Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 03:28 PM   #1  
Thursday Lady

Smile Thursday Chatters

Hi, the thread Tammy started is getting long so here's another one.

Laura - men are pigs sometimes.
I hope you enjoy your manicure and pedicure. Do they have those chairs that vibrate? I've never tried one but they have them where I've gone.

Is everyone ready for 3 glorious days away from work???? Yes, Yes, Yes, yes--need I go on?

Here's a kick in the pants. Remember I said I was taking an online course in desktop publishing? My church leaders paid for the books (course was free). Well, I have been told that I will not be doing any more desktop work - that I would be "shuffling papers"! They didn't use those terms but that's what it meant. I couldn't imagine why EXCEPT the new minister has decided the "guy" secretary is creative and I am not.
The guy is as surprised as me. He's thinking about quitting. He doesn't want to do all that work.
Isn't life grand!

Have a great holiday
Tina
Old 08-31-2001, 08:24 PM   #2  
Susan

Howdy,

Thank goodness it is a long weekend!! I hope it rains all weekend too!! Now isn't that sad. I just want to rest.

Laura, Tina took the words right out of my mouth. You deserve a manicure and pedicure. Go and relax!!!

Tina, thanks for starting a new thread. The other one was getting very slow!!! That stinks about the desk top publishing and your job. Did the new minister make the changes in your job? Why would he do such a thing!!

I met my team at TGI Friday's after school. This year I have a great group of people working with me. It will at least make it fun. One of my co worker's fell in the hallway on Wed. and dislocated her shoulder and fractured a bone. She'll be out for at least a week. I felt so sorry for her. To top it off, she is retiring this year.

Have a great weekend!!!

Susan
Old 08-31-2001, 09:05 PM   #3  

Tina, that is really a bite in the buns about your job! It's not fair! Keep us posted on what is going on.

Susan, how awful about your co-worker! Poor thing. I think I'd do disability and retire early!!!!!!!! You know where my mind is!!

The first week of school has been fine. I only have one little girl who can't seem to follow any of the directions that are given (for me or my team teacher). It's a sticky situation because her dad teaches in our high school. He and his wife requested the child be with us. We told the principal that we didn't think it was a good idea because of personality differences and educational beliefs. The principal put her with us anyway. I told him the other day that I would never forgive him for putting her in my class. Even the woman from the school for the deaf asked me what was wrong with the kid since she didn't do anything that she was told.

I've asked the school nurse to check her hearing so we can rule that out as a problem. I think the problem is that she is spoiled rotten, gets everything she wants, doesn't have any responsibilites because parents do everything for her (her dad even carries her school bag into the school in the mornings and out in the afternoons), and I could go on and on. I feel sorry for the child.

Enough of that. I need to relax, not think about the situation, and enjoy the weekend!

Hey, I can do 1-10 in signing now! My little boy is very proud of me!!!! LOL
Old 09-01-2001, 01:17 AM   #4  
Thursday Team

Gee it doesn't sound like people are too happy this week.

Sorry to hear about your job not going the way you want it to Tina, are you still taking the desk top class online?

I'm not sure I'd agree that men are pigs, but I'm finding my guy friend to be boring lately. I want some romance in my life, and he just seems to want to do nothing....

Laura, hope you enjoyed your manicure/pedicure, I've never had one, but it does sound relaxing (thats suppose to be a relaxing look)

Ahhh Tammy, that's mean to call the child spoiled....there might be a reason she doesnt do anything she's told. I have a child that dont do what she's told, and there is a reason...(I wont say any more as it would fill up a whole page), but you need to give her a chance, and not hold her dad's ideas against her.

Hope you all have a good holiday (I get to work Monday )
Dee
Old 09-02-2001, 08:56 PM   #5  
Susan

Dee, I'm sorry that you have to work on Monday!!

Tammy, it sounds like there is more to that little girl in your class. Being a special ed. teacher, several things come to mind. Does she have a hard time staying still? It could be several things like ADHD, Oppositional Defiance, or even emotional disturbance. Or just spoiled. I would start encouraging the parents to let her come into the building by herself. Congrats on learning 1-10. Believe me, you have won your young man over!! There is nothing more special than learning or wanting to know how to sign for a deaf person. Here's a big pat on the back!!!!

Tina, how are you doing?

Have a great weekend!!

Susan
Old 09-02-2001, 09:21 PM   #6  

Hi all! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

The little girl has no problems sitting still. She walks into the building with her dad since he teaches in the high school which is upstairs from the elementary. All elementary students are supposed to report to the cafeteria when they arrive in the morning. Her dad says she doesn't have to and she wanders through the high school and elementary halls. They have another daughter who is going to grow up the same way. I know many people that go to their church, and the girls are permitted to do whatever they want. Get up during the service and wander around, crawl over and under the pews, talk while others are talking, and the list goes on.

I know I'm not always right, but after 24 years of teaching, it's pretty easy to pick out the ones who have no responsibilites at home and whose parents don't make them behave. Even the hearing impaired boy is following my directions for everything. Also, the 2 boys who come to my room from the multi-handicapped room (both very slow), follow my directions.

Last year's teachers were told by the parents that the girl didn't have to do the same assignments that the rest of the class did if she didn't feel like it. I just found that out this week. I think they need to home-school her or send her to the school where she lives. She is coming to our school on open-enrollment.

The dad told me last year that he wanted the girl with my team teacher and I because he knew that we were strict and that we would straighten her out. My team teacher told him that kind of thing has to start at home, and he already had a late start on it. He laughed and said it was because the girl is so cute and he doesn't want her mad at him. Thanks guy!
Susan, I have to keep practicing the numbers so I don't forget! I had to learn them because one day I tried to do 3, and he thought that I meant W!!!!

Enough of this. Need to go read a little bit. I don't read as much as I'd like after school starts. Wonder why?
Old 09-02-2001, 11:00 PM   #7  
Thursday Lady

Good evening,

Tammy, I've been thinking about your situation. That's a tough one. The father sounds like he doesn't want to be a father. What's up with the mother? Sounds like she hasn't been doing anything. Sorry you are having trouble.
Did you get some reading done?

Susan, are you going to sleep all day tomorrow? Are you getting rain? If not, please take ours.

The tea I'm giving is next Sunday. That date is getting too close. I've cleaned most of the floors. Tomorrow I tackle the "bathroom bowls." I even went out and bought a new toilet brush--just for the occaision. Our cat was sitting on the end table awhile ago. He was scratching and I could see the hair flying. Oh No---I'll have to sweep again next Saturday. ha..ha..

I don't prescribe this for weight loss, but, I've lost 4 pounds since Monday. I've been so upset about work that I just can't eat. When I do eat, it's half of something. If I can find something good in all this----I'll have a good weigh in this week.
Larry took me to Benigan's after church today. We each got a seafood plate. I ate 2 shrimp and the crab cake. It was all fried. I thought I'd puke in the car coming home. I didn't.

I am thinking about how to handle the situation at work. I'll keep y'all informed.

Dee, can you give your guy a hint that you want to go out?

Laura, how was the manicure/pedicure?

Let's all have a great Labor Day!

Tina
Old 09-03-2001, 09:05 AM   #8  

Tina, I can honestly say that I have never purchased a new toilet brush for a special occasion! LOL Sounds like it will be a great time though. Are you going to point out the new brush to your guests? A friend of mine has a toilet brush with a cow on the handle.

The mother of the little girl is a former teacher. She quit when she had the girls. I think she works part-time in a book store, not sure. The rest of the class has been a pleasure though. That makes up for it. I did move the girl closer to the front of the room (in fact we rearranged all the seats) so she will be able to hear me better. I wear a microphone every day because of the little boy with the coclear implant, so hearing my instructions shouldn't be a problem for any of the students.

We haven't been to Bennigans in years! The closest one is about 20 miles from here, don't know why we haven't been back.

I know what you mean about fried foods! They bother me too when I haven't been eating them much.

Tina, I think I found your 4 pounds! I weighed today (don't know why) and I was up 3! Had a late large supper last night. I'll try to do better today and not eat so late. We were so busy doing things, we just got a late start.

I need to go into my classroom this afternoon for about an hour (yea, right). I won't have time on Tues. or Wed. to get some things done (no breaks except lunch on those days). Meetings after school both days.

Have a great Labor Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2001, 10:28 AM   #9  

Hiya! Hope everyone had a great weekend. Manicure and pedicure were wonderful. Even with my stubby little fingernails, they look glam with the reddish-pink polish! And my toes look fab as well I'm definitely going to be doing this more often. I figure if I start getting weekly manicures, maybe my fingernails will actually grow and strengthen. Hey, a girl can hope, can't she?!

Rest of the weekend was good, too. Went to see my grandmother on Sunday. She hadn't been doing too well lately (she'll be 92 in November), suffering through some muscular weakness affecting her speech and her neck. She even had taken to putting all her food in a blender because she couldn't swallow. I was shocked how marvelous she looked on Sunday, though. She totally had her spunk back, her speech was fine, her neck seemed a bit stronger, and she mentioned several times how many more miles she had left on her! Apparently these new meds she's on worked wonders. Yay!

My sister invited herself and her family over on Sunday, so I spent most of the day cooking. Made shrimp salad and guacamole, both to go on homemade tortilla chips. Followed that with coq au vin, roast potatoes and chopped salad. Chocolate cake for dessert (it was a belated birthday celebration for my nephew). And no, I didn't even attempt to calculate the points! I figure I worked some of it off playing bocce with the kids

Read a few books as well. All in all a VERY restful weekend, which was much needed!

Tammy, sorry you're having difficulty with this little girl. Hopefully you'll be able to get through to her! It's super that you're bonding with your new little guy - learning his language is so great!

Tina, I am absolutely awed by your cleaning prowess. A new toilet brush and everything!

Ok, I've rambled on long enough. Have a good week, everyone!

Laura~
Old 09-04-2001, 03:25 PM   #10  
Thursday Lady

Hi all,
I thought me and my computer would get washed away today. We had such a downpour that our backyard was a lake again.

I had to work some this morning, even though it's my day off.
I went out for Chinese afterwards. While in there, it started lightening and pouring down rain. No umbrella, of course. I came home and jumped into the shower. Now that I'm clean--even my hair, it' time to scrub the kitchen floor.

Laura, I've heard that manicure do strenghthen nails. Keep it up.

Hope everyone has a good first day back.

Tina
Old 09-05-2001, 07:00 PM   #11  
Thursday Lady

Nola, I'm so sorry about the death of your stepmother. A lot of us have lost loved ones are have suffered major illnesses in our families. You are among friends. Like Tammy said, don't worry about gaining weight at this time. You will come back with a vengance.

It's still raining here, people. Make it go somewhere else for this weekend. I'm giving a tea on Sunday afternoon. I don't have grass in half of my front yard. I don't want the ladies mucking through mud.

Good luck everyone at weigh in.
Tina
Old 09-06-2001, 06:03 AM   #12  
Susan

Hi everyone,

Yes it is 4:00 in the morning. I've been awake since 3 and couldn't go back to sleep. I have a rule, I can't get out of bed. However, toda I broke it after being awake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I'll probably be a zoombie this afternoon at school.

Tina, hope the rain stops and it dries some for your tea. How many people will be coming? It sounds like alot of fun ( and work too) It will turn out great!!! Hope your tummy has calmed down some so you can enjoy yourself!

We had tornadoes not too far from my house today. Luckily Pat was home. (that is hubby) He said it was ok to come home after school. I was a little freaked out since it was so close to home. Been hit by lightning before and don't ever want another experience like that one again.

Tammy, you have your work cut out for you. It is such a sticky situation when it is a teacher's child. I'd talk to the prinicpal as well for some guidance. Don't give in to her!! Like I need to tell you that! Don't you hate it when 1 or 2 kids change the whole dyanmics of your class?

Nola, sorry about the death in your family. I know it is hard so don't beat yourself up for a gain. That's not the most important thing now.

Laura, that's great about your grandmother! I miss mine so much!!! She was a true treasure!! I think about her daily and often I Know she comes to visit me. I can smell her (it's not a smell I can create) and I feel her presences. I treasure those moments..... (It's not the lack of sleep talking either!!)

By the way, I"ve been getting regular manicures every couple of weeks. It does help your nails get stronger. YOu need to put on NailTeks everyday. I can't believe the difference in my nails. Glad they look great!

Well, guess I'm off to see if I can go back to sleep. DOubt it since I'm not even tired. Gotta get up in a hour anyway. Sorry about the rambling....Not much to do at this hour.

Have a great day!
Susan
Old 09-06-2001, 12:51 PM   #13  

Boy, Susan, I hope you did get back to sleep! I woke up about 4 this morning, too, but I think that's because I feel asleep reading, while completely dressed with the light on! I managed to get right back to sleep, though - phew.

I'm not going to weigh in today. Just don't feel like it. I think I pretty much stayed the same, and since I couldn't stay for the meeting anyway, seems like a waste of $$.

Nola, I'm sorry to hear about your stepmother. You just do what you need to do for yourself and your family, and worry about the weight issue later.

Laura~
Old 09-06-2001, 01:36 PM   #14  
Thursday Lady

Laura, I'm with you. I don't want to spend the $$ tonight.

Susan, I can relate to your sleeplessness. Since all this mess at work, I've been waking in the night. I usually write my retirement letter in my mind. When I wake up, I can't remember anything but that it was a piece of sheer genius.

Yes, friends, y'all are the first to know. On Monday, the elders will each receive my letter of retirement. I'll work until the end of September. Things are geting very "cold" and unbearable in the office. I'd planned on working until I got too old. Not now.

Have a good Thursday!

Tina
134 goal weight
Old 09-06-2001, 06:41 PM   #15  
Susan

Well ladies,

I never went back to sleep. Played on the computer for a little while, I tried to go back to bed only to stare out the dormer window, so I finally got up and sat in the chair w/ a blanket. My cats came and joined me. Then that dreadful sound..... the alarm!!! BOO!!!! I finally crashed at 3:00 this afternoon. Slept for 2 hours on the couch.

Laura, I with you on weighing in tonight. If I'm going to pay this much money, I want to see some real results. Ain't gonna happen tonight.

Tina, you go girl!!! I know it was a hard decision to make. Something better will come along!! I bet they will be surprized.

Went to the knee dr. today. Have to go back in 6 weeks. He wants me to go back to water aerobics. So I'll start up next week.

Have a great day.
Susan
Closed Thread