Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #1  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Default More questions than answers

Hi everyone. I'm not necessarily new to 3fc, but I am definitely new to this particular part of it. I can't remember a time where I wasn't overweight. I was a size 22 by my freshman year of HS. Senior year was worse. I was a size 26-28. My highest weight ever recorded was 356 in March '05. This came after being off my feet for nearly 8 months due to a car accident.

The car accident is actually what prompted me to start making some changes. Being 350lbs is a very big issue when you're in the position where other people have to care for you. I had to have several people help lift me, then I was unable to come off the oxygen after surgery because I just wasn't able to get up and around. An injury that should have taken me 8 weeks to heal from ended up taking 8 months, and I still have issues walking sometimes.

I am now currently 328lbs as of this morning. The problem is, my weight loss is very slow due to PCOS, and I am also developing other health issues that make losing weight imperative. I am now a diabetic, I have high blood pressure and cholesterol, and my asthma nearly kills me when I attempt to exercise more than a few minutes at a time. And, to top it all off, I now have to go in for two procedures on Tuesday next week, so focusing on diet and exercise has had to take a back burner yet again.

I have to admit that I have always said that WLS just wasn't for me. I had absolutely no problem with those who had it done, I just had a problem with making that decision for myself because I always used the excuse that I could do it on my own. In fact, when my ortho surgeon blatantly told me that I needed to consult with one of our bariatric surgeons, it irked me enough to make me get off my butt and get moving (a month before I was supposed to, mind you). I just knew that, with the right motivation, and the right eating habits and exercise, it would start coming off without having to worry about having surgery. Now, I'm not so sure, and it frightens me beyond belief.

I don't know if WLS is the answer for me yet. I have done a lot of research so I know the risks and benefits, I know what my insurance company requires, and I know who'd be doing the surgery. But.. I still have a few hangups that I need to work through before I commit to this. I think I know in the back of my mind that it's something I need to do, rather than something I want to do. I've learned that my health has to start coming first, and so I decided to post here, join in as I'm comfortable, and hopefully get to know more about life after WLS, so I'm able to make a decision that's both good for me, and something I am comfortable doing.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

what a wonderful, heart-felt, honest, and wise post!

here's what i'm reading: you're a candidate for the surgery. everyone in your like knows that, including you. when you're ready - if you ever are - you will know the time is right. when the surgery was first suggested to me, while hospitalized for a venous stasis ulcers, i insisted that it was mutilation, that i didn't need it, and that all i needed to do was to get up and get moving again. it took another two years of increasing disability to make the crucial call.

the decision comes when we're ready for it.

in the meantime, you are certainly taking all the right steps. no weight management program - including surgery - can work without controlling our food intake and moving our cute little [or not so little - like me!] butts.

so, you are more than welcome here. ask away! jump in anytime.

and congratulations on all the hard work you've done...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:40 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

and a ps. you know you can print out anything you find here and take it to your doctor and discuss it, don't you? many of us have been through the wringer before and after surgery, so our experiences may raise questions for you to discuss.

go for it, darlin!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:51 AM   #4  

That is an awesome idea jiffy. printing and asking.. I know when I went in I took a support person (my mom) and we wrote down every thing we wanted to ask. so nothing was left unturn.. except my decision.. I was a bit nervous and not sure .. but I personally think that even after two months and my little set back .. I am pleased that I did it and pleased with my help Imgetting from my surgeon and staff.
JustPeachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:24 PM   #5  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

I just wanted to say "Hi" and welcome, Brandnewme! I'm a newbie to this entire site but it seems to be just chock full of encouragement and support.

I also wanted to say that I, too, felt like this surgery was "mutilation" when I first heard of it, but having lost 34lbs in 3 weeks, well, let's just say I never felt so good in my life, nor was I ever this successful.

One thing that I find very important before embarking on a journey like this is to be absolutely *convinced* that this is the right option for you. I find that is pretty much imperative for the best outcome. So do what you're doing...your homework, and everything else. A little anxiety is natural of course.

Take care!
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop
the decision comes when we're ready for it.
You nailed it right on the head Jiffy. Gosh ain't it the truth.

Welcome Brandnewme
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:24 PM   #7  
huggle83

hello brandnewme,
I'm also considering weightloss sugery. I've gotten alot of different answers when I've asked others about it. But what they say doesn't really matter because its me who will have to go through it and live with it. But I think it is great that you finally decided to do something about your weight for your health. I am also. I'm not as heavy as you are but I am having alot of trouble keeping myself from gaining weight, no matter how hard I try. I'm a little scarred of the surgery, but I beleive I have exhuasted all other means. My grandmother and my mother are diabetic and I feel it is only a matter of time before I am if I don't do something now. I'm confused and scarred and just about out of options. But, I hope that you can loose the weight you need without surgery. And if you can't then be brave and know you are doing it to live a longer happier and healthier life. God bless.
missmeliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:18 PM   #8  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement! I really appreciate it. I'm still undecided, but I'm learning a lot in the mean time, and either way it's giving me a new outlook. There are just so many things to consider that it can be overwhelming.

I am happy to say that some of my health issues have resolved a bit, and things are looking up somewhat.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:46 PM   #9  

Hi Brandnewme (can I call you Brandy for short)?

You're doing the right thing by really delving into the nitty gritty of weight loss surgery. I had Lapband surgery in April 2004 and have never regretted my choice. I am truly a brand new me!

My suggestion is to make sure you research all the different types of sugery in addition to the gastric bypass. Go to a couple of different docs seminars if they're available to you. One size doesn't fit all and someone elses perfect surgery type may not be yours. Research RNY, DS, the band, VBG and everything else to make sure that if and when you make the decision that you're making the one that's right for you, not the one that someone else told you to make.

I see that you're very young, so go into this knowing that this a decision that will effect the rest of your life, not just the short term.

I hope you're warmer in Wyoming than we are in Colorado today!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote