Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #1  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Default Counter Top Items

I have had these put away and they need to be set out all the time where I can grab them right away.
My measuring cups and my measuring spoons and my food scale.
They really keep my in check and I had a eye opener today when I went to cook my breakfast and found I was going at least more than triple on my egg beaters when I would pour into the pan to cook my eggs.
Way more than I really needed. I measured and what a diffrence.
For now on my measuring items will be no more than a quick glance away on my counter top.
I was putting my calories into check and stumbled across this slip up.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #2  
Egy Kis Lany

Great idea! My scale's always on my counter... and all of the measuring spoons/cups are just below it in a drawer. It really helps!!
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorticiaAddams
I have had these put away and they need to be set out all the time where I can grab them right away.
My measuring cups and my measuring spoons and my food scale.
Me too! Those measuring cups and that food scale are my best friends

When I have Egg Beaters (actually I just use the all-whites, I don't like Egg Beaters all that much) I measure out exactly 1/2 cup. It makes a perfect amount. Sometimes I just have eggs and milk and sometimes I have the eggs with turkey sausage links or the Morningstar Farms 'veggie' bacon strips.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #4  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
When I have Egg Beaters (actually I just use the all-whites, I don't like Egg Beaters all that much) I.
You know what its time I made the transition to whites to.
I have gone from regular eggs to the beaters and now I should give the whites a go since they are better for ya. So next time im at the grocery store I will get the whites and give them a whirl.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #5  
Egy Kis Lany

Quote:
I have gone from regular eggs to the beaters and now I should give the whites a go since they are better for ya. So next time im at the grocery store I will get the whites and give them a whirl.
You know what? The fake eggs I get don't seem to be worse than the whites. In fact, they have more nutrients than the whites, and only a little more calories!
So maybe you should check the packages before making a switch...
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #6  
Cynical RedHead

I buy either Egg Beaters or All-Whites, whichever is on sale. I cannot tell a difference between them.

I use those unless we are making Eggs Benedict, then i need the yolk!
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #7  

Glad you were able to catch that!! Right now I dont have anywhere to put anything LOL. Basically I'm leaving off sandwiches, easy grabs and microwavable items. I have to go to the upstairs apartment to make salad (I plan to do this some time today.)
numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:47 PM   #8  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

In a similar way I was doing the same thing. Today is the first day that I actually measured how much liquid went into my large coffee mug. It measures 20 oz!!! I was floored. So then I figured out, how much ff coffee creamer goes in....and that tripled also. All those hidden calories....good thing I have just one cup of coffee in the morning!!!
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:12 AM   #9  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

My scale is out all the time too! Weird to see this thread tonight because I was just thinking this morning that while I'm out finishing up my Christmas shopping this weekend, I might pick up an extra set of measuring cups and spoons. Maybe I'm just lazy about washing them right away, but they always seem to get tucked into the dishwasher and then I'm hunting for the right size. I like the cup sets that have ALL the sizes--1/8, 2/3, etc.

I just bought a little Lean Machine Grill this week too--that will probably stay on the counter also (not sure what's gonna move, but something will). All these appliances...I keep remember an old Cosby episode about "Appliance Heaven" because Cliff used to buy whatever the hottest appliance was and then get tired of it and it would join the rest of the super specialized ones under the counter. I just laugh when I see things like...A special fajita maker and such. Dang, somebody with way too much money could have 50 appliances, each one good for one single thing
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:53 AM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
I agree with the others, I don't believe the whites to be any better nutritionally than the Egg Beaters. Give the whites a try just to try them, but if you prefer Egg Beaters, then eat them

I just buy the whites because I love them and prefer them over Egg Beaters. Egg Beaters just has a taste I'm not fond of. But egg whites I love. If I don't have my egg whites in the carton, I'll just bust open a few real eggs and toss out the yolks. I love scrambled egg whites
Old 12-07-2005, 10:51 AM   #11  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

I love egg whites!!! I often poach my eggs and add extra egg white to give them a little more to them. The yolk is where the cholesteral is and the fat for the egg, so if you don't like them,.....don't.
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #12  
LLV

There are pros and cons to egg yolks. While the yolk is where the fat and cholesterol are stored, it's also where most of the vitamins and minerals are at as well. In fact, the yolk is the major source of the egg's vitamins and minerals. Including Vitamin A, Iron, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, B vitamins, etc. Egg yolks are one of the few foods that naturally contain Vitamin D.

Since I watch my fat and choleserol intake, I don't regularly eat egg yolks. But every now and then I'll scrambled up 3 egg whites and leave in 1 yolk for the vitamins. Eating one occasional egg yolk isn't going to affect your blood cholesterol levels
Old 12-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #13  
Mel

Buying plain old eggs and tossing the yolks (though my dog used to love one a day) is a lot cheaper than either eggbeaters or buying the cartons of just-whites. 18 packs are usually on sale somewhere. I go through about 4-5 dozen a week. The only downside tring to find a place in the refrigerator

And once some old geezer behind me in the checkout line thought my egg addiction should be broadcast to the entire store. "Hey laaaaady! Doncha know it's not Easter yet?"

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote