Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-04-2005, 09:15 AM   #1  

Default Protein Powder

Protein Powders..

I read alot of members use this in puddings and protein drinks, my question is how does this stuff taste????
chiarij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:22 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Some are ok, you really have to experiment! If it's in a cake or something then it's hardly noticeable. If you make a shake with the flavoured ones some people can't stand certain ones. I like the first one I tried so I've stuck with that so far!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

100% Whey Optimum Nutrition Double Choc from GNC is what I use (and like a lot). Like frus, it was the first one I bought so I haven't tried any others. If you do a search for "protein" under the LWL forum there are some other recommendations that sound good too.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #4  

Whey tastes the best, or should I say, tastes the LEAST. Soy tastes like soy milk.

You might check out www.proteinfactory.com. They carry a lot of different forumlas for different needs, and you can custom-blend your own. They also rate the formulas and components on taste, mixability, etc.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #5  

My DS who lifts daily and I have tried both the Whey Optimum Nutrition and the Pro Performance Soy and Whey Protein powders from GNC. The Soy has more of an aftertaste; but I'm using it for personal bone health benefits. I don't think I would try all Soy. I buy Vanilla and make several combinations. "Orange Creamsicle" I use a cup of vanilla SoySlender milk or skim milk, a scoop of protein powder, a cup of crushed ice, a 1/2 tsp orange extract, and a tsp of SF Divinci Vanilla syrup (you may need extra vanilla if you use plain skim milk), and a Tbsp or two of SF Vanilla pudding. blend until it's milkshake consistency. "Chocalate Mocha" a cup of Cappicino SoySlender or LF Chocalate Milk, cup of crushed ice, tsp of SF Vanilla Syrup, and couple of Tbsps SF Chocalate Fudge pudding. If I use use fresh or frozen fruit I usually add some Splenda the amount varies according to the ripeness of the fruit. I make these every afternoon when DS comes in from school.
2 bt mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #6  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

I drink EAS shakes every day -- either ready-made or from powder. I LOVE them, but Mel (I think it was Mel ) said something about throwing away a few tubs of it cuz she couldn't stand the taste. So I think it's an individual thing. Try a few and see if you find one you like.

And as embarrassed as I am to admit this, I also eat Instone High Protein Pudding. Instone as in Stallone.

Yes, Sylvester Stallone.

I think they're very yummy . So there ARE other options other than actual protein SHAKES.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:43 PM   #7  
it's always something

I like the Myoplex Lite shake mixes. I don't like the RTD because I like to prepare mine in the blender with ice.

I also buy plain, unflavored VegeFuel soy protein to put in fresh fruit smoothies. You do have to acquire a taste for it, lol, but you really do get used to it. I use the VegeFuel with yogurt, applesauce, splenda, and cinnamon, and enough skim milk to thin it. It tastes like apple pie
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #8  
Mel

Kate, I bought a whole case of Sly's chocolate protein pudding. I think it's delicious

Taste what you want in a protein powder are highly individualized. I use different powders for different purposes. HDTProBlend or HDT whey (vanilla or chocolate) for baking, and SAN Anabolic Fusion for when I'm having a shake. The SAN Anabolic Fusion is a casein and whey blend and the proteins are processed in different ways to control their rate of absorbtion. Some pretein powders have carbs added to make them meal replacements rather than just a protein source.

EAS stuff I coulrn't swallow, and there are few food (can't actually think of ANY) that I don't like.

Also look at the sweeteners. Some use aspartame, some use splenda, some use Acesulfame K, others use combinations. If you can taste the aftertaste or have problems with certain sweeteners, you'll want to take that into account.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Kate, I bought a whole case of Sly's chocolate protein pudding. I think it's delicious
LOL, Mel. I just got another case, too!! And I LOVE the chocolate! If you put them in the freezer for a bit, they taste like ice cream! My kitten loves it, too -- he harrasses me every time I start eating it (paws flying at the spoon, etc.)

That Sly's a good cook, huh?
Old 11-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #10  
it's always something

I bet the chocolate would be good. Every vanilla protein product I've tried tasted just like Play-doh.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #11  

Yeah, Sly's vanilla pudding tastes like spackle. Well, tastes like what I would imagine spackle tastes like...having never actually eaten spackle, I can't confirm that 100%. It's very grainy .
Old 11-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #12  
Meg

The best vanilla protein product I've ever tried is Champion Nutrition's Low Carb Ultramet. It's a LC shake in a packet that you mix with water (I add ice also). It's good enough to drink plain, which is unusual for vanilla shakes.

The juice bar at our gym is making a new flavor of protein shake that's kind of different and really good. They're taking a vanilla protein shake and adding PB and cinnamon. It tastes kind of like an oatmeal cookie -- yum! They're also making pumpkin spice ones, with pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spices, and vanilla protein.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #13  

Where can you find Sly's choc pudding???
2 bt mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #14  

The only one I can tolerate is Champion Nutrition Strawberry Whey shake. You do not need to add anything to it or you can add some banana and milk. I tried some soy powder and I was gaging from each sip!
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #15  
Mel

2 bt mom- I buy all my protein powders and the pudding online. I usually order from netrition.com or vitaglo.com. You may find the pudding at a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe so you can sample it without having to buy a whole case.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote