Old 11-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #1  
My inspiration!

S/C/G: 288/288/150

Height: 5'4"

Default What's for dinner?

I need ideas! Something easy -- I am barely keeping up with this super-working-mom-eating healthy-to the gym over lunch-taking care of me, the baby and the hubby gig.

Last night I resorted to low fat grilled cheese on wheat bread, tomato soup and steamed veggies. Oh, and uh, Monday night was scrambeled eggs and low fat turkey sausage and steamed veggies. You can't get more basic than that!

I'm afraid tonight will turn into l.f. peanut butter on triscuits if someone doesn't intervene soon! Ha!

Ha, ha! Anyone want to share!?!?

Lauren
Natalie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:13 PM   #2  

I'm having a tofu & vege stir fry with a tbs of peanut sauce
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #3  
Losing for Life!

Here is a great quick and easy recipe, on the stove in 15 - 20 minutes

Chicken and Black Bean Soup

4 cups of black beans (2 cans drained and rinsed) (12 points)
1 cup each diced carrot, celery and onion (steam these and save 2.5 ounces of the water)
1 28 ounce can tomatos (2.5 points)
5 cups defatted chicken stock or low sodium chicken broth (.5 point)
1 Tbls minced garlic
1 tsp dry basil
1 bay leaf
½ tsp black pepper
1 5.5 ounce can of tomato paste (2.5 points)
2.5 ounces of water
1 pound cooked diced chicken breast (16 points) 4 cups (pick up roasted chicken at the deli)

20 cups @ 33.5 points = 1.675 points per cup

Another favorite meal which I am making tonight is Chicken Salad Sandwiches

I make my husbands with miracle whip as he won't eat 95% fat free hellmans mayonaise.

I buy 4 roasted chicken breasts from the grocery deli and dice them up. I put 4 ounces in a bowl for me and add 1/2 cup each of diced celery and onion. I add salt and pepper to taste and 1/8 of a tsp of nutmeg. for the dressing I use 4 TBLS of 95% FF helmans mayo, 2TBLS of White Balsamic Vinegar and mix them together well and add to the chicken. This makes enough chicken salad for 4 sandwiches. I use WW whole wheat bread and I have 2 sandwiches for only 5 points and I can usually only eat 1 and 1/2 of them so I save the other half for snack later.

I also love chili this time of year and this is a very good recipe that is quick and simple to make.

7 cups black beans rinsed

2 cans low sodium beef broth

4 - 28 ounce cans (3cups per can) tomatos

3 cups diced onion

1 large diced green pepper

2 large cloves garlic, minced

2 pounds (6 cups cooked) extra lean ground beef

1 Tbls olive oil

2 tsp sugar

2 tsp ancho chili powder (more if you like stronger chili flavor)

1 tsp chili powder (more if you like it hotter)

1 tsp cumin

Saute the onions and green peppers and garlic in the Tablespoon of oil until translucent. Set aside. Brown the ground beef in the same pan and place in a large pot. Put the onions, green pepper mixture in a food processor or blender and add some juice from the canned tomatos and blend until fairly smooth. Process the rest of the tomatos until they are blended to a sauce like consistency or leave them as chunky as you like them.

Add to the pot with the meat add the sugar and the spices along with the black beans and the beef broth simmer for 2-5 hours. There is plenty here to freeze for another meal for your family.

total cups = 30.5 cups

total points = 71 divided by 30.5 = 2.32 points per 1 cup serving
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

In my area, Costco has packages of boneless, skinless chicken breasts packaged individually. Those are very handy for a variety of different dishes.
elmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:41 PM   #5  
Opulent

Easy, healthy, affordable meal:

Open a can of beans and drain it (Any kind!) and a can of low-sodium tomatoes and put them in a pot and place over a medium flame. Open up a bag of frozen veggies (Any kind! Corn, peas, mixed veggies, broccoli etc.) and dump as much as you'd like in the pot! Add spices (garlic powder, onion powder, Italian spices etc.) and let warm. Eat and enjoy!
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:29 PM   #6  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I think I'll do the beans when I get home tonight Yogini. This is my vegetarian day so that would hit the spot. Now as for my dinner at work tonight you were close when you said peanut butter and crackers. I had natural peanut butter and blueberry jelly with a banana and apple. Very tasty and very quick. It does not take much to please me.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:41 AM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmay
In my area, Costco has packages of boneless, skinless chicken breasts packaged individually. Those are very handy for a variety of different dishes.
Be careful, they're soaked in brine to make 'em taste good, it can show up on your scale as water weight.

Tonight I had the You Pick Two from Panera. I am absolutely no help, I am sorry.

Maybe pick up a bagged salad @ the grocery store & stop at the fish counter for some fresh, cooked shrimp to go on top of it? W/some French dressing & a hard roll, that is one of my favorite meals.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:18 AM   #8  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Thanks for the tip Yogini. I am eating it now. Made it with peppers, onion, cauliflower and broccoli. Then added all kinds of spices to many to go into detail. I always just throw in the spice rack.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:18 AM   #9  
Opulent

Ypou're welcome, Howie! Glad you like it! It's the easiest, most affordable healthy thing I can think of...you can't go wrong and no "recipe" is needed...just put in things you like and have on hand
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:28 AM   #10  
Downsizing Dee!

I have to have meat or fish every day, so there's never much question there - pork, beef, chicken, salmon, trout, etc. All very fast and easy when you have them individually packaged.

My favourite side dish is stuffed baked tomatoes. They're actually pretty filling in themselves if you want to add rice or something as the side dish with some other steamed veggies.

Stuffed Baked Tomatoes
Halve as many tomatoes as you like
Scoop out the insides (like scooping a pumpkin)
...I keep the "pulp" in a big freezer container and use it when I make tomato sauces.

In a bowl break one whole egg for each whole tomato you cook. Add cheese, mushrooms, a little mustard powder or spices to taste. You can really go wild here. Add anything you want, ham, peppers, onions, bread crumbs....endless possibilities.

Pour mixture into tomatoes and bake uncovered, with a little water in the bottom of your baking dish so they don't burn, @ 350 until eggs are cooked (15-20 mintues).

Enjoy!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #11  
My inspiration!

S/C/G: 288/288/150

Height: 5'4"

Wow -- thanks everyone -- these are all awesome ideas.

I think I am going ot try the cjicken and black bean soup tonight! And then stufed tomatoes will be next!

I am so glad I asked! Yay!
Natalie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote