Old 11-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #1  

Default Roasting Vegetables

I'm looking for info on how to roast vegetables? Any suggestions? What veggies come out the best when roasted?

Need it to be as low cal/low fat as possible..

Thanks
Christine
Chris931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:52 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

I roasted some vegetables tonight ... zucchini, eggplant, onion, and mushroom. I marinated it in orange-flavored olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette, and it turned out fabulous. I have enough left over for lunch tomorrow, and my house smelled yummy all night!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've used (wet) italian dressing too, yummy! Ranch dressing mix (dry) also makes a great seasoning for roasted vegetables. I use a big ziploc bag to moisten the veggies with a couple teaspoons of olive oil (or even water) and pour them into a foil lined pan that I've sprayed with cooking spray (if I didn't use oil). Then shake in the ranch dressing mix and bake at 400 degrees until the veggies are tender and carmelized.

Colleen
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:34 AM   #4  
it's always something

I have the Cafe Cook Book, from the River Cafe in London. There is a whole chapter on wood roasted vegetables, which they seem to be famous for. They explain in the cookbook that you can achieve the same results in the oven.

Quote:
Home cooks can create the same results by roasting meats, fish, vegetables, or fruits at a high temperature on the lowest rack in the oven, or by slow roasting over a longer period of time. With these techniques, flavors become more intense, concentrated, and delicous.
Recipes include wood roasted asparagus, zucchini, beets, carrots, and more. They all call for olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper. Some also include balsamic vinegar, red wine, fresh herbs, and other ingredients. All look heavenly. If my scanner were hooked up, I'd show you a picture I'm particularly anxious to try the pumpkin recipe --

Wood roasted pumpkin:
1 small pumpkin, about 2 1/2 lbs, peeled, cut into wedges 3/4 inch thick
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 small dried red chili, crumbled
1 bunch fresh thyme, leaves picked from the stalk
coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400*. Put the pumpkin pieces in a bowl with the other ingredients. Mix thoroughly to coat. Put in an oiled baking dish and roast for about an hour.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

OMG, that sounds wonderful!! I'm sure it would work fine with a squash too. I think I'll try it this weekend.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:28 AM   #6  

This sounds wonder, wonder if you all used the bottom rack or what...seems like they would burn cooking so long on that rack....
skeeweeaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/247/130

WOW! I am definately going to try this technique tonight for dinner!
LaurieM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/247/130

WOW! I am definately going to try this technique tonight for dinner!
LaurieM35 is offline   Reply With Quote