Old 12-10-2005, 07:21 PM   #1  
Finding my way back

Default I bought a scale!

Oh my lord. I think I'm about to hyperventilate. I bought a scale today that weighs and calculates body fat. I haven't even had a scale since I was a teenager. It's a little daunting. Daunting: simply because I weigh more now that I ever have. But then again...accountability. I'm hoping this makes me more aware.
I have a friend though who really ticked me off. She told me she hopes it doesn't "depress" me. Well yes. I'm sure it would if the numbers start getting larger again. But I'm hoping for a little motivation. And so I'm excited and scared. And all about a little scale!!!
Wish me luck!
Grins*
Chrys* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #2  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I know how you feel. When I finally got a scale I couldn't believe how much I had gained. But now I just love watching that number go down, down, down. I'm assuming that you haven't weighed yourself yet so GOOD LUCK!
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I'm really glad for you! I have a BF scale, too, so just a word of caution: if you want a more accurate BF reading, make sure to weigh for that in the afternoon -- otherwise, if you take that number to heart when you're weighing for actual poundage with an empty stomach first thing in the morning, you'll be in for a bitter -- and untrue! -- surprise. So think of that scale as telling you two different things, accurately, at two different times.....but not at the SAME time! OK? Those scales read body fat via bioimpedence, and your level of hydration impacts the reading, as it travels differently through bone, fat and muscle tissue w/water affecting the speed of travel. If you're well hydrated, the body fat reading will be much more accurate. Conversely, for our actual weigh-in, most of us like to get a "bone dry" weigh-in, so we get nothing "extraneous" -- like actual hydration -- on the scale's reading. Which brand did you get? Mine's a Tanita, and I'm really happy with it. I know my BF% number both first thing in the morning and later in the afternoon, so I can track changes in the early a.m. number without taking the actual number to heart.

Great job facing the bullet. I swear, I'm positive I'd have started to lose weight a lot sooner if I'd actually known how heavy I was getting.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #4  
Finding my way back

Tea: I'm actually down six pounds! Yay! And I'm with you. I don't think this creeping weight would have gone unnoticed with a scale.
Sarah: Thanks! I think mine is a Taylor. That sounds right. And I've checked out your blog. Good job!
Grins*
Old 12-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #5  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

Good job on being down 6 pounds!!! And for taking the plunge and getting a scale I look forward to my weigh days
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #6  
Finding my way back

"I look forward to my weigh days"

Sabriena: I haven't come THAT far yet. *laughing* But I'm on my way. I really need to keep up with the water. I think that will really help.
Grins*
Old 12-12-2005, 03:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Way to go. Now as long as you don't join the overobsessor's club for scales you'll be good .
You are right about needing it for accountability.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #8  
Downsizing Dee!

Congrats on the new scale Chrys*. I've been kind of hoping mine bites the dust because I've been wanting to get one like yours with all of those fancy features, but just can't justify it with the other one working.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:45 PM   #9  
Movin on down the scale

I agree with you Dee...I would like a BF scale too, but they are like $50-100 here and I just bought a Weight Watchers Digital scale like 5 mo ago, so I cant justify buying ANOTHER one...oh well.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #10  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Has anyone ever bought one of those handheld body fat calculators? You know, the kind the Curves uses?
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #11  
Movin on down the scale

i just bought one...but it doesnt work....
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 PM   #12  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Good luck and don't drive yourself to crazy with weighing.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote