Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #1  

Default Anyone tried Whole Wheat Pasta???

I have been noticing whole wheat pasta when I go to the grocery store. I was wondering to those of you that have tried this.....is it good???? Any brands that you prefer?? Thanks in advance to those who post.

Andrea
AndreaS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:13 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

It tends to be a little bit grainy. I like it, but my son doesn't (yet). For him, I mix half regular cooked pasta and half whole-wheat cooked pasta. I think they have different cooking times, hence mixing them afterwards.

There is one brand that is made with half whole-wheat flour and half white flour, but I can't recall the name of it ... Harvest something, and I think it's in the organic section. I'll let you know after I go grocery shopping next.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #3  
wannaBaloser

Default whole wheat pasta

Hello,

Whole wheat pasta: I like it. It takes a couple of minutes longer to cook than the white, but it is negligible. It is interchangable for any pasta recipe. My only complaint is it does not yet come in all shapes of pasta. I have some very spicy sauces and the flavor difference is not a problem. I prefer whole wheat to white, and have for decades so the flavor difference was not a problem for me. My kids never even noticed. My advice would be to try it and see if you like it. It is just one more way to increase the nutrient quotient in your diet. Try a spice pepper sauce, it is very good. Or maybe just add some red pepper llakes to your pasta sauce to kick it up a notch.
Good luck.

one ounce off at a time

wannaBa loser
wannaBaloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #4  

My favorite brand: Hodgson Mills. They make all the shapes (spaghetti, elbows, rotini, etc). They also make an awesome whole wheat pancake mix.

Healthy Harvest, by Prince, is a mix of grains and a bit lower in fiber.

Good luck making the transition.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #5  
Losing for Life!

I don't know if you get cattelli pasta in the U.S. but they are making a whole new line of whole grain pastas even some with omega 3 and I have tried 2 of them and find them to be very good. The first time I tried whole wheat pasta years ago, I didn't like them at all so they have improved a lot.
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #6  
it's always something

I couldn't stand it when I tried it. The texture was not appealing and the flavor didn't go well with the dish I made. It was yucky. Then I realized that as little pasta as I eat, it didn't matter (for me) if it was whole wheat or white.

However, I recently read an article in Cooks Illustrated which reviewed the various brands of whole wheat pasta and found that while many were yucky, some were very good. I might try another brand sometime.

Here's a snippet from the article with what they said about the specific brands:

OUR FAVORITE

RONZONI Healthy Harvest, $1.79 for 13.25 ounces
The only pasta that tasted "undeniably wheaty" without a gummy or grainy texture.

RECOMMENDED

EDEN Organic,
$2.15 for 14 ounces
Nice texture, with a mild flavor-though some found it too mild. "Where's the wheat?"

BIONATURAE,
$2.29 for 16 ounces
The texture of this mild-mannered, "not very wheaty" pasta rivals that of conventional pasta. "A good introduction" to whole wheat pasta.

WESTBRAE NATURAL, $2.49 for 16 ounces
The flavor merely "hints at wheat." Several tasters noticed traces of "gumminess."

NOT RECOMMENDED

ANNIE'S HOMEGROWN, $1.99 for 16 ounces
Full-flavored to some, "intense" to others. Several tasters swore they detected cinnamon.

DE CECCO, $2.29 for 17.5 ounces
The most dietary fiber, but the "gritty, grainy"
texture "feels healthy." The flavor was mild.

EDEN Biodynamic, $2.06 for 14 ounces
Tasters decried the "sandy" texture.

DEBOLES, $1.99 for 8 ounces
Thin noodles were "sticky" and "gluey."

NATURAL VALUE, $2.54 for 16 ounces
"Toothless" pasta reminded tasters of rice.

HODGSON MILL, $2.39 for 16 ounces
"Doughy," "mealy," "sour," and "dusty" sum it up.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:36 PM   #7  
Opulent

I never eat "white" pasta...I only eat whole wheat, quinoa, brown rice or vegetable-whole wheat blends. I like them. They are nutritionally superior and worth the small textural difference for me and my family.
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:55 AM   #8  

Thanks for all this great info girls!!
AndreaS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:55 AM   #9  
LLV

Yep, Ronzoni is my favorite brand too
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote