but it really comes down to food quality and quantity - i.e. calories and optimal nutrition. Just find a way of eating that you can live with and promotes HEALTH along with scale loss, and forget about the Diet of the Season...don't get caught up in the fads...
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:45 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhi
hi robertw,

u wrote that muscle growth with weight loss is complicated is complicated. would u please elaborate.

i am 22 ...have lost weight in the past went down from 180 to 145....i want to lose another 15 pounds and stop feeling so squishy. i am soft all over, i want to be more toned and firm and want to reduce my body fat of 31%.

Any suggestions?

Juhi
I meant at the exact same time. Building muscle involves gaining "good" weight and requires a caloric surplus, whereas losing bodyfat requires a caloric deficit.

Most bodybuilders go through cycles of muscle building ("bulking") and then cutting to reduce fat. Almost everyone here is focused on the "cutting" aspect and we are lifting weights to retain muscle while reducing bodyfat.

Initially I just focused on lifting and I dropped 30# of weight while adding muscle, but I wasn't dieting. For the past year I have been dieting and doing enough weightlifting to retain 90-95% of my strength while losing about 70# of weight.

If you haven't been lifting, then you should see some fairly dramatic results from adding pretty much any sort weight training to your regimen. Even 30min. or so 3xweek should go along way towards firming up your physique and improving your body composition.

How tall are you? My wife is 5'6", 125# at 22% bodyfat and, although she is very casual about her lifting, she has dramatically improved her bone density and developed a much firmer physique. She basically does 3 sets of 10 reps on dumbell presses and curls plus a circuit in the machine room. Her fibromyalgia and rheumatic problems really limits how hard she can push herself, but even limited weight training gives great results.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #7  
Mel

Actually, lifting and exercising in general should help her fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed with fibro 24 years ago and the only times that I've been in chronic pain are when I stop exercising. Even during a flare, exercising decreases the pain levels. Without other complications, fibro shouldn't affect what she is capable of doing. My 1 rep max on a squat was 305 when I weighed 135, and my 3 rep bench was 125 when I weighed 120. The most I've ever deadlifted was 205 and I probably weighed about 130 at that point. I'm 5'3".

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:27 AM   #8  
I choose

Mel - why did you decide to keep leaning out? And did you see a big drop in your maxes when you hit 120?

305 rocks.
ShannonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:07 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Actually, lifting and exercising in general should help her fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed with fibro 24 years ago and the only times that I've been in chronic pain are when I stop exercising. Even during a flare, exercising decreases the pain levels.

Mel
Unfortunately it worsens the arthritis and arthralgia associated with her vaccine induced Rubella (the same RA27/3 vaccine in MMR), so it is a balancing act. If she exercises too hard she will set of a big viral flare up; if she doesn't exercise at all her bones will turn into swiss cheese. So far her rheumatologist has been very impressed with the positive effects of her weight training. She also swims for a bit of cardio.

Was your fibroyalgia triggered by a virus?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:09 PM   #10  
Mel

I think mine was triggered by an accident involving a sofa, a pick-up truck and a three year old. It's the only thing that happened around the time I started having pain.

Shannon-yes, I saw a real drop in my numbers when I went below 120, but I sure liked the way I looked. I maintained for about 6 months at 117, and looked ripped. I felt great, but was hungry most of the time. You'd think that would mean I could have eaten a little more without gaining, but unfortunately, not true. Other than the hunger, I fet very fit and strong. I don't care so much about how much I can lift as about how I feel and look, so I'm fighting to get back there again. I sure bought a lot of clothes! It would be nice to wear them.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote