Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-22-2005, 05:18 PM   #1  

Smile Hello all

Hello. I am 23 years old, 5'1 and 205 pounds. Disgusting, I know. Growing up I was always a little overweight but since I started being anemic, I gained much more weight then I ever had. I don't overeat, in fact I only eat about 2 normal meals a day. I dont feel or look like I weigh that much but the scales don't lie. I have crashed dieted, did the Atkins thing, but the essential ingredient that always seemed to be missing was the right kind of motivation. I was always dieting because of what other people thought and how they would percieve me. Now, I just want to feel and look healthy and be able to run around with my little brother without getting tired. I've had enough and I refuse to allow myself to get any bigger.

After looking online and seriously considering many plans, I have decided to go with the low (bad) carb, low saturated fats approach along with excersise. I guess I am joining these forums because being able to talk with other people that are going through the same thing as me is wonderful. All of my family is skinny and can eat anything.

I could really use the support from someone who actually understands. : I don't want to cry myself to sleep anymore because I hate the way clothes look on me. I feel like a thin person trapped in a overweight persons body and I just want out.

Thanks for reading this.
~Vanessa

Oh, I'm not beginning this until after Thanksgiving because a Thanksgiving with no carbs is like.... Chocolate Milk without the chocolate. The whole point is gone! hehe. I won't overdo it though.
Vanessa_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #2  

You'll love it here. I do my own programme of low GI carbs, lots of fruit and veggies and good sources of protein. It's worked for me so far, I was 262lbs at the beginning of the year, and am now somewhere around 209lbs.

One of the biggest changes I made was to eat more regularly. You'll find especially if you add exercise, that 2 meals a day won't cut it. You need to fuel your body regularly in order to keep your metabolism ticking over, and if your hungry all the time, you won't want to exercise!

My other big tip is don't do this because you hate yourself, do it because you love yourself and you want to be the best you that you can be. It's so much easier if you are not despising yourself.

And good idea to let day pass first!! We don't do Thanksgiving in England, but I have bought a small turkey breast for thursday so we can have a mini thanksgiving!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Vanessa.... I feel your pain, girl...been there myself. (Still go there some days)

For starters - 205 pounds is NOT "disgusting". Obviously you are overweight, but that does not make you disgusting. Ask anyone who loves you what is beautiful about you and I bet they come up with a long list of attributes. So quit being so down on yourself.

Ok - enuf talking like I'm yer mom... Why wait until after Thanksgiving on the exercise? No time like the present, I say. Hmmm... I still prolly sound like your mom... Do you have a plan as to what kind of exercise? Walking/Workout videos/Gym/or what? Pretty much anything you do is good, as long as you are consistent with keeping moving. Pick something you can enjoy.

Good for you doing your research and finding the plan that feels like it will work for you. That proves you are motivated! I also think your attitude and reasons for wanting to change are quite healthy. If you haven't found it already the link to the low carb forums is here.

I don't know much about low carb so I can't help you much there...(I count calories).

I just want you to know you are not alone...we are all here for you!!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #4  

Thank you both for replying. It means so much

It's nice to finally have people give me advice that actually know and understand what I'm going through!

Oh, and I don't know what kind of exercise routine I should adapt. Do you have any suggestions for targeting stomach/back and upper arms? I don't need to lose any weight on my lower body, just the upper.
Vanessa_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:57 PM   #5  

You can't spot reduce, unfortuantely. You can't just lose eight off your upper and not your lower, it doesn't work like that!

I would suggest a combination of cardio, whether it be fast walking, swimming, or stuff at the gym like epliptical, stairclimber, rower and treadmill, and weight training. You would look a bit funny if you were just working your upper body and not your lower, you would end up looking toned on the top half and not the bottom!

I go to the cheapest gym in town, they have great staff, who give free training sessions, I have one every eight weeks to get my programme changed.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

kykaree is right - you can't just work out parts of you...she's also spot on with her advice on a combo pack of cardio and weight training. The cardio is great for burning calories, and the weight training will tone everything for when the fat has come off. Check out the ladies who lift forum for great tips from real trainers. There are moderators there (Mel and Meg & Ilene, for starters - not to mention all the people who post) who are brilliant! Check out the stickys at the top to begin.

Other sources of info - I'm doing the workouts from Winning by Losing by Jillian Michaels (from the show the Biggest Loser). I also went to the library and got Weightlifting for Dummies - it was very informative.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote