Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 AM   #1  

Default How to be a morning person

Hi all,

I have gotten into my head that if I could only wake up earlier in the morning, I'd get a lot more done before I go to work thereby freeing up more time to exercise in the evening. The only trouble is that no matter what I do, I can't seem to drag myself out of bed until the last possible moment. I have three alarm clocks (one is set to music, the other is an annoying buzz and the third is out in the hallway so that it wakes the dogs up, too.) I have set a lamp on a timer so that my room is light when I wake up. Still no dice.

I know this is something that is just innate in some people. Apparently, I am not one of those people. Does anyone have any suggestion for how to become one of those people? To all of you early risers -- how do you do it?

TIA,
V
Veerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Go to bed early! I'm generally in bed by 10pm and up at half 6, okay it's not so early, but early for me!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:55 AM   #3  
Haley

I agree with 2frustrated, the earlier I go to bed the easier it is for me to wake up early.
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:04 PM   #4  
Egy Kis Lany

Yes!
Start going to bed sooner.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:45 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Haha, from reading the original post, I would think going to bed earlier sort of defeats the purpose--the idea is to have MORE time in her day. All I can say is, it is very difficult at first, but once you're used to it, it will become second nature. When that alarm goes off in the morning, DO NOT HIT SNOOZE! The first time it goes off, stand up! I used to be able to sleep till noon (or later!), but for months, I have been getting up between 4:30-5am, and now even on the weekends when I can sleep in if I want, I'm usually up by 7:30, 8 at the latest, and feel like I have slept forever!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

I've been getting up early for so long that I can hardly sleep past 8:30. I think the more you get up early, the easier it gets.
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I also am of the no snooze camp. You might also try to ease yourself into getting up earlier. Try getting up just 5 minutes earlier, then 10, 15, 20, until you get to the time you want to rise. HTH
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:26 PM   #8  

I sorta think that dragging yourself out of bed when you are still exhausted is going to defeat the purpose as well. I know I tend to not get much done when I am groggy and tired. Also, I think that people who are tired throughout the day are more likely to succumb to temptation when it comes to food. I've had this happen to me. I find myself dragging at work, and suddenly the lure of a sugar rush from the vending machine becomes almost unresistable.

So, yeah, try easing into waking up eariler as Barbygirl suggests, but not at the expense of actually losing sleep!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:03 PM   #9  

hello,

one thing that helps is to have things all ready for the next day...like have you clothing out, lunch ready....and to have your workout clothing all ready to go...maybe just put it right next to the bed, so its right there

I also have a crazy friend who will turn off her hot water heater so if she wants to shower in the morning she has to go to gym...there is just no other way
yume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:15 PM   #10  
LLV

I've never been a morning person and I never will be. And I'm damn proud of it, too.

lol
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:17 PM   #11  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I would go for going to bed earlier. I know we're looking for creating more time, but I'm focussing on more QUALITY time. So I might be awake for the same amount of time before, but I use it better. So I exercise for an hour in the morning that I would only use for watching tv at night. Of course I could not watch tv in the evening and exercise then, but I know I wouldn't do it. So I forego it, go to bed and get up in the morning. It helps that I have a PVR so I don't miss anything I want to watch on tv though - I just watch it the next evening - and earlier!

Otherwise, for me it's just a question of routine. I've been doing it for so long that I just get up now, without questioning it. One thing that would probably help is getting up early EVERY day. I know it sounds horrible, but keeping the time you get up fairly stable makes it a lot easier to get used to. Eventually, it just becomes the time you get up.

Making things easier for yourself also helps, having things ready. If only because it makes it less likely that you'll get to the gym and realise you don't have any underwear...
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:19 PM   #12  
Egy Kis Lany

Hmm. Another thing that helps me is having someone there who can help me not hit snooze.
So if someone -happens- to sleep next to you, try and get them to help you get up.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:40 PM   #13  
1 day at a time

I have a hard time getting out of bed, even if I've gotten plenty of sleep. This may sound silly (heck, it is pretty silly) but I psych myself up when I go to bed by telling myself that it's gonna be "feet on floor, feet on floor" the minute the alarm clock goes off. I repeat it (to myself, if I said it out loud the BF would really think I've lost it ) several times as I'm going to bed. When the alarm goes off "feet on floor, feet on floor, feet on floor" really kicks in and I'm up and into the bathroom (with the bright light on) before I've had a chance to think about it.
EllyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:10 PM   #14  
LLV

I could never do that, I still can't. My mother had a heck of a time getting me up for school every day and even now I have to literally force myself out of bed. Of course, now, I have no choice. I have to get my son up every day for school.

I'm definitely being paid back, lol.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:11 PM   #15  

UGHH!!! I have the same problem!! I got to work at 1:00 pm everyday, and you know what time my alarm is set for?? 11:30 !! I can never get up earlier! I've tried , but I just can't. I've tried going to bed earlier, and I feel if I could get up a couple hours earlier, I would be much better off. If anyone has any other ideas let me know as well! !
sweetn'crazy is offline   Reply With Quote