Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #1  
Average White Girl

Default Arrghh! The questions that plague us all

I have no idea if this is truly the right place for this thread, but when I saw the "support", it's what I want.

First, I'd like to say that when I look at everyone's pictures, both before and after, you are all very beautiful people, and by most of what is said, beautiful both inside and out.

I guess I'm not feeling that way myself. I look in teh mirror, and I"m fine from my toes to my knees and from my waist to me head, but not my saddle bags. Who knew something could be wider than my hips?

I used to do WW, but I just can't stick with it anymore. I try, but it only lasts a day or so, then I fall off the wagon, get depressed, ect, gain weight... I think all the crap I've been eating has caused me to have this insatiable sugar craving, kind of like the more you eat the more you want...I feel so lost right now. There are advocates of every diet known to man. I am looking for one that's easy to follow that doesn't eliminate major food groups...I'm thinking of calorie counting,or sugar busters but even that seems so daunting right now.

Also, I feel like I'm putting way too much emphasis on weight and how I look. I want this to be a journey, not something that I allow to define me. I'm one of those people who can give great advice, but I stink as far as taking it myself. So, I'm not sure..I"m kind of taking a break and floating for now, with thanksgiving and stuff...not going on a mad binge, just holding back.

Now, I"m normally not so melancholy. I'm just depressed and frusterated. My question is what has worked for all of you? Have you found something that just seems ;like the answer to you? I know it differs from person to person, but that's what this board is for, to share ideas... WW worked for me. I had lost 75 lbs on it at one time, but I just am having such trouble sticking to it. I'm half way thinking about trying something new, to shake it up a bit, and to renew my interest and commitment, or just sticking my nose to the grindstone. I"d like to add that WW meetings are not an option for me as they do not fit into my schedule and I am not financiallly able to budget for them....that, and I get more motivation and help on this board than at the meetings....

Thanks so much for hearing me out, you all rock!
alteaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Alteaon -- you know you're going to get all kinds of advice, and, a lot of it might differ since, as you said, what works differs from person to person.

You seem overwhelmed. Who wouldn't be? My advice right now would be to find one thing to focus on and do that -- even over the holidays! It might be making sure you exercise some every day, or just that you pay close attention to your portions, or that you eat a lot of veggies, or cut out soda... whatever you think is do-able NOW. Just one thing.

Then keep reading here about different plans. Don't be afraid to try out some different ones-- ask lots of questions! The point is to find something that works for you! But you don't have to decide that before you start doing something.

I think the best thing you can do is to make a commitment to yourself that this journey IS worth it.

So, let's see what everyone else says!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #3  
Cynical RedHead

Alteaon, at 5'7" and 160 pounds, you probably don't *need* to get down to 135. Now, I am not saying you shouldn't, but I am 3 inches shorter than you, and my goal weight is 130 (which puts me in a size 6).

What you may want to try for a while is weight-lifting plus cardio rather than dieting per se. This is HUGELY hypocritical of me, because I hate weight-lifting, but it really does help define and tone what you already have going on. It won't specifically get rid of saddle-bags, but it will strengthen and tone your entire body, which means your legs will be lovely as a part of that. I am sure some other people will be along shortly to extol the virtues of weight-lifting as well

As far as looking for a diet that doesn't eliminate major food groups, it is called sensible eating. Just watch your intake and eat lots of fruit and veggies. That way you don't have to worry about staying on plan or any of those hassles.

Good luck! and remember, we are all here for you!
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #4  

I agree about picking one small, tangible goal for getting thru a high stress time. Drinking a certain amount of water can be good. If it's already cold in Wisconsin,(home of my alma mater, UW-Madison!), you might want to borrow fitness DVDs from your library. I like the Target series for stability ball. A stability ball is about $10 at Target and pretty easy to use.

Good luck on the journey.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:35 PM   #5  
Movin on down the scale

I agree also...pick one thing that you can change and work on that...beit, more water, more vegi's, less candy, ect....you only NEED to work on one thing at a time, as you have added bad eating habits slowly you need to change back to good habits slowly. It took time to put the weight on, it will take time to take it off.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:42 PM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteaon
I am looking for one that's easy to follow that doesn't eliminate major food groups...
Hon, the best thing to do is forget about diets completely and just make permanent changes you can live with.

I used to diet. That's how I got fat

I just keep track of calories and eat very little fat. It takes a while to find your own balance, but once you do, you have experience that will last you a lifetime.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 PM   #7  

There is lots of good advice here! I agree you probably don't need to loose that much more weight.

One thing that caught my eye is your sugar cravings. I use to have the same problem. There are a few diets that can help. I follow the Zone plan which has you eat low glycemic carbs. Keeping my bodies blood sugar stable has really helped to reduce sugar cravings!

Good luck!
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:20 PM   #8  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

One Diet plan is just not a good way to go.
Now some people can do this, some people have the ability to stay the course. But then theres some of us that we need variety and change and thats kind of where I fall in. I dont follow one specfic diet plan, I take a idea from many diffrent plans and incorporate what works for me.
What anyone can tell you is theres two things you have to do to lose the weight and thats it. These are the two major things you need to do in order to lose weight.

And its this Eat Less Move More.
Simple right. Journal what your eating for two weeks or so. You will see portion sizes is what gets alot of us and the amount we actually consume.

And basically if your not being honest with yourself and making sure your working out for at least 4 days out of the week then thats a good place to start.
We all have these thoughts or have at one time. Its understandable. This is a long journey, but when you get to where your going its one that will make you so proud of yourself.

Be honest and hold yourself accountable. No one else can do this except you. and most of all love yourself enough to push away things that you know deep down that you should not be eating. Because we need to love ourself to be able to also take care of ourself.
You have the ability to do this. When you really want to it can happen. The determination we have within ourselves is amazing.
Let this happen and let yourself be happy.
Because when you beat yourself down you are digging the hole deeper and deeper and deeper and before you know it your buried and you dont want to be there I know its not a good feeling.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #9  
Egy Kis Lany

I agree with what people are saying -- try changing just one thing at a time for about 2 weeks, then add on another. It will take a while, but the changes will become habits and will stick with you.
If you want a 'plan' to help you with this concept (I know it's hard to do without structure, at least it is for me!!) try www.changeone.com . Wonderful.

Another thing you might want to try is to just start recording down everything you eat. You don't need to worry about reducing it quite yet, but just getting in the habit of being accountable for what you eat and really -knowing- everything you eat might help steer you away from things you eat 'just becasue' without really noticing it. It helped me, that's for sure. Try www.fitday.com for a free online counter.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:14 PM   #10