Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Default Weight Loss & Chit Chat #154

HELLO & To the Jaded Ladies!

We're a friendly group that provides support in our weight loss journey as well as our every day lives. So pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and please join us.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #2  
One day at a time

Smile

Hiya ladies

OMGoodness! It is freezing here! This morning at 8 am they said it was 9 with the wind chill 7 below! Brrrrrrr...I am not ready for this ladies! And yes, we have the snow they talked about. It has been coming down since about 7. Of course I don't mind it if I don't have to get in it and I had to this morning! Just had to snow and be cold on Wednesday didn't it! LOL Going to take a picture when I go and check the mail because I think it looks so pretty.

MARTI~for some reason I was thinking Jhanai was singing! DUH! Didn't realize she was in the band and played the clarinet. Bet the program was nice. About the tree...I miss having a real tree sometimes, well, not so much the tree but the smell. I haven't found a candle or anything that I like that smells close to the smell of a live tree. I've had an artificial one for so long don't thing I can go back to a live one. Maybe one day.

ANGIE~this year I have a Santa on the top of my tree. Don't think I have ever had a star except on the little tree I have in my bedroom. I have a small gold star with a pink ribbon. I do have an angel that I use sometimes but this year I went with an angel theme on the mantle. I've also used a big bow/ribbon before. It's not often that I change the tree but once in a while I will do something a little different.

JANE~yeah, the traffic in Atlanta is horrible, but not too bad. The traffic I was speaking of was at Fort Benning on the base the day of graduation, wow, what a mess! We had to walk a good 1/2 mile to the field which was fine with me, I managed to get my walking in the three days we were down there for sure. Josh kind of had his hopes set on Italy or Germany and I thought that would have been good because at least he would get to see the world. I took them lots of places but never overseas because of my fear of flying. Then he heard he would be at Fort Riley and was disappointed but not because even he wanted to be closer to home, he missed it. I know wherever he goes I will be happy for him and he will make the best of it, as will I. I just hope it's somewhere he wants to be which would be out of KS, LOL. About the XMAS...for the longest time I always wrote Merry X-Mas on my cards or anything. Then was thinking one day where in the world that came from and how did it get started? That was back in 1985 and I have been writing Merry Christmas since. Haven't found the page about the moderators yet, but I'll keep looking.

CONNIE~glad your eye is better. I was picturing the little ones with the hammers and all the noise, EGADS! But I bet it was cute, and definitely a kodak moment. My 1st DH was 11 years older than I was. I met him when I was 19, just about to turn 20 in a month. We were happily married for 12 years until he was killed and I am 100% sure that we would still be married today! Age is just a bunch of numbers, really doesn't mean much. Unless of course she was 14, 15, etc. and he was 28. Hope you had a lovely Holiday breakfast!

KATY~your little Leigh sounds like Josh when he was that age. He was a preschool drop-out! LOL Not really, I just say that. He went for two weeks and while there would just shut down-didn't like it at all. But when he started kindergarten he was fine, did great! I think he just wasn't ready for preschool. Glad the tests came back normal.

EM~don't really have any suggestions for books, sorry. My kids are much older than yours and I can't even remember what they read at that age. I know we used to buy a lot of books from the school book fairs and such. Of course today there is so much new stuff out there I don't know about. I am no help at all on this one.

MICHELLE~try not to overdo it at work girly. I know that is easier said than done especially when the store has a deadline.

Hi JEWEL and a big to you! Glad to have you aboard and look forward to getting to know you. About your questions...it totally depends on you and how you are. I joined a center (WW) a few years ago and it was GREAT! I also joined (WW) online and didn't do so good. I am one who needs the meetings, or did. It just depends on how disciplined you are I think. Some people need someone to answer too i.e. weekly meetings and WI's (me being one) and some do fine on their own going online. Of course right now I am doing my own thing and I concentrated more on the exercise part before worrying about the food part. It seems to be working for me, slow, but it is coming off. I shop mostly at Wal-Mart and they have a lot of the food there. The meetings I attended never sold any food. There are a few ladies here doing WW and they can give you some good pointers and I am sure they will chime in once they post.

Okay, I think I got everyone that had posted on the last thread! Hi to everyone else

Thank you ladies about the pics! The first 9 or 10 were of the Turning Blue ceremony on Thursday. Actually, the first 2 or three they were coming up the hill from practicing for graduation. Then the next few were the turning blue. If they had any family memebers there they wanted them to put the blue cord on their uniform and that's what I was doing. Friday was the graduation and they did pu ton a show. Showing us some of the things they had done since we were there for the drill competition. Then we went to the Infantry Musuem, those were the last two or three photos...the one of the statue/memorial and Josh. We took two rolls of 24 and some we were trying to run the roll out (that's why V took some photos of me alone, ick!) so we could have the pictures developed before getting on the plane. Anyway, and yes, I am very proud of Josh. He has come a long way and I am proud that he wants to follow in his dads footsteps. His dad served in Vietnam before being wounded. His grandfather also served in the Army, World War 1 I believe, can't remember. Anyway...

Not much happening today. Did manage to get out this morning and get to Wal-Mart and man was it cold! The wind was blowing so hard. Thought about doing it last night but didn't since I was going to take DD to the ear doctor. They don't know what's up. She's having a pain in her left ear that feels like someone is poking needles in her ear and they can't find anything wrong. He thinks it might be her jaw and said she is working it too much! Just sounded funny to me, you had to be there when he was working his jaw and saying that! Anyway, sorry about the novel here ladies...I get a bit chatty sometimes. Going to go find something to do for the rest of the day besides stay warm!

Take care and I hope all is well with you and yours in your little corner of the world. And you are staying warm! See ya
Old 12-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #3  
I wanna be a page 5 girl

Hi Cristi, I'm just subscribing now
I was curious, what has been your total weight loss?
Take care,
EM
Old 12-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #4  
One day at a time

Hiya EM! it's there on my tickers...so far I have lost 13 pounds. That is since September. Kind of not being doing my walking like I did in the beginning but I still get in some and am watching what goes in my mouth. That and making sure I drink my water and take my vitamins.

P.S. My highest weight was 220 but when I joined WW a few years ago I was at 210. I've gone back and forth about putting my highest weight on my weight tracker because that was so long ago. When I started again for the umpteenth time this past Sept. I was at 207 and went with that.

Last edited by FrouFrou; 12-07-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:27 PM   #5  
One day at a time

Okay, Jane, I found it! DUH! I was looking on the forum page and not the HOME page! It sounds like you guys had a wonderful/bonding time, which I know you did from all that you told us and what you took away from it. I've seen all these ladies posting and it's nice putting a face to the name. I also am looking forward to our very own meeting in Vegas, just know it will be as special as the mods meeting!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #6  

Height: 5'1"

Quicky reply for now....I'm in the mist of cleaning up!

Not pictures! Can you believe that? I was so far back (it's a huge place) and all the lights were out.(except on the stage of coarse) So nothing showed up! So I gave up.

Em--Books for an 11yr old? Well....my DD is 11 and she's into the Lemony Snicket books too. I think they're good books for all ages. If you have a Barnes & Noble nearby, they have an area w/discount books, maybe you can find one there.

Cristi--If you want the smell of trees, why not cut some branches and make some makeshift wreaths? I took some of the branches James cut off the bottom and kind of tied them together and hung one up. Smells good.

Julie-- Hello & Welcome! I've never done WW but I hear such great things about it. I hope you like our area and get a chance to pop back in and tell us more about ya!

Michelle--So what is it that you're doing at work? Sounds like a lot to do. Take care of yourself and be careful. And come back soon when you have more time!

Katy--Glad to hear that Leigh is alright. My youngest brother was kind of the same way. He ended up in speech therapy and that really helped. You get one on one for awhile and then they're ready for the big classes.

Connie--Your holiday breakfast sounds fun. I have my Christmas party at work next Saturday. I had asked my sister if she'd watch Jhanai while I was gone and it turns out that she's having a dinner get together w/my family at my grandpas. That's only a mile away from my house....like that idea!

Angie--Jhanai did such a beautiful job. Not that I could hear her in particular but she looked great on stage and I didn't hear one squeak from any of the kids. She looked so cute in her little top. And seeing all the kids tap their foot to the music made me smile. It was a good recital.

Hmmmm....so much for my quicky. Ok, now to get to my house work!

Love to you all!!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #7  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Marti - yeah, seems photos don't usually turn out well in a place like that when the lights are turned down. I tried to get some of Katie's play, but it was too dark, then they turned out real well at her graduation.

Connie - so will the new girlfriend be coming for a meal? Does his bringing her home mean they are serious?

Angie - yep, I too wish we could get back to basics. Not gonna happen, though. I must have missed where you asked what everyone puts on top of their tree. We have an angel that's been in my family as far back as I can remember. Surprisingly, she's in fairly good shape.

Em - I have all granddaughters, so I'm no help with the book idea. Sorry! Sounds like the Lemony Snickett idea would be a good one, though.

Jewel - I lost 85 pounds with WW, and have kept off most of it. (not all, though!) I couldn't get to the meetings so just did it at home, and came here for encouragment. It's all about which would be better for you, though.

Michelle - get some rest, hon!

Katy - hope those weren't MY knickers you were talking about, lol. So glad Leigh's bloodwork came back ok. What a relief, right??

Cristi - I wondered if you got your shopping done today. I went today too, a day early, since we're supposed to get so much snow. Hope they get Carrie's ear/jaw problem figured out. You know, I had just said to myself that the Vegas JL meet up would be as much fun as the Philly mod one, then I read what you wrote. I didn't expect to bond as much with the mods because I wasn't sure I fit in at all, but I did bond with them. I can only imagine how cool it's going to be to meet you JL gals.

As I told Cristi, I got my shopping done today so I don't have to get out in the snow tomorrow. We're supposed to get between 3 and 6 inches. I'm supposed to meet a friend for lunch in town tomorrow. Don't think that's going to happen.

Before I went shopping, I helped sister Maggie clean out her huge extra closet. We hauled tons of stuff to the Goodwill, and the closet sure looks better. I took the ingredients with me to make chili soup while I was there, for my family's dinner tomorrow. Sounds good for a snowy day.

Better run - take care.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 PM   #8  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Good evening ladies,
Welcome Jewel! Im a total believer in the meetings at WW. I find that I seem to do better when I go and sit in on the meetings. Where as if I stop in weight in and go. Not sure about the on line thing...I need personal interation...85 lbs does sound like alot...but take baby steps and start. Ask Jane,,,I personally need even more than that..right now I would be happy to do 28 lbs...and then so forth.

Cristi, my generation is the first not to be in service. My dad joined the US army back in the early 60's. Even though he was Canadian,,,he crossed the boarder and said he was older then he was just to escape my grandmother's raith. Italy would be cool to go to. And you will just have to get all doped up and fly over and see him...better yet bring your favorite JL with you...ahem that would be me! lol

Em,,,Lemony Snicket is popular,,,so is the Cronicles of Narnia...being that the movie comes out next week. And any book by Jenny Nemo (sp)

Katy...glad to know Leigh is ok medically. Tanner did a yar of speach therapy. And well came close to being a kindergarten drop out...seriously had some clinging issues.

Marti,,,I love watching the lil kids play. So serious...and worried about squeaking,,,and hoping your watching. Tanner is back in band..but has to miss his christmas concert due to his rehearsal.

Well need to get dinner ready...
Old 12-07-2005, 11:56 PM   #9  
a work in progress

Hi ladies!

I love, love, love the new Christmas smilies:

heeheehee...

Em, don't know about the Lemony Snickett books, have heard they are good, but don't know much about them. You can find any of the Chronicles of Narnia in paperback; my boys really liked Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Horse and His Boy, and The Silver Chair. You might also look for a science picture book about sharks, or spiders, or space, something cool. Sometimes there are really great ones in the bargain books at Barnes and Noble or Borders.

Marti, no pics, but how was the recital?

RosieKate, glad Miss Leigh is ok. Yep, can't do much to change a kid's temperament, just gotta figure out what makes 'em tick and go with the flow All three of my boys have ADD, and didn't do well in large busy classrooms when they were younger -- one of the reasons we homeschooled for seven years. I, too, like the mix of holiday traditions from different cultures all over the world -- all in the spirit of Peace on Earth and Goodwill Toward All Men. I do feel sad when people get upset or offended at the mention of "Christmas". For those of us who celebrate the birth of Christ, Christmas has that very special meaning. But whether or not someone is a Christian, just enjoy it for what it is, embrace the things about the season that you love, even if it's just being with your family and friends, or that strangers feel the need to give and be charitable and take care of those less fortunate. I don't have to be from India to have fun at a Hindu friend's wedding; I don't have to be Jewish to think a menorah is beautiful; I don't have to be African American to appreciate the wonderful values Kwanzaa celebrates. OK, I'll get down off my soapbox, now

Jewel, I am on WW, and couldn't do it without the meetings. I need the accountability of the weekly weigh ins, and the encouragement and information I get from the leader and the other members. But the encouragement here is great, too WW doesn't sell preplanned foods, just some snackbars and stuff at their centers, cookbooks, etc. It's all about teaching you how to cook and eat real food, how to order in restaurants, make good choices, understand portion control, stuff for real life. I love it. Even if you aren't a member, the WW site on the web has great info, and there is a WW thread here on 3FC that has good recipes and ideas.

Connie, little kids with hammers and nails??? EEK! Bet they had a blast, though...and I can see them all in their little froggy safety goggles

Cristi, I got the postcards you sent -- Georgia is pretty!

Jane, I've been clearing closets, hauling to Goodwill, trying to sort and file papers...and feel like I'm just treading water. But I guess I'm starting to get somewhere, little by little. And I've finally got most of my Christmas shopping done, so now it's time to start having fun

Went to the hand surgeon -- got a new doctor, since the last one made me nervous. He talked to me for 5 minutes, then reached for my left arm. I said, "The problem is my right arm," and he said, "No it isn't, it's your left..." And I said, "No, it's my right arm, I'm quite sure." So he squinted at the xray and said, "Hmm, oh, this must be reversed." EEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!! And he is a SURGEON!!! New doc is much better, very nice, really listened, and she was highly recommended by a co-worker who does the same job I do and had to have carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. Bad news, though...looks like I need surgery My arm is getting worse, I'm losing the grip in my hand, wake up with my hand asleep all the time, and I hurt almost all the time. She submitted the authorization paperwork, and we may do this in January.

Alright, gotta balance my checkbook...have a good night, ladies, and pleasant dreams...

Hugs,
Katiecat
Old 12-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #10  
ugggg.....

Em- In addition to the a science option for books from Katiecat, there used to be a series on really gross stuff that my son liked, he also liked the Guiness Book of World Records. I just did a stocking for "a girl aged 4-6" which was fun but it is harder because it's not someone you know likes or dislikes for.

Marti-both my kids were in chorus and my daughter played the violin. Going to all the school programs and watching them is something I really miss since they've grown up on me--Treasure the Moments!!!

RosieCat--my son tested for his reading comprehension at a college junior level when he was in middle school but failed most of his classes, I continually received notes that he didn't turn in the homework that I watched him do. He is working to be an electrician and doing well now but I pulled my hair out for years. A really good book I read was The Way they Learn by Cynthia Tobias. It gave me some pointers to help from home.

Angie-- we alternate between my husband and son's favorite star and the angel that my daughter and I love for the top of the tree each year

Jane- I salute you for getting your shopping done--I just started!! That chili soup does sound good on a cold day--I think I might make some this weekend!

Cristi - one of my son's good friends just went to Iraq, we have been emailing and are waiting for something from him and another friend leaves in the spring. A coworker went with her husband who was an MP to Korea and taught English while she was there--They both missed it when they left and keep in touch with some Korean friends they made while there

Jewel--a quick welcome from the other Jules!! Good luck with WW.

Katie cat- I am not sure how far along your wrists are, but I have neck problems and every now and then I get the numbness in my hand or lose grip on something--which can be really embarrasing at the grocery store and you lose hold of something glass. My chiropractor works on a muscle right below my elbow but halfway between the elbow and the bend of the arm straight up from my right ring finger (hope that made sense) He says that muscle gets tight like all the restr of our muscles and when he works on it I can go quite a while without the numbness. He believes that a lot of carpal tunnel syndrome is actually that muscle being tight. I don't know if this info can help you but I thought I'd put it out for you. If you do have to have surgery I wish you good luck and hope you have a doctor that can read the xrays. Maybe write "this is the one that needs fixed" on the right side before they put you under.
I also agree with you message to Rosiecat that you can enjoy beauty in things whether it applies to your religion or choice to not practice any religion. Just because something is not someones choice doesn't give that person the right to take away that which is someone elses choice.

Well, I have gone on long enough and my break is over--back to work

If I missed anyone-sorry!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #11  
RosieKate

Hi All!
Thanks for the kind words re: Leigh. She's such a happy kid...we are so fortunate! There's no denying my kids have their quirks. I find it interesting that with my son, who is now 9, his quirks at age 3-4 were more, hmmm, tolerated I guess is the word. Teachers were just more reassuring about him. My daughter has the same sensitivities, and they are less dramatic than his were, and there's all this interest in evaluating her. Well, we are about done with all that. We don't want to overlook anything, but we also want to move beyond all this and just let her play, be a kid, and just grow the way she's supposed to.

Jane - I certainly didn't mean your knickers, missy, lol! I probably didn't word it as well as I could have. I meant to communicate that I think people get too extreme on either side of the issue of holiday symbolism. I just like to see it all, you know? I don't think you are too extreme.

Hi to everyone else out there today. I have a messy house to clean and I need to check out the winter clothing status for the kids. It's getting very cold. We might get snow this winter, so I figured I had better check. I get too complacent with our mild winters, then get caught off guard by a cold spell and the kids have no snow pants. sigh. This probably seems silly to all of you east of the Rockies who are looking out your windows at the lovely snow!

Old 12-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #12  
One day at a time

Hi ladies!

Just a quickie for me right now. I shouldn't even be on the computer but I am bored!! V got up this morning to a really cold house and noticed the temp was a chilly 60 degrees. Our furnace went out sometime early this morning-GREAT! At 6 this morning it was 9 degrees and they said with the wind chill it was -15! Brrrrrrr....called the emergency number that says someone will call back within the hour-yeah right! I waited until a little after 8 and then called. Of course we knew they would be busy so I am sitting around trying to find things to do until they call. Like I said, shouldn't be on the computer because they may call but am trying to make it quick. I have done two loads of laundry so far, shoveled the drive-way, and did a fine job I might add. Vacuumed the stairs, the rest of the house is next and I have my beans cooking for chili tonight. Anyway, I really need to get off this thing don't want to miss the furnace guys even though he said they are swamped but will get out sometime today. Thanks goodness for that fireplace otherwise we would be freezing!

Take care ladies and have a great day! And stay warm!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #13  
ugggg.....

Hi Cristi,

Sorry I missed you last time. I might be shoveling snow tomorrow morning. It's supposed to start around 10:00 tonight and total 3-5 inches and then a second storm is supposed to come through and dump another 1-3, but if they hit each other we could get feet. YUCK!!!
December is hard, there are three work partys, three birthday dinners and the Christmas Eve at my sister-in-laws and then the DS,DD, my mom & my brother at our house Christmas Day. If I can even maintain my current weight this month I will be doing good. I'll be at Slim-N-Tone the six days a week that they are open.
Haven't lost pounds , but my clothes are fitting looser !!
Old 12-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #14  

Height: 5'1"

Good Afternoon Ladies!

Jane--I've read that there is suppose to be snow coming to town, not sure when or if we'll actually see any in the valley. Have seen snow on the hills though! Hope it doesn't make it to the valley floors.....scares me to drive in it!

Angie--Jhanai was adorable up on that stage. They made a video of the recital, so I'm hoping to get one sometime soon. I have to have Jhanai order one for me. She had wanted to go to choir & band next year, but she chose to stick w/band. (I love to see her sing too....wish she'd reconsider)

MaryKate--The recital was very nice! I was very impressed w/all the kids. And the advanced bands and choir were amazing. Little kids w/such great talent! So glad to hear you got another Dr!!! I was shocked to read that he was telling you what hand was the problem!! Time for the Dr to retire!

Julie--I would love for Jhanai to learn to play the violin! I love strings. My favorite classical music are string intruments. Especially the Christmas ones!

Katy--I'm thinking our mild winter isn't going to happen this year. It's been so cold and I've already seen the snow mixed in the rain. And the hills......down here they're nice and white. I think, that if they have snow days off from school...we should have them from work!

Cristi--Hope you get your heater working! At least you have your fireplace. We have a wood stove and I have been trying to keep that up. But once James & I are off to work and one of us gets home, it's nice to have that furnance kick on. So heres to keeping my fingers crossed that your furnance guy fixes yours!

Hello to all the other ladies out there!!

Not much going on at the moment. I'm getting my Christmas Card list in order and will start writing them out as soon as I have all address together! Then I'm mailing them out this weekend.

Better get moving. Just think, it's almost Friday!!!

Talk to you all soon.

hugs
Old 12-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #15  
One day at a time

Default Hello Ladies

Okay, back again but it took a while to catch up on all the posts I don't have time to post much. The furnace guy finally came out about 2'ish, thank goodness. I was getting a little worried that we would end up with no heat tonight other than the fireplace. And thankfully the sun was shining. So...I had the fireplace going, the dryer, had all the blinds in the living room, dining & kitchen open to let the sun warm up things, and I had the oven and stove going so it was pretty warm up there. Now going to the restroom or in one of the bedrooms was another story, brrrrr. Apparently there was a short somewhere and he fixed it. He also checked everything else while he was here and didn't charge a dime! They did it under the warranty which I was wondering if it still would be under the warranty considering it is a new unit. Anyway, I was on a roll with baking and baked some choc. chip and blueberry muffins, just 6 each and then made some cornbread muffins to have with the chili. Just need to make some pigs in a blanket-geez, why can't everyone like the same thing?! Anyway, need to get going and get ready to make some pigs in a blanket to go with the chili also. The chili was ready about 1 and has been simmering in the crock pot since and I have to say I am ready for some! Will catch up on individuals tomorrow ladies. Have a good night all!
Closed Thread