Couscous and Shrimp Pesto Salad
1 pkg. Near East Roasted Garlic and Olive Oil Couscous Mix
1 cup firmly packed fresh basil
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or walnuts
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 T. olive oil 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pkg. (8 oz.) frozen, precooked shrimp, thawed
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
Lemon wedges, optional
1. In medium saucepan, prepare couscous according to package directions, except omit olive oil. Fluff prepared couscous lightly with a fork; cook, uncovered, 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in food processor or blender container, combine basil, nuts, cheese, olive oil and garlic; process 1 minute or until smooth.
3. In large bowl, combine prepared couscous and pesto sauce, tossing to coat evenly.
4. Gently stir in shrimp and bell pepper. Cover; chill at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with lemon wedges and additional cheese, if desired. (6 servings.)
Curried Shrimp & Peppers
* 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into large pieces
* 1/2 pound unpeeled sweet potatoes, quartered
* 1/2 cup canned chicken broth diluted with 1/4 cup water, or 3/4 cup homemade chicken broth
* 4 (not oil-packed) sun-dried tomato halves
* 2 tsp Whole Foods Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 TB curry powder
* 1/2 tsp sugar
* 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
* 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1" squares
* 1 cup sliced celery
* 3 TB chopped cilantro
* 2 TB nonfat sour cream
Commercial curry powders vary in strength, so if you are concerned about the spiciness of this dish, add only half the curry powder called for, taste and then add the remainder if the dish seems mild. If, on the other hand, you prefer hot curry, do not increase the amount of curry powder, but add a bit of cayenne instead.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
1. In a medium saucepan, bring red bell peppers, sweet potatoes, diluted chicken broth and sun-dried tomatoes to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until sweet potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about two minutes. Add curry powder and cook, stirring, until curry is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove skillet from heat.
3. Reserving broth, transfer cooked sweet potatoes and red bell peppers to food processor. Add sautéed onion mixture and process until smooth. Add reserved broth and sugar, and process sauce until smooth.
4. Return sauce to skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, green bell pepper and celery, and cook, stirring, until shrimp are cooked through, about four to six minutes.
5. Stir cilantro into curry. Serve curry dolloped with sour cream.
Nutrition Info Per Serving: 237 calories, 4.4g total fat, 0.8g saturated fat, 2.2g monounsaturated fat, 0.9g polyunsaturated fat, 6.3g dietary fiber, 19g protein, 33g carbohydrate, 1350mg cholesterol, 528mg sodium
Good source of: fiber, potassium, selenium, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin B6, iron, manganese