Old 11-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #1  
Big Ol' loser

Default Motivation needed...

anything...

slippery slope and I'm going down the hill fast!!
goalnorolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I wrote myself a letter for times when I feel like this. I haven't needed it yet, but you might be able to use it as inspiration.

-------------------------------------------
Well, hey there Future Self!!

You did it, didn’t you? You’ve ditched the plan and fallen off the wagon, haven’t you? You’ve maybe gained back some (a lot?!) of the weight you lost, and you’re feeling out of control right now. You can’t help but war with yourself over the food you feel you shouldn’t have, and you quit exercising. Or worse, maybe you’ve just totally given up, again. In fact, I know you pretty well, and I bet you’re feeling kinda sorry for yourself huh? Poor thing…

But that attitude will get you nowhere. QUIT IT!!!!!

You. Can. Do. This!

I want you to think back to why you started this whole journey in the first place. Recall, if you will:
• You weighed just under 300 pounds by your scale, and probably over 300 on any other scale. That’s a lot of you!
• You had a bad fall and were in a lot of pain and had trouble moving – do you want your weight keep you in stiffness and pain?
• What about your dad and his diabetes? Your MIL and her back? What about not being able to stand up from the floor with any kind of grace whatsoever because of your weight? What about just feeling like a hippo all the time?
• What about being able to do the things you want to do and buy the clothes you want to buy? Remember the great feeling of shopping in your closet? Don't you want to shop in normal stores? Take trips without worrying about flights and seat sizes and accomodations?
• And while we’re at it, let’s talk about food. I know you think that those Cheetos and Fritos and especially that Ice Cream and Macaroni and Cheese give you comfort, but they don’t. No one’s saying you can’t have them – you will have to moderate them. And believe me when I tell you that you LOVE fruit! And yummy veggies, and Kashi bars!!! You’re not giving up foods you love, you’re finding new food friends. And I bet you miss that feeling of control you had about those trigger foods too. Remember: you could walk away from the candy on the secretary’s desk EVERY DAY!
• And exercise! You didn’t always like starting, but you really liked walking to the music, releasing some stress, feeling what you body could do!
• Oh, and what about how you feel at the end of the day? Are you tired? Taking naps again? Well, when you ate better, you didn’t get so many low blood sugar dips!! You can be that way again!
• You’ve been in control of your health before and loved it! You can love it again!

Okay, I know, it’s not so easy. The problem is you think it’s all insurmountable. Something little happened, and you got off track, and then something else, and then it snowballed and pretty soon there went all the good habits right out the window. I know all about it, because it’s happened before!

So, how can you get it back? Baby steps! Remember?
• If you’ve stopped journaling your food – get back to it ASAP! Remember how it helped you learn good habits? And quickly! Get back to counting calories and fats and all. It’s easy and you actually liked it!!
• Take back your attitude about food. Keep asking yourself: is this worth it to me in the long run? Sometimes the answer will be yes, but often it will be no, and you’ll feel proud of yourself when you resist!
• And get moving again. You may not love it all the time, but it helps you so much!!
• Remember, you don’t have to make changes all at once. Gradually build in more healthy behaviors. But don’t wait for some mythical “better” time in the future. Take control now!
• Finally, go back to reading 3fc! You were inspired by those stories, and talking about your story helped keep you going too! There’s support there for you.

Remember your pledge to yourself: to be healthier at 50 than you were at 39 (or the fast approaching 40). That’s what’s important, not the taste of that food or the TV shows you're probably watching too much of.

And you can do it. I, more than anyone else, know you can!! It's easy: Eat Less. Move More.

Good luck!
Sincerely,
Your healthier and thinning past self.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Liz--plan to eat your next meal as on OP meal. I know you do WW so whatever you usually plan point-wise for your next meal plan to eat only those amounts of points for it. You can do it. After you get that one OP meal out of the way plan on making the next meal OP. Try to take this one meal at a time at this point until you stop feeling like it's hopeless and you are lost. One meal is a whole lot easier to see than all of those coming up. Just plan to be OP for the next one meal.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #4  
.::Princess::.

S/C/G: 308/288/150

Height: 5'8"

I can completely relate to being off track and needing motivation but it comes down to this... the only person who can 100% motivate you is YOU. Therefore the only person you have to answer to is you. Something that motivates me is this... Do I really want to let myself down? I don't want to prove to myself that I can't succeed. And remember, it's a life change. There's good days and bad days. The key is to have more good days than bad. You can do it!
SnShn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:19 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

You can stop now. You don't have to complete the day Off P. You can say "Alright so I have gone Off P for the begining of this day, but I will darn well finish it up with dignity." One morning or evening of being "bad" does not have to ruin the rest of the day!!! Keep in there!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #6  
Big Ol' loser

Thank you guys! I was feeling like I hit a 'fork' in the road and I was about to take the wrong turn.

I really like the letter idea. I need to remind myself of everything I've said already...
I did pretty good on saturday morning, saturday night we were going over to my aunt in laws house. I thought for a little wine and just talking...turns out they wanted to cook us dinner. She doesn't know about weight watchers and she made chicken fried steak. I took the smallest piece, ate a ton of salad, avoided the bread and then she put almost 1/2 cup of butter in the corn and green beans. I took tiny bits of those maybe 2 tbsp of each vege drained as much as possible. Anyway I did pretty good, drank my wine too. I have my 30 +35 today so I try to use it.

So Sunday I was on plan all day, little blah from the wine so decided wouldn't goto the gym, developed a migraine but still ate on plan. Today at work we had a goody day for my boss's bday. It was mexican food. I planned on having the cake and little bits of everything. I ate more today than I have in a long time. I normally watch my portions today?? nope it wouldn't have been that bad because I had chicken enchiladas and it was a heaping serving spoon full, with spanish rice and some taco salad. Not too bad. but then I got chips and queso and a flour tortilla. I drank water 3/4 of my day. I didn't eat breakfast because we ate pretty early. Tonight I came home after work and I drank a diet coke and ate a sandwich- low fat ham and cheese.
Last night I told dh I wanted to go to the gym after work and then he ended up going to walmart to wait in the xbox 360 line since 5 p.m.

I am going to the gym in the a.m. to do the yoga pilates. Since i seem to have social anxiety wish me luck!!
goalnorolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

sounds like in all that you only had one bad day. Everyone has em. In fact, look at how WELL you did on Saturday with so little opportunity to control what you ate! (I actually had a similar experience on Sat -- didn't realize that the card game we were going to was dinner first! oops. And like you, I resisted a lot but probably ate more than I should...). Congratulate yourself for all you did RIGHT!

Remind yourself why this is important, learn, perhaps, how you could do better in some situations in the future, chalk the others up to whatever, and get over to that gym tomorrow for pilates!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:53 AM   #8  
One pound at a time...

Okay, Liz, here comes the motivation! YOU CAN DO THIS! I know when I lose my way, I will check out the boards as there are some great success stories. As well, there are lots of people going through the same thing at the moment. I know when I lose track, especially if I am on a designed program (i.e. WW, Jenny Craig) I re read all of the material that I received when I first joined. Sort of place my mind set back to when I first joined up. I find when I do that, I can re capture the excitement I started out with. Remember, we all have bad days, and it is life change, and you will definately have the ups and downs. Everyone has made great suggestions, take it one meal at a time, and you will find you will get back into the good habits again. I copied this small article about forming good habits. I actually think this applied to studying , but I think it could be applied here as well:

Article

Ever begin doing something that you do for a few days, and then simply stop doing it?

For example, let's say you promised yourself that you were going to file papers immediately before they got out of hand, but then something else came up, and the next thing you knew, you had another pile of papers that needed to be filed.

Or perhaps, on January 1 you made a vow to yourself to exercise for 20 minutes every day. You exercised for a few days. But then, by January 5, you gave up.

This happens to everyone on one occasion or another. But, you really can start getting things done!

Next time you really want to do something, and you want to actually start and continue doing it, realize that doing it for one, two, or even three days in a row is usually not enough.

It takes at least 21 days to form a habit. This means that you have to do something at least 21 times before it begins to become part of your everyday routine. So . . .

Decide exactly what you want to do. Write it down and post it where you can see it every day, like your bathroom mirror. Be as specific as possible.

Schedule time to do what you want to do. Again, it takes 21 days to form a habit, so schedule at least 21 days on your calendar and don't let anything get in the way of your schedule. If you miss one of your scheduled days, it's best to start over and schedule another 21 days. You must be consistent and dedicated to doing what you want to do.

Once you reach your 21 days, congratulations! Don't stop now though, schedule another 21 days, and then another and so on, until you do those things you want to do, without even thinking about them . . . like brushing your teeth.

I like the idea of scheduling 21 days, I may take that approach to deal with the Christmas season.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote