Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

Default I'm struggling

I'm struggling with this maintenance thing . It's so difficult for me. Losing the weight was a cinch, but keep it off is not so easy. Lately I've been eating more than I should and not exercising enough. As a result, I've gained six lbs, putting me at 136. Sure, six lbs isn't a big deal, but I'm afraid six will turn into 10, then 20, etc. I really want to get these last lbs off, for good. So, I've decided to just do it! I can't just sit back and stuff my face , and then be puzzled when I gain. I can't let my desire for food control me, and I can't rely on motivation alone to help me lose this weight. I will be in control. I will do this!

There, I feel better now!
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:47 PM   #2  

Yes you will.
xodesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #3  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Also, try going to the Maintainers forum. They have some really insightful posts over there and you have those who just started maintenance and those who have been for years.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:52 AM   #4  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Are you still watching your calories?
And you still need to exersise thats something to just get the heart rate going and get in some much needed air.
Maybe doing a journal for a week or so might put you back in check.
Its good that you realize this before you let it go to long.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:12 PM   #5  

I don't actually count calories, I just eat less. My forms of exercise are running (3-5 days a week) and weight lifting (every other day). I went several days without running and started back up three days ago. I don't know why I stopped running, because I enjoy it! I just don't understand myself. I wake up motivated and ready to eat right, and I go and OVEREAT! I just don't get it. I'm sure that's something I'll always struggle with.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #6  

I think the demons that made us gain weight in the first place never leave us. The trick is to know what and who they are and how to slay them when they plague us.

I hope by now you have tootled to the maintainers forum, and ladies who lift are good as well (many of the same faces) to help keep you on that straight and narrow path.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #7  
Mel

Josie,
Maintaining is the hardest thing I've ever done. It's much harder than losing weight in the first place. We read it so much that it sounds like a cliche, but "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle" is 100% true. Everything that you did to lose weight, you still need to do to maintain. Sure, you have a little more wiggle room with your food and workouts, but wiggle too much and you've already seen what happens.

Maintaining isn't exciting- you aren't seeing numbers steady go down on the scale, or needing to buy new clothes because the old ones are falling off. After a while people stop complimenting you, and you'll meet people who never knew you were heavier. But the alternative to maintaining is regaining, feeling worse about yourself, and having to start over None of us wants that!

I've found that it still helps to have new goals. Not scale related, but fitness goals or activity goals. Learn a new sport, if you enjoy running, sign up for and train for a 10K in the spring. Do anything to keep yourself motivated.

As a previous poster suggested, check out the Maintainers Forum. Last year we did a book discussion of Ann Fletcher's Thin for Life. Check those threads for a sysnopsis of each chapter of the book, then responses by maintainers here

Best wishes,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:04 PM   #8  

Thanks for the suggestions and support everybody. I've been reading a lot in the maintenance section and that has helped me. Thanks again for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!!!!