Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-14-2005, 07:51 PM   #1  
Movin on down the scale

Thumbs down Need help/advice/support!!!

Ok, here's the deal, I *had* motivation coming out my ears for months...and I still have LOTS of it, but the thing is I am getting discusted (sp). I have been teetering between 182-185 for 3 weeks. I can not get over this. I am on a strickt 1200 calorie/day diet..I have a VERY low metabolism. I am pretty active and water I drink about 90-100 oz per day. I have ordered protein powder to give me a protein boost, figured that will really help...but it isnt here yet. Is there anything I can do before it comes that will get my scale moving in the downward direction again? I am getting mad about this since I am soooo careful about eating now. Whenever I can not eat at home I literally only eat about 1/4 of what is on my plate because I am not sure of the calories in other peoples/or restaurant food. PLEASE give me some ideas of what I can do. I dont drink pop/diet pop/crystal light/coffee/tea (well green tea) but my primary source is plain ol' water. What can I do???
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #2  
Meg

What are you doing for exercise?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:54 PM   #3  
Movin on down the scale

I walk and do stairs whenever possible...I have some medical probs (physically) that keeps me from doing too much, but I do try to do crunches/floor type stuff besides walking/stairs
Old 11-14-2005, 08:07 PM   #4  
Meg

That's rotten luck about your medical problems because I really think that exercise is what would kick your weight loss into gear again. Studies show that it's very difficult to lose weight - and keep it off long-term - without exercise. Perhaps you could find a way a way to work around your medical issues and get some more exercise into your life?

If walking works for you, about how much are you doing? I recently attended a conference at which a study was presented that found the best weight loss was associated with 280 minutes of exercise - specifically walking on a treadmill - per week, which works out to 40 minutes per day. I imagine that 40 minutes of ANY type of cardio, including stair walking, would be equally beneficial.

And of course, I have to put in a plug for weight lifting since I'm a personal trainer, after all. Working out with weights will help to boost that slow metabolism and increase your calorie burn, plus give you a tight, toned body once you get to goal. Even if you have some physical limitations, there's lots you can do with light dumbbells and resistance bands and even your own body weight.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:52 PM   #5  

Maybe try upping your calories a little. Sometimes your body gets used to the amount of calories you eat and you quit losing (I don't know the science behind this-I've just experienced it in the past). It's like when your body gets used to exercise, and you don't get the results you've been getting. Changing your exercise by upping the intensity or adding weight or whatever will get you back to getting results. Try adding a couple hundred more calories a day and see if that doesn't get you off your plateau.

Darby
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

1200 calories is pretty low. During a major plateau during my weight loss, I went from 1500 up to 1800 calories and re-started my weight loss. I was much happier on 1800 calories and lost the last 7 lbs eating that much per day.

Have you taken measurements? Sometimes the scale can be evil. Even a little glass of water can be heavy. When the scale didn't make me happy, I went to measurements and sometimes I saw positive movement in the tape measure, before I saw it on the scale.

Good luck, do not let a 3 week plateau stop you. You are doing SO GOOD! If you are eating better, you are doing such WONDERFULLY POSITIVE THINGS for your body, your health and your life, even if you are on a mean old plateau!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:41 PM   #7  
Movin on down the scale

I do measure, and I do see results..but up until the last 3 weeks, I have not seen the scale number move much..I know all about the evil scare conspiracy..lol I am going to try to do more walking...I really need to get on my treadmill anyways..I will see if hubby will watch the kids so I can do it..it is hard to get on it with the baby awake...is there any food/type of food I can eat to help? I know I am not getting enough protein, only like 30-40g per day and I should be getting 80g or better, so that is why I ordered the protein powder. But is there something else?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 11:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaLooseitagain
is there any food/type of food I can eat to help? I know I am not getting enough protein, only like 30-40g per day and I should be getting 80g or better, so that is why I ordered the protein powder. But is there something else?
As a former vegetarian, adding protein was difficult for me. I added salmon and turkey to my diet. I try to eat protein with every meal/snack and I usually eat: low fat yogurt (preferably organic, without high fructose corn syrup, I try to buy plain and add my own fruit), low fat string cheese, measured portion of nuts (especially almonds), tofu, eggs (egg whites and egg beaters), peanut butter (this is also a good source of healthy fat, I just have to measure it ), beans/legumes/pulses. I eat a ton of beans, especially black beans and lentils. I also love chickpeas! I make a great hummus dip (recipe below) which I like to eat with sugar snap peas (protein!) and baby carrots. I also cook a lot with that imitation crab stuff (it's actually fish). I make a great pasta sauce with it and a great quesadilla!

Of course, if you eat more meat than I do that opens up a lot of other good protein choices (chicken, beef, pork, etc).

As far as other foods you should be eating - it's hard to know what foods to suggest when I don't know what foods you are eating now. I concentrate on whole foods and avoid all packaged/process foods (or as much as I can). Whole foods definitely helped me to lose weight. I am very picky about food now - I pick out brightly colored produce and try to eat a wide variety every day (at least 5 servings). When I buy bread, it has to have at least 5 grams of fiber per slice, I make my own salad dressing, etc.

Hummus recipe:

2 cans chickpeas, drain and reserve liquid
Sun dried tomato (dried kind, not packed in oil)
Garlic (to taste)
Big splash of lemon juice

Put the chickpeas, sun dried tomatoes, garlic and lemon juice in the food processor and blend. Slowly add reserved liquid until desired consistency. Makes about 5 servings (1/2 cup each).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:32 AM   #9  
Movin on down the scale

thanks...I do avoid processed foods...I will see what happens for the next couple weeks and then if I am still the same weight range, I will have to see about maintaining until New years, then start again....thanks
Old 11-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with shaking up your calories. I recently went from an average of about 1300 calories daily (from early August until late October, I was in the same 3-pound range) up to an average of 1700-1900 calories a day and *BAM* I have lost about 10 pounds in the past 3 weeks.

Maybe increasing your calories is not the answer (but worth a shot!), but what about varying/cycling them? Instead of 1200 calories a day, try 900 one day, 1500 the next, then 900, 900, 1800...you get the idea--so your average daily caloric intake is still 1200 (that's an awful low number to work with!). I'm pretty sure there is no magic food that will make you drop weight any faster--sorry! Even those on low-carb/high-protein diets hit plateaus and must work through them.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote