Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 260/(see ticker)/160

Default Looking for weight loss buddy w/ 100 or so pounds to lose

Hi, my name is Dee and I am a 46 yrs. old stay-at-home mom. I am starting the Prism Weight Loss Program next week..and would like someone to touch base with every day for encouragement, prayers, tips or just a 'hello..your not in this alone kind of thing!" ....I am a born again believer....I received Jesus Christ as my Saviour in 1992....and have come to realize that my eating habits (addiction) does not bring glory to my Lord and Saviour! (OUCH!) 1Cor.10:31
So far, haven't figured out how to do all the fancy stuff...so the best I can do is this cute little carrot guy! haha
Adios for now.....dee
Old 12-05-2005, 07:03 AM   #2  
1 Day, 1 Choice @ a time

Hiya Dee!
I have a lovely friend in Alabama named Dee.....and your post caught my eye. I haven't posted here at 3FC and have gotten info for over a year. I didn't remember even registering! LOL! Oh well....in learning new things something has to go?

Yes..our eating patterns can be considered an addiction and in contining to feed the addiction...we stay in bondage.
I too, know Jesus as Lord and Savior..healer, comforter, best friend. He can be our "personal trainer and Lord of our appetites" as well.
I want to bring glory and honer to Him, as you do and I will add your name and need to my prayer list.
My name is Brenda, I will be 53 the 13th of this month and want/need to lose about 106 pounds to reach 130. I want to regain some strength, stability (healthwise), flexibility..that I've lost due to weight gain. I've gained apx. 60 pounds in 4 years..most rather quickly due to prednisone use for Meniere's.

I'm "new" here too....and will be as active as possible in the alloted time I have. I work at a Self Storage facility, live alone and love it and occasionally have to use a timer to get me unglued from the computer!

Have a blessed day, Dee....know I'll be thinking of you and asking my personal trainer to check in with you regularly!
Love and hugs..Bren
Old 12-05-2005, 08:39 AM   #3  

Good morning Brenda!
Thank you so much for your reply and encouragement! What a blessing!

Well, today is my first day on the Prism Program. I must admit I am a little nervous...and excited too. Some of the comments you made about Jesus being your comforter, healer, best friend...really hit home.....because....I believe I have used food to fulfill those needs in my life....and hopefully I will learn to see it as 'FUEL' not the supplier of those needs.

I love the Lord and He has done so much for me....beyond anything I could have ever imagined....and I pray that I can give Him this part of me also!

Please forgive my ignorance....I do not know what prednisone or Meniere's is?

Please know that I also will be praying for you today....are you trying to lose on your own....or are you on any type of program/diet? I too, would love to regain strength and flexibility! So lets do it!!! Amen!!

Have a wonderful day.....and thank you again!

In Christ, dee

P.S. I totally can relate to the timer thing! haha....been there...done that!
Old 12-06-2005, 09:31 AM   #4  
1 Day, 1 Choice @ a time

Good morning Dee!!
I am off today and tomorrow (I work weekends) and will dive into my home blessing hour and restoration.....once I have fully recovered from yesterday! It was one of those days where I wanted to eat all day...and pretty much did!
We had our company dinner last night at the steak house and I ate every morsel and eyed my neighbors plates....as I told Betty.

Today.........I will be back on plan and yep, I have one. The key is to get God's input EARLY! Don't wait 'till 3 PM when I've eaten 5 times to say...oh by the way, bless my dinner! God is SO good...so merciful and He is interested in every area of our lives.
Turning this area...our food plan...over is the biggest issue some days. As above...I still have lots of trouble some days and nope..I didn't seek Him early yesterday! If I had, He'd have shown up.....guided my choices and helped me
STOP and think before I devoured 3 days of calories in one!

Meniere's....an inner ear imbalance where a fluid overload causes dizziness, vomiting, loss of hearing. I have lost about 80% hearing on the right and this round with the left started over 5 years ago, with advanced hearing loss after each setback. Last year I spent 7 months in relapse, with NO hearing, severe attacks of vertigo and vomiting......it's God's blessing I still have a job! Rehab paid for hearing aids, which help..a lot! The prednisone is a steroid drug which helps with inflamation. Some of the side effects are nasty...weight gain, high sugar which I now deal with.
BUT.....this year......praise God!.. I have not had one vertigo attack and my hearing came back in with about a 15% additional loss on the left side..where I can function well with the hearing aids.
I only got right again with Him this year, after a 5 year hiatus where I was playing in the devil's sandbox and misbehaving. I am SO glad God never lets go of us! He allows U-turns! When I got "obedient" and turned back to Him..He was SO merciful and began a healing in me.

I KNOW the answers to our weight issues will be found in our relationship with Him. I fully trust Him to show us what to do DAILY....and empower us to do it. My desire is to draw closer to Him and restore what I allowed the enemy to steal. I want BACK the freedom and peace I once had with Christ Jesus....and I will pursue it!

Thanks SO much for your prayers for me as well! God is with us on our journey today! Have a blessed day, Dee!
Bren
Old 12-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #5  
1 Day, 1 Choice @ a time

PS.....I am currently doing my own plan: I have a predisposition to develop diabetes, have high BP...both untreated and I am seeking God's input as i can't afford nor do I want to take drugs.
I am on dyazide for the fluid overload and must have it..which also messes with sugar levels.
So my plan of choice is moderate carb/lower fat. I do up my own charts for my dayplanner on Corel, with a daily checklist: Weight/BP/FBS/Exercise/Water etc. I have a daily chart with meal plan and exercise choices. It's not "fun" yet to exercise but it feels good when I'm DONE! LOL! I desire to do MORE of it until..hey....I know...I can use my exercise time as a sacrifice of praise to God.....knowing I am honoring Him with it, and benifitting His temple!
Old 12-06-2005, 05:41 PM   #6  

Hi Brenda!
Good to hear from you! I'm sorry I don't have time to post much right now....I'e been running around like a chicken with my head cut off!!
I've been praying for you today....sounds like you're keeping a positive attitude....and I think that may be a major part of the battle!
I'll try to post later....hubby and young son should be home soon....and I'm still doing chores!
Have a good one! dee:
Old 12-06-2005, 10:59 PM   #7  

Back again!

Whew!! It feels good to just sit and relax a minute!!

I'm so glad you are back on track w/ the Lord. Thank goodness his mercies are new every morning!!

I am so excited....I made it through Day 2...haha....only the rest of my life to go!! Seriously, I know it's the Lord....I was so nervous about starting this program...All the scary words like accountability, commitment....weighing food...counting calories.....yuk, yuk....I didn't think I could even make it through Day 1...but here I am!!

I really need to find time for exercise on a regular basis! I think I'm going to pray that the Lord will show me WHEN!!!

So will you alway have this Meniere disease? and will you always have to take medication? I'm glad that this year has been better for you!!!

I hope you were able to stay on track today. One of the things I love about the Prism Program....is every morning....you do a worksheet....pray, and read scriptures to help you on your way. Today's blessing for me didn't come from the worksheet, but the Lord showed it to me in my Bible memorization time....I'll share it with you....

Phil 3:12,13 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect......(I'm not there yet!)
v13) ......Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

I know Paul wasn't talking about weight loss..but the Holy Spirit just pierced my heart when I read this....I'm not going to dwell on past failures...I'm pressing forward w/ hope!!!

Ok, so I wrote a novel this time! I'm going to finish up some things then I'm hitting the hay (that's going to bed in Texan) I hope you had a wonderful day off and that you stayed focused.

Adios for now! dee [
Old 12-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #8  
1 Day, 1 Choice @ a time

Oh dee!
Thanks for sharing that scripture and insight! I'd meant to ask you about the Prism plan! That's wonderful! I need structure in my daily devotionals and prayer time and what you've described sounds right on target! OH how wonderful...getting through Day one and doing any plan a day at a time is key to our recovery! What a great way to start your day!
Once upon a time......I had my time with God first......and I want that again!
I had a prayer journal/devotionals notebook....I don't know if I have it buried in the closet or lost it in the move...uhh....9 years ago! I will start a NEW one..NOW! I printed your page with the scripture for my file!

You are an encouragement to me, Dee...and I thank God for putting you here and helping me get in to find you!
Don't ever worry about time spent here, as life has it's own demands and there will be times when we have time for a quick note or none at all and just knowing you are there....and keeping me in prayer and vice-versa.....will be strength building for us!

I got little done yesterday so will be catching up today. I use my timer a lot..twice already thuis morning. I spot cleaned for 30 minutes, played for an hour and will be up and at it again as soon as I log off here!
Be blessed today........I already am and will walk in that blessing all day!
I'll be back! Bren
Old 12-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #9  

Dear Brenda,
I'm glad the Lord gave me words to encourage you. My heart almost broke into when I read about your once upon a time relationship with the Lord...and how I rejoice that you are on the path of seeking to put him first again!
The Lord is rejoicing too....he settles for nothing less than first place...and oh how his children always try to fill the void with vain things!! That's why we are commanded to guard our hearts!! I pray that you will let nothing stop you from giving the Lord first place again....that's where we find peace, contentment, joy ....and the blessings from our Heavenly Father!!
I'm sorry if I sound preachy.....I've watched so many soldiers of the Lord fall by the wayside....one is my spiritual parent...the one who led me to the Lord.......I'm thankful God made me a Sunday School teacher....and I have a ministry w/ bus children.....and I spend my life warning, warning, warning...against the wiles of the Devil!!
So please bear with me, as your letter touched a special place in my heart!
I will pray not only for your weight loss victories, but your spiritual ones as well!!

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

I better be off....I've got to get ready for church. We have a Bible memorization club for kids on Wednesday..so I've got to head out early. I teach 5th/6th grade girls! What a challenge! and what a blessing!!

Oh, by the way....the Prism Weight Loss Program has a web site...just type the title in your search engine and it should come up.

and.....duh to my computer skills....I accidentally hit your highlighted name and saw that you are from Texas! Too cool!

Gotta go for now! dee
Old 12-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #10  
1 Day, 1 Choice @ a time

Thanks Dee!
Yes!..I need those prayers for spiritual restoration. God has been so merciful and loving to me and I am blessed beyond measure. In just this year, since acting in obedience and turning back to Him, I have had such peace restored and know I am on the right path again. It will take time to get back all I had with Him and getting into His word is the starting place. Making that time to be with Him every day. Starting and ending my day with Him. Inviting Him into every area of my life and seeing myself as He does.

I will check out Prism! Thanks! I will be back tonight..gotta get ready for work. I hugged my bed a tad too long this morning! I'm getting back on track with my sleep schedule and will benefit from that I'm sure. the 2:30 wakings and a quick nap before work..wasn't working!

Have a blessed day my friend!
Love in Christ.....Bren
Old 12-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #11  

Hi Brenda!
write: Brrrrrrrr! I can't believe how cold it is! We're not used to that down here!! I love it! Thank you so much for praying for me! I have a victory to share with you.

Yesterday was Day 3...and I've been feeling great! I cannot have any sugar, or white breads, potatoes etc during Phase1 of this program. I am a sugaraholic...and so was fearful that I would be having some major withdrawals...but so far it's been great! Well, I started feeling sluggish in the afternoon...and by the time I was heading home from church...I was STARVING!!! I was ready to eat anything and everything that wasn't locked down!!! I was so afraid for a minute...but I took the time to pray, and when I got home...I looked at my prepared low calorie meal (homemade stew)..and thought....THIS IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT!!! But, oh God was so good, before I knew it, I added some veggies...and different things (counting each calorie of course) wala! ..I had a wonderful meal...and somehow the Lord made it satisfy and even though I could have still raided the kitchen...I didn't! Praise the Lord!!

I really rebelled at the thought of being accountable to someone else for what I eat.....I even told a dear friend before I started this Program...that I want to eat what I want....when I want...and as much as I want w/o being accountable to anyone but myself!!!!
Guess what today's lesson was about...they used those VERY words....EXACTLY....And then asked the question...What has doing what you want....when you want..and as much as you want...done for you? Write it down.....Boy did that break through to my pea-brain!! As I started making my list...of the embarrassing moments of being overweight....the things that I have not been able to do with my son because of my weight....etc, etc, etc...and I listed as many as I could think of......I even started to cry (just a little)....and it hit me....(dumb sheep that I am).....how deceived I've been....
I've been thinking like a child....I guess it's time to grow up (haha) about time!!! Having my own way in regards to eating has almost destroyed me!!
Wow!!!

Thanks for letting me ramble on....I hope this isn't boring you to tears!! Dee's Diet Saga!!! haha....oh well......I pray that you too, are having many victories today!!
I still need to work on finding time for exercise.....maybe I'll make that a mini-goal for next week!
I hope you are having a wonderful day!
Talk @ ya later, dee
Old 12-09-2005, 07:20 AM   #12  
1 Day, 1 Choice @ a time

Good morning Dee!
NO....not boring me to tears....blessing me to them! I have had the same reaction and I am sure many more have! Wanting what we want, when we want and in any amount. My co-worker is still there. We have the same conversation 3-5 times a week and until she (I) get(s) it that WE hold the fork and have the deciding vote on what to eat.....and how.....we will continue repeating patterns that bring about illness, depression and speed our death. Playing into the enemy's hands!

Congratulations on 3 days down! Yes..praise God for the victory....as He is your way maker and provider! That's a wonderful report! Making exercise a mini-goal is a great way to start. It will be awhile before it will be FUN....but it is certainly worth the effort.
I think for me..the fun will come when I can get in the floor comfortably, cross my legs again and make three trips to the car for stuff and still breathe easily after and not need a nap on my off days......I may WANT and take one but not to NEED one would be good! I want more energy for the rest of my days!
I did get a chance to check out Prism's site this morning and hey....it would make me nervous too! LOL! But the one within you is stronger than the one without and will continue to guide you daily! This sounds like a great program and in putting God first in every aspect of your life....you can't fail!

I have some delicious HM soup in my freezer and just in this year have cut my portions. I used to use the 2 cup containers, now use one cup and add a grain or veggies to the bowl as you did with your stew. One thing I learned was that when I eat the good stuff, I crave the bad stuff less. I do love veggies, and use mostly frozen ones, as I am a bit lazy about hackin', dicin', choppin' and slicin'.......as I have no Gallager's veg-o-matic! I got off track at Thanksgiving and have yet to get back on firmly! the past two days have been MUCH better and I know it's due to the prayers in my behalf! Thank you!

I had a great day at work yesterday and actually worked all day. I have a lot of freedom at the office and it's a blessing. We have our tasks each month around the same time and this month will be ending our year, preparing reports etc for the closing and I enjoy that type thing. I will carry over here at home and get my desk area cleaned/organized and prayerfully tear into my closets! Haha! Those tubs full of God knows what.....that I can perhaps bless someone else with, will be done by....say March 1st?

Gotta boogy and get ready for work..have a wonderful, blessed day 4! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.......and thank you for keeping me in yours!
Bren
Old 12-09-2005, 03:44 PM   #13  

Hi Brenda
AMEN to your first paragraph!! I like the phrase..'playing into our enemy's hands!'......I've been thinking about that today...as it was more of a struggle to make the right choices! I actually woke up this morning with the thought of huge slice of chocolate cake w/ icing....I could almost taste it!! and I don't even like icing on my cake!! How ridiculous is that!!! haha.

I made a huge pot of shrimp/fish jambalaya last night....and froze up some individual bags...and have been enjoying the rest today. What kind of grains do you put in your soups? I've been putting fresh salad greens in the bottom of a bowl and then pouring the soup over it....it sounds gross, but it's really delicious!!

I'm so excited, my son and our are going to pick out our Christmas tree (as my husband is out of town) ....and hopefully I will get some decorations up! I hope to everything looking nice by the time he gets back home!

You sound sooooooooooo organized!!! You don't do Flylady by any chance?
I'm an organized wanna-be! haha
I'm glad you had such a great day at work!
Gotta go get chores finished so I can go to town!
Have a great one!! And thanks for the encouragement and prayers! dee
Old 12-10-2005, 07:47 AM   #14  
1 Day, 1 Choice @ a time

Hooray!
It's so good to "meet" someone with like mind and goals and who is such a wonderful encourager! Thank you! I come away blessed each day!

I've done chili on a salad before but haven't tried soup! Your jambalaya sounds good! I've oooh'd and ahhh'd over a bowl of mashed taters with collards mixed in..oh delish! Collards are my favorite greens but I like 'em all.
I am trying to avoid taters right now in my effort to reduce carbs. BUT....I've been on a sandwich kick for two weeks it seems and it's not good for my system at all! So back to the drawing board!
For a grain with my soup I might have a half cup of rice, a hunk of cornbread..shhh...fritos or crackers. I mostly eat it with picante sauce tossed in for some heat and spice! I recently made some jalapeno cheese cornbread that was SO delicious....and will do that agian while off this next week.

I had HM turkey/veggie soup for lunch yesterday with corn muffins, a sandwich.....Sharon's contribution... and a big salad with the last piece of chicken cut up in it, for dinner. Very good..and sneaked in some applesauce so I could say I had a "fruit"!........then.....stuff we won't discuss right now. I'll say there's one piece of pie left. I WILL get the hang of "doing somethin' different" for my wind down time!

YES! FLY lady! Are you familiar with her too! Way cool! I have been so blessed since a pal at another site I play on, reccomended her site! I get the daily reminders...and answer back...where is your laundry? "strewn about the apartment"..where are your shoes..".uhh....under the bed?" Just kidding. I did my laundry at 4:00 AM. We have 3 operating washers for the whole complex so I try to get at it early and it's done! YAY! Like all our tasks.......starting is often the hardest part! I "restart" about three times a month and LOVE coming home to a clean and organized place so have to dive in and do it if I want that! I have enough clutter for 5 people I think!

Exercise: I did something different at the office: I walked to take locks off instead of driving the golf cart. It was really chilly at the front, but not so bad at the back..it was HARD! Other than shopping and cleaning, I don't walk on purpose like I "used" to! Seems I "used" to do a lot of stuff! I am now starting from scratch! Anyway.....the FIRST time was hard, the next two were easier and faster! Hooray! Plus I got in 120 moves on the stepper.
I did up a chart for office workout.....and will implement it TODAY! I work alone weekends and have lots of free time most of 'em.
I work 1/2 days Sunday and go to Church where my boss is music minister and his wife (boss #2) teaches adult Sunday School....she and another lady take turns. I've been playing hooky some, due to my hearing problem..but hey...just being there will benefit me! I thank God for my hearing aids! I know my condition will improve with better care so I'd best be giving it to me! I'll do what I can and trust God to do what I can't!

I'd better boogy........I am long winded some days! Be blessed Dee..have a wonderful time setting up and decorating your tree. I haven't put my things out yet. I'll spend 15 minutes on that this morning! I need more coffee!
Bren
Old 12-10-2005, 01:43 PM   #15  

Hi Brenda!
Ohhhh, the thought of cornbread....and fritos...yummmmmy! haha.
Needless to say those are NOT on the plan for now! haha.

I have always wanted to try collard greens....and never have. I've had turnip greens and mustard greens....but not collards. May have to give it a try soon! I guess God is changing my taste buds. I thawed out some clam soup....and for grins....threw in 1 c. of cooked spinach.....Man was that good! I had to laugh cuz I figured it's God doing something! haha

One of the things that's really amazed me....is portion control!!! At first, when i measured out 1 c. of soup....and looked at my little bowl....my brain was having a major fit.....OF LAUGHTER....yeah right!! That's supposed to fill me up!! Give me a break!! Oh the conversation I was having w/ myself....But go figure, It satisfies!! I've been thinking alot today about how much food I've been eating for years....and whinning because I just can't lose weight!! Well, duh!! I've been eating enough food for 3 people!!! uh...maybe 4! haha

CONGRATULATIONS for at least starting on the path to getting more exercise!! That's great! I'm hoping to start next week...I figured my body would go on major overload if I threw too much at it at once!!

Hey, can you believe I've made it to Day 6!!! Sunday will be my first week!! I never even thought I could go through Day 1! Praise the Lord....and
thank you, too for your encouragement. I enjoy reading your messages every morning!!

Oh the FlyLady. I can actually walk in my back porch thanks to her!! I've 27 fling boogied more stuff than you can imagine!!! I can't receive her emails anymore for some reason. I tried for quite some time then gave up...but still put many of her principles into practice!! What a blessing!!

Well, it's time to end the novel! haha. Young Son is starving! (He's actually 16 now!) ....I pray that you have a wonderful service in the Lord's House tomorrow! I won't be posting tomorrow...so I'll get back w/ you on Monday morning!

Have a great weekend! dee
Closed Thread