Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:58 PM   #1  
Scale Addict

Question suspected hypothyroid

I have all the classic signs of hypothyroid.

I'm sure this is why I've been gaining weight while dieting. I just don't have good enough medical coverage to go to the doctor until after the first of the year.

Are there any decent supplements that could help me until then? Or things to avoid eating, or things to eat. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
modemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:49 PM   #2  
Determined

Unfortunately no supplement can replace the hormone that is missing if you have hypothyroid. My suggestion would be to call a few local doctors and ask how much they would charge you for a basic office visit and blood test. I have hypothyroid and have to get my levels checked every 6 months. I have insurance but my statement breaks down what it would cost without. If I'm remembering correctly, for my area, a doctors visit is 60, the labwork is about 60 and the medication is 20. So for 140 you could have an answer and meds, if you need them. I would suggest that you save up that, if possible and go ahead and go. That way you at least know what you're dealing with. Good luck!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/167/135

Height: 5'1

Hi there! I have hypothyroidism also. I agree - I don't think there are any supplements or things to avoid. You should get tested as soon as you can.
Good luck!!

carafre
carafre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #4  

Default A road I know well.

Hi, I am hypothyroid and I can tell you it is an uphill battle. First if you can not go to the Dr. and I understand that being a single mom with no insurance, I would suggest trying cold press virgin coconut oil, I have heard it helps and I just bought some myself.
Somethings in particular interfer with thyroid Goitrogens can disable the thyroid by blocking the body's ability to use iodine this includes broccoli, cabbage, soy products, mustard, turnips, cauliflower, brussel spouts and a few others.
Also I have been told that the flouride in toothpaste and tap water can interfer with thyroid functions. Floouride is used to treat Hyperthyroid so it is a bad thing is someone who is Hypo.

The battle with thyroid can be a long hard road so if you suspect thyroid is causing your problems try to educate your self before you see your Dr.

I will not bore you with my nightmare story but please educate yourself on what normal thyroid levels should be. The medications used to treat thyroid. What you should and should not eat. about.com has a site for hypothyroid and it is wonderful.
Kookie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote