View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #114
NowOrNever!
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Screen Name: NowOrNever!

Age/Age Range: 46

Family Life: Cat Lady (my standard response once I hit 40, had multiple cats and was living the single life). I have 4 fur-children currently.

Occupation: (don't laugh) Intellectual Capital Manager. Mostly, I do research and writing for my company. And suck up to clients.

Hobbies and Interests: Quilting! (I teach a little on the side) Hiking....AVID reader, some knitting, some jewelry making....I also spend a lot of time removing cat hair from around the house, my clothes, etc.

Favorite Music: Uh....I've been less and less a music aficionado over the last few years, but I like Tracy Chapman and I'm one of those weird middle-aged fans of Clay Aiken.

Favorite Color(s): Blue

Favorite Exercise/Workouts: A sunny autumn day and a quiet ridge-top trail with crunchy leaves underfoot. Mostly I settle for the treadmill though.

What are your fitness/health goals? Health & fitness--whatever reasonable weight that occurs at. For 2006, I have reservations along with a sister and niece in Yosemite in early August to hike/climb Half Dome (it's 16+ miles round trip with 5,000 feet of elevation gain, with a 45 degree cable ascent of the actual rock (that's my avatar picture). When I get to that level of fitness I have some other monster hikes and some overnight mountain biking trips in mind. Mostly, I want a spring in my step :-)

What was the "trigger" or incident that made you decide it was time to lose weight and become more fit? The doctor pushing me into a fasting glucose test a few months ago because she thought I might be diabetic. While waiting for the results I did enough research to scare the crap out of me. I also have normal cholesterol and normal blood pressure so.....I feel like I've managed to carry way too much weight with no serious consequences to this point and I want to get RID of the weight so I don't ever have to worry about that stuff again!

What do you struggle with the most on this journey to health? Old food habits and much-longed-for comfort foods.....pizza I just have to learn how to enjoy them OCCASIONALLY...not everytime I'm feeling stressed.

What are three things in the area of diet/exercise you need to improve? (1) Consistency in everything--whether diet or exercise. It's easy to START changes, damn hard to maintain them. (2) motivation and strong "self-talk" to get me past the worst of the temptations (3) balance--when I'm in a gung-ho mood, I can rather easily push myself to stay on the treadmill for more than an hour or on the trail for hours--which is really more than my body can handle at this point without injury and it sets me up for over-eating because I've pushed my blood sugar WAY too low

(Evil motivation ) Who do you want to look better than? : Uh...me, actually. That's probably uninspiring, but I want to look in the mirror and see the person that I usually feel inside (my mind REMEMBERS the feelings of health and ability to run around....my body just freaks when my mind tries to act on that)

What can you not wait to wear when you are at goal weight or size? Swimsuit that I'm not ashamed to be seen in. I would LOVE to go, say, to the waterpark in the summer, but I won't be caught dead in public in a swimsuit right now.