Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-12-2005, 01:34 AM   #1  
Determined Loser!

Default Too few calories?

I find myself eating between 600-800 calories a day. I just simply dont get very hungry. I find that every seven days or so though i binge and have about 2000 calories that day. Am i better off to increase what i have daily or is this once a week calorie boost ok? It never ends up being more than one day a week, and right away im back on track with my usual 600-800 calories. What do you guys think?
jazztap10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:53 AM   #2  

1,200 is usually considered the bare minimum per day. Anything below that is usually considered dangerous if it is on a continuous basis.
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

I think that even though you are saying you aren't hungry on 600-800 cals per day, your body is telling you something different by your weekly binges. You're not getting the nutritional requirements to fuel your body on a calorie count so low and the binges are trying to make up for that. Slowly increase your intake...adding healthy fruits, veggies, lean protein etc to your meals and unless you have a doctor's approval usually going under 1000-1200 on a regular basis is a bad idea.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #4  
Determined Loser!

ok, thanks guys. and congrats to you both for on your weight loss
jazztap10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #5  
banned

i have to agree w a 1200 cal minimum.
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #6  
Movin on down the scale

I know I stay at a 1200 cal/day diet, somedays I barely get 900...I try to force a 3pm snack to help me get them up since I do not have a desire to eat after dinner...so I try to stay at/very close to 1200
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #7  

Going that low (600-800cal), puts your body into starvation mode so it wants to hold onto every calorie & every fat cell it can because it doesn't know if its going to have enough to survive on. YOu can actually start causing damage to internal organs by going too low- I have a GI condition that causes chronic nausea & vomiting. At one point, I was hospitalized because I couldn't get enough in- I was on IV fluids that had some nutritional value plus what little I could take orally so I was probably getting about 600 calories. Eventualy after a few days, my blood work showed my body was breaking down its own tissue and damaging my kidney so I was put on a feeding tube that bypasses my stomach. I still had a hard time with nausea & vomitting, plus I was limited on how many calories I could take in via the feeding tube so I had to have my blood work run frequently to make sure everything was okay. Anytime I ran into problems and got below 1000-1200 calories per day for more then a few days, I started getting bad test results.

Another problem with going that low is that you typically end up eating an extremely low fat diet- our bodies need some fat to be healthy. That is not saying we need the fat that comes in a donut, but fat from an egg yolk, nuts, etc are needed to be healthy. I bet if you up your calorie intake that you will feel better and lose more weight- and be healthier overall.
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztap10
I find myself eating between 600-800 calories a day. I just simply dont get very hungry. I find that every seven days or so though i binge and have about 2000 calories that day.
That's because you're starving yourself.

600-800 calories is way too low, hon.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote