Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

View Poll Results: What reward works best for you?
Food- A small treat if you've been good. 4 11.43%
Material- New clothes, new books, new cds, etc. 15 42.86%
Event/experience- Trip to the spa, getaway, going to a concert, museum, etc. 5 14.29%
Nothing- Reaching the goal is your reward. 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #1  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Default Rewards

Do you reward yourself when you achieve a goal? If so, what works best for you?
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:52 PM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

Treating myself to something, like a DVD or CD works for me!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

I've never rewarded myself. I don't really have the money, and potential rewards don't motivate me.
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

I sometimes use this self-reward method.....I "pay" myself for every exercise session or when I don't indulge in office candy/extra food, eat healthy food from home--(much cheaper too).

So I save the $$ in jar and when I feel I deserve it I can buy something nice for myself (last time it was fancy lingerie from Vicky's Secret)
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #5  

Rewards of this type do nothing for me. If I need/want a material thing -- or a trip or a massage or whatever -- and I can afford it, I get it. Holding it out as something I can only do if I reach a number on a scale is not helpful to me. It won't make me stay on track any more than I already am; besides, the number on the scale isn't always under my control. I also think food rewards are an absolutely awful idea.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #6  

Yes, food rewards always struck me as strange. IMO, they reinforce the whole "dieting is punishment" concept. And punishment is something that one wants to get over as soon as possible. As it stands now, if I want to have a particular meal, I do so. With the understanding that this will make it a bit longer for me to reach goal. But once I reach goal, I don't want to suddenly throw caution to the wind and start eating the way I used to!

A lower weight on the scale, and looser fitting clothes, are to me their own reward. I just feel so good when I see the numbers go down!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #7  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl
I also think food rewards are an absolutely awful idea.
I agree 100%;using food as a reward for ANYONE is not a reasonable, supportive thing to do! I'm starting a thread on this
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #8  
Keep on going!

S/C/G: 278.3/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5

ive been losing alot quicker than expected, and i normally have treats already here and there, so now my self control is a lot better, so i like having my reward being a dessert treat (obviously wont work for everyone lol) .... either that or ill buy a new top or jeans.
alsten02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #9  

I don't reward myself with food, that's how I got into this mess! However like Tealeaf, I do eat something if I want it. I would rather get to goal that bit slower and not feeling deprived than whizz down to goal then blow out on all the food I have "deprived" myself of. Been there, done that, not going there again.

I started with a reward scheme, Jo Malone perfume for each 10 lb lost, I got one, and then I found my dress sizes started dropping. So now it has been new clothes and make up. My face has changed so much that now I want to wear make up, I never bothered before.

I find I need tangible rewards to keep myself going, but I use the necessary stuff as I slim down, to be my reward. For example I bought a cross over cardigan with embroidery and beading because it was gorgeous (a bit dearer than a plain one) in a US14 (bearing in mind I was a US22 - 24 when I started) and it's been its own reward as I have had so many compliments on it and my figure since I bought it!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #10  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

When I consider food as a reward, I don't think of eating healthy as "punishment". I just think of the treat as something I don't get very often. I still like eating healthy. I love fruits and vegetables and grilled chicken and stir frys. But it's not a punishment to eat them if I reward myself with a Heath bar once in a while.

I think the trick is to not use trigger foods. If I use onion rings or french fries as a reward, I'm done for. But if it's a candy bar or a Girl Scout cookie, I'm fine.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #11  
LLV

I don't see anything wrong with allowing yourself a small treat now and then, but when you get into that "I've been doing good so I deserve this" mentality, it can quickly get out of hand. Instead of looking at the treats as "rewards", just count them in with your calories and include them in with your lifestyle.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #12  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I always used to plan out rewards, but I would always forget to do them. The things I really want I buy anyway, so the things I tried to reward myself with were things I never seem to find time for (manicures and the like) Well, it turns out I still couldn't find time for them.

In the end, feeling better and wearing smaller clothes was it's own reward.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #13  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

For my first stone I got myself an iPod, since then I've stopped giving myself "formal" rewards, just buying clothes when I need them, with the occasional haircut. I like using holidays as rewards/targets - I aim towards a weight I want to be for the holiday, and if I make it I give myself a bit of leeway to go a bit off plan without feeling too guilty about it.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:00 PM   #14  

Material rewards have never done anything for me. If I want a "treat" food I have it. They are always a well considered choice, though, not a reward for reaching a certain weight loss goal. I do splurge on clothes but it is out of necessity as the weight comes off. Perhaps I spend more these days but only because I enjoy shopping and how I look in clothes now. Again, it isn't because I feel I deserve them for a particular weight loss accomplishment.

Chris Rock has a stand up bit that references a guy who claims, "I take care of my kids!" Chris' response is, "What do you want? A cookie? You are SUPPOSED to take care of your kids!" I look at my body much the same way. Losing weight was for my health and my self esteem. I'm not doing anything special. Taking care of me is what I'm SUPPOSED to do - and what I should have been doing all along.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #15  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I agree with that. I met my original goal (40kg) today, and was trying to decide on a little reward. It turns out that I don't really want anything. I've got past the stage where I need to reward myself for exercising and eating properly, I just do it because I need to and I vaguely enjoy it rather than because it will earn me material benefits. Most of the stuff I do reward myself with that I talked about above is stuff I'd have bought or done anyway, but badging it as a reward makes me feel less guilty for treating myself, it doesn't actually motivate me to get to that point in the first place. Does that make sense.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote