Old 11-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #1  
Losin It For GOOD!

Default Think about it.

My Two thoughts for Today:

#1. Just because the carton says 1/2 the calories does not mean that you can eat twice as much.

#2. They say that drinking lots of water helps promote weight loss, increases your metabolism, helps your cells to effectively burn fat, etc. On my 6th trip to the bathroom in the last hour, I began to wonder. Is it that water promotes weight loss? Or that all the trips to the bathroom are making you exercise more which helps with weight loss? Feel free to discuss.
BA99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #2  

Last edited by Inca's Momma; 11-22-2005 at 03:57 AM.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #3  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Thank you for that article. I see now that although I was definitely drinking a lot more water than I used to, I still haven't been drinking enough. Gotta go out and get some more.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #4  
Losin It For GOOD!

I know drinking water is important. It was sort of a tongue-in-cheek question
Old 11-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Talking Good thread, BA!!

My 2 thoughts:

The goodness & nutrition of fresh carrots does not cancel out the 15 grams of fat in the dip that comes with them.

Broken cookies are just as much calories as whole ones. Breaking them does not cause the calories to "leak out".
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for posting that article. I'd actually be interested in the research behind it (none is mentioned). Does anyone know of any?

And, since we opened it up for discussion.... I hope there aren't a plague of locusts on my head for this statement, but from what I understand, there really isn't any research showing that people need to drink 8 glasses of water a day to maintain health. It's a statement that people don't really know the origins of (though there are some guesses). So I'm skeptical of info that makes additional claims as well.

Just to clarify: I'm NOT a medical doctor and I'm NOT saying you shouldn't drink a lot of water, or that it isn't helpful in other ways, but just that the "eight 8-oz glasses of water" statement seems not to be based on any research evidence, but is accepted as fact anyway.

In addition, what we DO know suggests that you can get your water in many forms, including foods we eat (esp fruit) and other beverages, even caffeinated ones.

For more info see:
http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h...02_water.shtml

[Summarizes a research article that investigates the claim -- at the bottom is a link to the actual published article]

I'd be interested in others' thoughts!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:45 PM   #7  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

there has been tons of debate over the water issue particularly over the past few years. My own philosophy is to drink when you feel like you need to have a drink. Most people rebel against counting every little thing that goes in their mouth and that includes water. If I have a glass of water with each meal and a glass in the mid morning and mid afternoon and I'm probably drinking other things as well ie milk so that probably makes up enough fluid for me.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #8  
Losin It For GOOD!

THANK YOU SAPF for actually catching on to the point of my thread (although discussion about things like water is also important!)
Old 11-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #9  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Beth Anne, does that mean that just because the Oreos say Reduced Fat, I can't eat the whole package? Whoops...
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:03 AM   #10  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA99TJ
THANK YOU SAPF for actually catching on to the point of my thread (although discussion about things like water is also important!)
You are welcome! I am actually on liquid restriction, so the water debate doesn't apply to me.

So instead, another gem:

Low-fat, Low-calorie, healthy frozen entrees ON SALE are a great deal--but not if all the flavors they have left by the time YOU get to the store are yucky ones.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:20 AM   #11  

Smile

Two little known facts about calories:

1- When you eat standing up at the sink or fridge, those calories don't count.

2- When you drink a diet soda with your high-cal meal, the drink cancels out the rest of the meal.

Thanks BethAnne for a fun thread!
terrific pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:27 AM   #12  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

One teaspoon of full-fat, full-flavor salad dressing is MUCH BETTER than two tablespoons of reduced-fat, chemical-tasting dressing that ends up ruining the salad.

Just because you paid for it doesn't mean you don't have to eat the whole thing. If you buy a sandwich, and you find you don't like it... STOP EATING IT. It's not a waste of money. The money is already spent. The food will either fill the garbage can or fill your thighs out more. Either way, it's garbage. Throw it out!!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I'm cackling away at my computer reading these (I like the diet soda with the high cal meal, my brother used to drink non-fat milk with oreos).

mini-bite-size isn't Norwegian for too small to have very many calories, eat as many as you want.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote