Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 09:52 PM   #1  

Thumbs down Hello to OAers

Hi ! Any fellow people in OA out there? I would love to hear from you. You can write me at [email protected]
Hope to hear from you. coolSue
Old 08-04-2001, 04:11 PM   #2  

Angry OA

Hi sue! I'm new to the message boards and was excited to see an OA member I like the program I would just like to do it a little different for myself. The meals I keep the same because they are the true key to weigh loss and feeling better Are you still in OA?
Old 08-12-2001, 09:25 AM   #3  

Default Hello from fellow OA

Hey there!

My name is Susie T. and I am a grateful recovering compulsive overeater from Maryland.

I've been in Program since September 1993 and am finding emotional, spiritual and physical recovery one day at a time.

I read the last post from Amy (one of the 3FC's) and am praying that she finds OA soon.

We know we cannot control our eating and that only a Power Greater than ourselves can. Amy, if you are reading this, please open up your telephone book white pages and call the phone number over Overeaters Anonymous.

There is a room full of compulsive overeaters waiting there for you to give you the love that you can never find in food.

God bless you all!!

Susie T.
Old 08-18-2001, 05:41 AM   #4  

Hi everyone,

I've just registered today, and I've read the message from Susie T and it was inspiring for me.

I have struggled for years on diets, and accepting I'm a 'compulsive eater' has been very difficult. I am really struggling to control my eating at the moment, although I lost 3 stone (42lbs) last year, 18lb of which has crept back on. I dont want to end up like I was.

It is great to know about this site, and I hope to get (and give) support and friendship.

Susie T's comments about being helped spiritually, and finding love in ways other than with food, really touched a nerve. It has made me feel less 'alone', and enhanced my own beliefs in divine help.

Thanks for a great introduction to OEA.

love & light,

Tiddler
Old 08-19-2001, 08:39 AM   #5  

Welcome Tiddler!

I'm so glad this site has inspired you. Remember, you are not alone anymore! You have the support you need in the OA meetings. You can get hugs from your Higher Power thru the members. This is a 'we' program - it is not longer up to me to control my food. I have to turn it over daily to HP and trust everything will be ok - and it is, as long as I try to God's will one day at a time.

Keep coming back, it works if you work it and give alot of love and service and hugs.

Susie T.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:12 PM   #6  

Angry Hello

Hi all!

Glad to see I'm not the only one here! I'm planning on attending my first OA meeting tomorrow morning. I was wondering if any of you could tell me what I can expect. I'm a little nervous. I haven't even told my husband that I'm going yet.

Hope to see you all around here.

Angie
Old 08-27-2001, 05:32 PM   #7  

Good luck Angie on your first meeting. It's Monday and I think your first meeting was this past Saturday. I hope you made it and found acceptance there. I'm looking forward to hearing how it went for you. We tell our newcomers to try at least 6 meetings before deciding if OA is for them. I hope you will do the same. Hugs!
Susie T.
Old 08-28-2001, 11:10 PM   #8  

Thumbs down Your first meeting

Wow, going to your first meeting is exciting and scary at the same time. After my first meeting, I knew that I beloned at those meetings. Just be patient with yourself. There is a lot to learn and it takes time. If you don't like one particular meeting, try another if it is available to you. Just keep going and eventually you will begin to understand what OA is all about!
The best thing I ever learned is to take life "One day at a time"and to eat 3 meals a day with notheing in between but LIFE !
Gotta go for now! Will write back later. SUE
Old 08-28-2001, 11:13 PM   #9  

Thumbs down Your first meeting

Wow, going to your first meeting is exciting and scary at the same time. After my first meeting, I knew that I beloned at those meetings. Just be patient with yourself. There is a lot to learn and it takes time. If you don't like one particular meeting, try another if it is available to you. Just keep going and eventually you will begin to understand what OA is all about!
The best thing I ever learned is to take life "One day at a time"and to eat 3 meals a day with nothing in between but LIFE !
Gotta go for now! Will write back later. SUE
Old 09-03-2001, 02:03 PM   #10  

Default May I join you??

Hello everyone!
May I join your group? I joined OA last week. Next meeting is tomorrow eve. While I was terrified and 15 minutes late for the meeting (finding excuses not to go), I felt at home and feel that it is exactly what I need. I Definately need to turn to God for my stress and emotions and I Definately can't do anything on my own. I am a Christian so I have no difficulty with my Higher Power. I was impressed that I didn't have to weigh in and hide my face away from the scorn and disgust with my gaining .5 pounds. Ran into that somewhere else!!
Lois
Old 09-03-2001, 06:36 PM   #11  

Default Welcome Lois

Congratulations on joining OA! I hope you have a good meeting tomorrow. My next meeting isn't until Wednesday night. I usually go Saturday morning and Wednesday night and if I'm needing a meeting between I'll catch either Friday or Sunday night too.

I'm glad you like the fact that we have no scales at our meetings. How can a scale measure the fact that we didn't eat dessert after a dinner out with friends or passed on the birthday cake at work!

I'm a Christian too and OA has helped enrich and clarify my relationship with Jesus (Higher Power).

I hope everyone enjoyed a successful Labor Day holiday without extra food or guilt. I spent my day with friends and family. It started out with a quiet breakfast with my husband, then watching my 2 month old grandson while my husband and our daughter went out for coffee and 'coffee talk' then we rode our motorcycles with 4 other bikes all over Pennsylvania - 155 miles total from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. I'm pooped! But I will remember HALT - don't get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Right now I'm tired but I won't eat over it.

I'm grateful to have this message board so I can keep honest with my food and feelings and stay on the OA beam!

Hugs!

Susie T.
Frederick, Maryland
Old 09-03-2001, 07:13 PM   #12  

That was a lovely encouraging post, Susie T.! Thankyou!
I am amazed that at 56 years old, being raised in and living for the Lord all these years that I am so weak and stupid that I dkdn't seek His help through this long ago. Maybe I feel so poorly about myself that I thought Christ would forget me too....no I know better than that. I am grateful that the meeting makes me look for answers where I should be looking!
Keep drinking water, eating properly and exercisng some, for your health's sake! Pray and give thanks to our Maker and Provider and look to Him for all our needs!
Lois
Old 09-03-2001, 10:49 PM   #13  

Default God is the answer

God is truly the only way to find relief from compulsive overeating. The key to a successful program is trusting in him and letting go and letting him take charge of your eating. I am also a Christian women and my faith is so very important to me. I would like to start an e-mail group of christian women in OA. If you are interested in being a part of this group please e-mail me at [email protected]
The goal of this group would be to offer support to each other from a christian point of view. We can share all kinds of ideas, hopes,desires,struggles,defeats,successes,dreams etc....
It doesn't matter how old you are. If you have a problem with food and would like to corresond with other christian women then send me an e-mail. Your sister in Christ and in OA, SUE
Old 09-04-2001, 05:00 PM   #14  

Default Sign me up!

Hi Sue!

Please sign me up for your e-mail loop for Christian OAers. I can use all the support I can get.

Susie T.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:00 PM   #15  

Hello ladies and gents( if there are gents present) I'm not sure if there are men in the OA group or not but I certainly greet you, if you are with us!

Discovered a secret: Am in a stressful job and can easily be reduced to tears just at the thought of going to work these days. Don't misunderstand me, I love the work and I am blessed to have this job, but it is very stressful. I shut the office door on arrival and pray for guidance throughout the day and then before I leave, I close the door again and give thanks and turn the worries of the job over to the Lord for the evening. It makes the load so much lighter and the desire to find comfort in food is gone.
Now, I have to stick with it!!
2nd OA meeting tonight and I'm looking forward to it. Am down 11 pounds...took about 3 and 1/2 weeks though. Forward Ho....!!
I know why a lot of Directors of Nursing are overweight...they never get out of their offices! I moved out of the office 4 times only today. Spent much of the time on the phone, and dealing with relatives in meetings.
Stress and I are enemys!!
Lois
Closed Thread