Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #46

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's up to 9 degrees but it is still so cold out there! It's supposed to be in the teens by the weekend so I'm hoping. We got our (the students, that is) second semester schedules today and they are a mess to say the least. Usually the special ed. teachers meet and schedule their own students, but this time the guidance office did it; obviously they have no clue. So I will probably have to wait and see what/where I will be doing/going after the semester gets started. That is the worst part of the semester change.

'Gma' -- It sounds like you are the knitting speed queen!

Gail -- Enjoy your evening with your hubby. It will be nice to have your house all decorated. I hate doing it in shifts, but that's what has happened here. It may take my next life, but someday I will be organized!

Joyce -- Do you and your husband both work for the same company? If you do, I didn't realize that. Sometimes, it takes me awhile to catch on! I hope your weather has settled down by now.

I need to keep moving. I was supposed to have a reading meeting after school and they opted to do an ICN on TV instead. I be-bopped out as fast as I could go. There is nothing worse than a TV course as far as I'm concerned!

Stay warm and have a nice evening!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #2  

Morning ladies! Raining like a son of a gun here this morning and they are predicting SNOW for tomorrow! {{{{SHUDDER}}}} Doesn't seem cold enough for that as it is supposed to be near 40 for a high.

Jean: I am such a dope to say that about DVD's. I knew they had dvd recorders, but guess I went brain dead for a moment! I will make a deal with you, I will organize your house if you wrap my Christmas presents from now on!!!! I still have a bunch unwrapped here for you! I am super organized and hate, hate, hate clutter. You know I am so anal about cleaning and Lord help me, I was baking pie shells for those cream pies at my ds and dil's and while they were baking, I took apart her stovetop and cleaned it and cleaned all the counters etc. Thank GOD, she was at work and my son was watching tv thinking I was baking! I would have died of embarrassment if she caught me and thought that I was doing it because I thought she was dirty. It is not that at all. I just have to be doing something all the time and I thought it would be a nice thing to do since I was using her oven to bake and messing up her kitchen with the pie stuff. They never seemed to notice thank goodness, though the only thing that would have glared at them was their stove. I need to curb the impulse!

I guess I better get going. It is clean the upstairs bathrooms day and I need to get another panel done on the scarf at least. I find knitting this way makes my hands and wrists hurt more and my left index finger feels like it has been pin pricked a thousand times from removing stitches from the needle.

Have a great day everyone!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #3  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning!

We're going to get snow tonight and into tomorrow, Faye. I may stay home tomorrow. I'll knit! I'll watch it snow! Seriously, I'll probably have to make an attempt to come to work.

Jean, I'm sort've organized but my biggest problem is I'm wishy-washy. I have a difficult time making my ming up about something. However, sometimes I surprise myself...and my hubby too.

It was so nice having hubby home last night. We went out to dinner and I did so well with food. Tonight I weigh in. I don't care what the number is as long as I lose something. After all, it is the season of holiday goodies!
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #4  

Good freezing morning girls! All of us seem to be either freezing or under snow. We dodged the snow bullet as a jet stream came in right under us and kept the moisture away. It is very very cold this morning though. Tough to get the car started. It doesn't like this weather!

Gail: Hope you can get out and around today. I know you are probably either buried in snow and or it snowing right now. I saw that a Southwest airlines plane slid off the runway at Midway yesterday in Chicago and killed a little boy when it went through a fence into a busy street and hit two cars.

Please, please pray for a lady that posts on my other thread. Her name is Susan and her husband is gravely ill and has been for quite awhile. He needs surgery but the doctor says he only has a 10% chance of surviving so they won't try it so he has daily nursing care to take of his problem, which involves some kind of infusion. She has no children, no parents alive and no other family as she is an only child. She is all alone in this and I know it is weighing her down so much not to have any outside support.

I twisted my shoulder in sleep last night and boy do I hurt this morning. It hurts clear up my neck today. Jack put on some icy hot before he left for work, but I can't reach the spot to put on anymore. I may just get out the heating pad.

I am almost halfway done with the scarf, but boy it does take longer doing it with round needles and my fingertips are sore. I will be glad when I am done with this and can go back to the blanket!

I need to go and get my upstairs vacuumed so I can start back on that scarf. Everyone have a good day and keep warm today! (ooooh, lots of new Christmas smilies, how cute!)

Faye
Old 12-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #5  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers! It's warmed up to 20 degrees outside! We spent the evening 'power shopping' in Sioux City. We had planned to leave right after school, but I had forgotten the special ed. director was having her Christmas open house today. So I made a quick stop there, ate a couple of crackers with cheese, drank a half glass of wine, and said my "happy holidays to all" before we headed out. I thought the mall stores closed at 9 but found out, as we were almost finished, that they are open until 11 during the holidays. I don't think I could have lasted another 2 hours! We got alot done but now I have to inventory what I have and wrap, wrap, wrap tomorrow! Every year I say I will not leave shopping until the last minute . . . maybe next year. I still haven't found my Christmas stamps! GRRRRRR! I'm beginning to think they got mixed in with the junk mail somehow and got pitched.

Jason and Amanda are supposed to be coming over tomorrow to take the kids to visit Santa's Castle. So much for my uninterrupted day once again. I need to finish decorating or Christmas will have come and gone.

'Gma' -- You and my husband should start a Ban The Clutter Club! He can't see the dirt, lint, fur hunks, etc., but hates my piles. I try but they seem to accumulate when I'm not looking. Did you end up making your Thanksgiving pies in IL rather than transporting them? I don't think the younger generation knows how to clean . . . I know how, but I just don't have the time to do the kind of cleaning job I used to do. That is too bad about your friend. I feel sorry for couples who do not have children for whatever reason and especially so when one or the other gets sick or dies. It's always nice to have family support. I hope your shoulder is better!

Gail -- If you are getting the ice and snow, I hope you were able to stay home and enjoy the weather from inside. There were thousands who lost power in South Dakota and many were without electricity for over a week. I can't imagine what that would be like. I wonder how their homes fared if water pipes would freeze. We do take some things for granted until we don't have them for a while.

I am heading off to bed! Hope you all have a nice weekend!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-10-2005, 07:29 AM   #6  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

It's Saturday morning and I am so glad of it! I thought the weekend would never get here. I thought I would post a short (?) message before my day started and while DH is still sleeping. I came in here yesterday to post and then had to stop typing because it was just too busy in the office. Anyway...here I am.

I lost 1.4 lbs. this week.

Jean, yes we got snow--about 2-3 inches. We didn't get what was predicted and that's fine with me. We have snow on the grounds (which is also left overs from the snow before this one) but not on the roads now--it melted off. Even though I have to drive about 3 miles on a windy country road to get to the highway, it was easy getting there on my way into work yesterday. And then we closed up the office early...and I went to the mall to Christmas shop. That's a lot of people to be without electricity especially during the cold winter months. It seems this year a lot of people have been through a lot of hardship--and that seems like such an understatement.

Faye, I'll certainly keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers. Bless her heart. What a shame to be so alone during this time of need and it being the holidays also! Does she go to church? Does she have friends closeby?

Well...I need to go and get my day started. Hubby wants to go out to breakfast this morning so I'll get a headstart and take my shower.

Everyone have a great weekend if I can't get in here again...but I just might--it's supposed to be a quiet weekend.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:31 AM   #7  

Good morning gals! Nippy, nippy this AM but I am alive and well so that is something even if it isn't sunny and 70!

Jean: I hate to power shop. I am becoming an old Scrooge when it comes to Christmas shopping. Everyone here seems to be so darn rude at Christmas that I try and buy everything online. Say, since you are wrapping, what say you do mine too! I have to finish wrapping all that came in this week and then next week wrap Thomas's scarf and stuff after we put the patches on it then I am done. I can just see you whipping in gulping a couple crackers with cheese and downing some wine and whipping out again!

Gail: for you and your lbs down!!!!! As for my friend, she has a nurse for him while she is at work, but she is locked into staying with him at all other times so I doubt she gets out to church if she is religious. I don't know if she is or not. She is one of those online people that doesn't share a whole lot. The only reason I know as much about her as I do is because she and I used to belong to another thread that everyone left sort of all of a sudden so she asked if she could post on my thread. She and her dh have been married probably 35-36 years or so and with no other family, losing him could be devastating to her. The only outlet she has is quilting. She finds medical care for him twice a year so she can go to these quilt conventions. I just feel so sorry for the both of them. He was a very famous chef before he got sick.

I guess I should get off here and get to knitting since I have to have the darn thing finished tomorrow and I still have about 3/8 to finish plus fringe. Have a good weekend girls!

Hello to the rest of you gals! Maggie, are you buried in snow and can't get into town to talk to us?

Faye
Old 12-10-2005, 06:41 PM   #8  

Good Evening, Flowers! We've warmed up 30+ degrees but it is windy so doesn't feel very warm outside. We had some snow flurries this morning but they were more like rain drops. We've lost alot of snow today just because of the temperature climbing. I'm hoping we've had our 'winter' and will have mild weather until spring arrives. . .in my dreams. Hah! I've putzed around most of the day; Bob decided to shampoo the bedroom carpet so I vacuumed and dug out the corners first. I did go buy more Christmas stamps! Stay tuned to when and where I find the missing ones. *sigh*

Gail -- Congrats on the great loss! Where did you go for breakfast this morning? We used to have a local restaurant that had the most awesome Sunday brunch. It closed several months ago and now our only choice is strictly fast food which leaves alot to be desired for breakfast! I hope you had a nice day!

'Gma' -- We were pleasantly surprised that the mall wasn't especially crowded nor busy last night. I didn't have to stand in line nor get pushed and shoved. I had to laugh though . . . I was looking for men's hankies, in a department store that carries quality men's clothing, and finally asked the clerk. She gave me a blank look and said, "I don't know what that is . . . can you help me?" She was Mexican so I wonder if they don't use hankies. As soon as I said, "to blow your nose in" . . . she said, "Kleen-X?" I did finally find them hidden in a corner with the socks! At least I had made a list and knew pretty much what I was looking for; I'm not by any means done but have a good start. Will wants dress shirts with a 37" sleeve and none of the stores seem to carry them. We didn't head downtown where there is a big and tall man's store but I have a feeling they would be pretty pricey in there. I'm thinking we will give him money and he can look for his own shirt.

I need to start supper . . . leftover chili, I think. Have a nice evening and a super Sunday.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:53 AM   #9  

Good Sunday Morning ladies! It warmed up some yesterday so isn't too bad this morning. I saw online that Richard Pryor died yesterday morning of a heart attack. That man sure lived hard. I think all the heroin and cocaine abuse finally caught up with him and his body sort of paid him back for abuse with the MS. It is too bad, really, because he could be a funny man.

Jean: Geez, I thought 35" sleeves were hard to get, which is what I have to get for my son and dh. Check online with JC Penneys to see what they have as I bought tall stuff for my son there. It is a few $$ more though as the fat and tall take abuse for clothing prices I think.

I finished the dad blamed scarf, but I am going to try and whip up an MPC player cover for the one I bought Thomas today in the Harry Potter colors. The one I bought him is tiny, about the size of a throwaway cigarette lighter so I will have to adjust the pattern as most of them are for the ones that are cigarette case size.

We didn't do much yesterday. I wanted to get that scarf finished so next week we can get the patches on them so I knitted all morning. Jack sat down here at my computer and played risk (a totally boring game he will play for hours and I don't know why) He definitely plays games I think are tedious, like that one and he loves those Sodoku puzzles and does the daily one on our dsl webpage. EUWWWW, gives me a headache just thinking about it!

I am going to finish up the wrapping today so I am done with it. I dread dragging it all down to the hotel, but you do what you have to do I guess. Only two more weeks until Christmas. Boy, it seemed to come fast this year.

Everyone have a great Sunday!

Faye
Old 12-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #10  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning!

Faye, you are one knittin' woman! You go girlfriend!

Jean, we ended up at the Waffle House and it was not a good experience. I ended up sick all day long with the worst indigestion I have ever had. Nothing I took got rid of it. I still had the indigestion at 10pm last night when I finally went to bed. Woke up starving because I had nothing to eat all day long after the breakfast. Just a bad experience yesterday. I told DH that from now on I'm eating at Bob Evans for breakfast--their food is better.

Today, we're putting up the Christmas tree....and I will be eating better food--I'll be cooking and I'll be in control.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #11  

Good Morning, Flowers! We've had a variety of snow flakes this morning . . . big huge lazy ones to teeny tiny itty bitty ones you can hardly see. It's 'warm' outside at 34 degrees so it is melting. Bob was going to wash my car but it is so sloppy there is no point. We skipped church this morning; it is the children's program so there will be an abundance of parents, grandparents, crying babies, and talking toddlers, etc. Today I am finishing laundry, wrapping what gifts i have and take inventory of what I have left to get, and writing a few cards or bust!

'Gma' -- I have downloaded some different games and just found one (for a price) called 'Granny in Paradise' and it is a granny who is trying to rescue her cats. I had to laugh when I played the preview version. I just might buy it for myself for Christmas! I play alot of solitaire on the computer while I talk on the phone. I have a deck of cards in my luggage and when I play at a motel, it seems like it takes forever. We have Suduko in our newspapers and they drive me !!!!!!! I don't have the patience for crossword puzzles either. What kind of patches are you putting on the scarf? Have you ever thought about a knitting machine?

Gail -- I'm sorry your breakfast didn't set well yesterday! Here I pictured you enjoying waffles with fresh fruit and whipped cream! You didn't say you were eating at the Waffle House yesterday (I don't think anyhow). I just like to order waffles because I never make them at home. Have fun decorating today!

Well, I need to keep moving. Have a nice day doing whatever it is you are going to do today.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #12  
Web Nana

Good Sunday Evening!

It was a nice day out and where we plowed out the Sun did the rest. Just had to scrap the brick walk out front so the Sun could get at that as well!
Oh, yes, we had snow on Friday.....10" in all and for part of the day it was a complete white out......UGH! The plow man came by and while he was shoveling the front stairs I opened the door and told him it was much too early to start the season. Last year we spent $500 on plowing for the season, I hope it is less this year.

We were to go to a Christmas Party given by the elderly housing complex where DH is on the board of directors but they called and cancelled. New date is the 20th....same place, same time. That is the day that DH goes to Mass Gen. Hospital for his pre-op work-up but that is at 1Pm so we should be home in time to make the party.

Got my Christmas cards written today and that means that all is done that I plan to do except for some baking. I usually give some Plum Pudding Miniatures (think cup cakes with nuts, candied pineapple, and molasses) and Hard Sauce to the neighbors. DD#2 is having a family Christmas party next Sunday so I will probably make something to take to that. Don't know what I will make yet.

Faye....you really have the knitting bug this year. You are doing great making most of your gifts. Sorry to hear about your cyber friend and we surely keep her in our prayers.

Gail...Congrats on the great weight loss. That's too bad about your reaction to the waffles. I have had reactions to foods that I couldn't find a reason for...just not used to rich food I guess.

Jean....I laughed when you said it had warmed up to 30 deg. That's not my idea of warm. You sound like you are well on your way to being ready for Christmas and I am sure that the day after you will find your Christmas stamps.

I just decided what I will get DH for Christmas.....a phone for the bedroom.
Right now if you are in bed you have to go to the den to answer and when DH has his surgery I don't think he will want to hop around too much. Just saw a phone with a base to be plugged into a phone jack and two other handsets that only need to be plugged into an electrical outlet. Our living room phone has been giving us fits and starts and I will replace it with the base, put one handset in the bed room and another in the kitchen. Went looking for it today and Sears was waiting for a shipment so either I wait or I will try BJ's or Best Buy.

Joyce.....hope you get that buy out so you can retire....I can tell you there is nothing like it.

Gloria in MA.....having a good Sunday.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:57 AM   #13  

Good Monday morning ladies! I am including a pic of my little MP3 cozy. It whipped up in no time and I think it turned out cute. This way, he can put it through his belt loop and not lose it.

Gloria: Busy hands keep you out of food so knitting has been perfect for me to start up again. Besides, I truly enjoy it. Sounds like you guys got whomped with snow. Thank goodness it passed us by and is even a bit mild today. Supposed to be in mid 50's today. Sounds like a great present for dh with his surgery looming. I am hoping all goes particularly well and he is up and about quickly after they "fix what's broke" so to speak.

Jean: I directed a kids production one year and whooee, never want to do THAT again. It wasn't the kids who gave me the headaches, if you know what I mean. I have to say the PK's and MK's kids were the biggest pains. My sister sent me cat bowling at Halloween time and that was kind of fun. I like crosswords and trivia stuff the best I think. I am a big Jeopardy fan and I remember years ago when Jack had shoulder surgery, he was in a two man room and we were sitting watching Jeopardy and I just HAVE to play if I am watching. The guy next to Jack said something like, "Why don't you get out of the Navy man and put her on the show?"

Gail: I got an e-mail from dd last night wanting me to make her a poncho. I have never tried something like that, but I told her I was game to try after I had the baby blanket and booties finished. I don't think I am ever going to get my living room throw finished! I want to make these great Christmas stockings I found on bernat.com for each one of the kids and Thomas and us for next year. I thought I would do colors according to family like red and white for dd and her family and green and white for ds and dil and their kids when they have them then make ours a combo by doing red and green for us! I think it would look cool and then cross stitch their names on the tops. I would also like to make Thomas a Harry Potter sweater for Christmas next year so I am lining up my projects for next year. WAFFLE HOUSE, UGH! Every time I have eaten there I have gotten sick. Jack likes it and seems to always do okay. We don't go there though because I always get sick. I am an IHOP fan. I love the chocolate chip pancakes!

Well, this isn't getting my work done for today and I still have gifts to wrap I am dragging my feet about.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-21-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! I should be "doing" something but just got home; Bob's nursing home board of directors had their Christmas meeting/dinner tonight and spouses were invited to join them to eat after their meeting.

I'm about ready to go into panic mode . . . the push is on to have all assignments completed before final exams start the 19th and the list goes in to the office Wednesday at 3:30. Kids are literally throwing papers (most are half-a**ed done and have to be redone again) on my desk when I'm out of the room so I have to sort through and then find whatever assignment they did because, heaven forbid!, they would put a page # on. GRRRRRRR! I'm just a bit grouchy about the whole thing. I figure if they've waited this long to get assignments done, I can take my sweet time correcting them! One student just came back today after being gone 21 days on a trip to Mexico. He just couldn't believe we'd expect him to do ALLLLLLL that work! Sheesh, excuuuuusssssse me!

Gloria -- Man, am I glad you got the 10" and not me! We have lost alot of snow in the last few days. I finally got some picture reprints made and hope to get going on the cards. I don't know where my time goes, but I can sure let it slip by. I used to be able to do a few at school when I'd have a few minutes to call my own, but that's not happening this year. Oh well, some may just get their cards late! I also need to finish wrapping and take inventory.

'Gma' -- I am always in awe of how much some of the Jeopardy contestants know and how many will miss just the simplest questions that even I know. Bob always wanted me to try out for Wheel of Fortune; for some reason we don't watch that any more. He says Vanna shouldn't get paid since she doesn't have to turn letters, just stand there and look pretty. Your latest knitting project looks pretty snazzy!

We have a 7:30 staff meeting tomorrow so I'd better get my ducks in a row. That extra 15 minutes seems to fly by twice as fast when I'm trying to get out the door. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:34 AM   #15  

Good morning flowers. It is almost balmy in my part of the world (in the 50's.) It got to near 60 yesterday and was really nice. I know from time to time I have talked to you about the politics here, but listen to the latest. I told you one of our state senators got caught in a big sting operation taking a huge brib for a phony company set up by the FBI. His SISTER ran for his seat and won by 13 votes over the Republican candidate. Now, it is coming out, that her nephew voted for her and doesn't live in the seat district, a DEAD guy cast a vote, some people were allowed to vote twice, some that voted gave empty lots for addresses, etc. Looks like the mess continues. The Republican is a white guy and to tell you the truth, this makes it worse because of course it is all being touted as racially motivated since there is an investigation. If it weren't so sad, it would be funny.

Jean: I think you should adopt the 10% rule, every day it was late, 10% off. You then wouldn't have to even correct some of them! Just hang in there, vacation is close!

I have decided to use up my leftover Harry Potter stuff as much as I can and am knitting Thomas Bunikins a matching scarf to Thomas's. I may make him a hat too, just make it big enough to get his ears into! Thomas Bunikins is Thomas's stuffed animal he got when he was 2 at Build a Bear. He named him Thomas Bunikins. Guess he felt he needed an heir! I bought him a camping outfit and gear last year, but Kelly never told me what "he" wanted this year so I am going to make the hat and scarf.

I don't know if I mentioned that the Red Roof Inn charged us one night's stay at Thanksgiving time and I had canceled the reservation back in May. Two weeks ago, I noticed a discrepancy in my credit card and looked at what had been paid and there was this charge for Red Roof Inn. I always keep my confirmation and/or cancellations sheets until AFTER the date we were supposed to be there goes by. I contacted the national customer service and they took all the info and said they couldn't help me because it is privately owned and they would have to issue me a credit (well then why can I make a darn reservation with them???) Anyway, the lady was very helpful and put me on hold and contacted the hotel in Mishawaka then came back on line and said the manager would "research" it and get back to me. I said, "Research? What's to research, I have a cancellation number." She said they had no record of the number! The manager calls me a day later and says all snooty that the general manager has decided to credit my credit card back like I tried to steal from them or something. She said she had tried to credit our credit card and it has a protection block of some kind and kept denying the credit, was there another one they could put it on so I gave her my bank card number. Here it is 2 weeks later and nada. I called yesterday and the girl took a message and when I asked when she would be in I got the run around. I am giving her until Friday to make contact then I am going to drive her nuts. Legally, they have 30 days, (I got this from the credit card company when I contacted them about how to dispute a charge) but if she could do it that day with the other card she could do it that day with my bank card. If she had trouble again, she should have called me back and then made arrangements to issue me a check. They are **** fire on wheels to get your money but they sure don't give it back timely if they take yours by mistake.

Everyone have a good day and I am headed to the washer to put clothes in the dryer.

Faye