Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229

Height: 5'4"

Default GERD or Achalasia

Just wondering if anyone out there has either of these diagnoses and how they deal with dieting and these issues.

Heidi
SWTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

I have Gerd and take prilosec for my symptoms I just "try" and stay away from fatty and spicy foods and caffeine HTH

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #3  

I have GERD, and am taking Prilosec, but find that as I lose weight, I don't have as big of a problem with it as before. Just another reason that I am trying to get my weight down.
DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #4  

Being overweight aggravates GERD. I am on Nexium. I find staying away from sugar; acidic foods like oranges, grapefruit, tomatoes; chocolate; and caffine helps me. I follow WW Core plan with good success.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #5  

I'm on Protonix and I LOVE IT...it's amazing that I didn't notice how bad the problem was until I didn't feel the pain in my throat at night anymore! LOL...
thecatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229

Well it turned out that I had GERD and I had the Lap Nissen Fundoplication surgery on 12/14/05. Things are way better!!! No heartburn, no pills! I can drink coffee without dying.

Life is good!
SWTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #7  
Kyethra

Height: 5'8"

I have severe GERD. I was born with it! But luckily I can keep it controlled pretty well with pills and lifestyle stuff.

I take nexium everyday. Also, no coffee! Or other foods like spicey stuff. And no mint either- it just loosens the esophogeal valve. Don't eat before bed. Raise the end of the bed up.

I also take reglan and zantac as needed. I find that keeping the GERD under controll helps me to lose weight. If it is flaring up I tend to nibble constantly because for me that helps with the acid, but after a while it turns on me so I need to eat again and it becomes this cycle. So its important to keep the reflux under control and be able to comfortably have an empty tummy for me.

Another awesome thing is ginger. Ginger is great for the stomach. Ginger tea rocks. You can drink it all the time- add splenda if you crave sweetness. Healthy and fluids- what more can ya ask for?
kyethra is offline   Reply With Quote