Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 10:16 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr. old #133

G’day all

Peggy I am sure you will find the site I posted a bit addictive, I have been going there about every day.

Glenda sorry to hear you are not well with a cold. Soon I hope to be able to ‘just get up and go’ and walk for miles That is quite a distance you covered.

Slavika I have never heard of red licorice, I am only aware of licorice all sorts and black licorice, both rather nice
I think it should not be allowed when a publishing company puts a different cover on a book. I have been caught a few times, same book different cover
As far as age, many years ago I worked as a receptionist in the casualty section of a large hospital. I had to ask the age of patients that came in, the elderly would always ask for me to guess their age. I always made sure I ‘guessed’ them to be quite a bit younger and invariably they would tell me that they were going to be 85 (or whatever) next birthday, despite the fact that the birthday was still 11 ˝ months away. It always made me smile.

I don’t know if it is in the headlines at your side of the world but we have a very sad situation here with some 450 asylum seekers languishing just outside Australian waters. We have a large ‘problem’ with asylum seekers entering Australia illegally. Whatever ones politically outlook, it is very sad that people are so desperate to go to these measures to try and get away from the regime they are living under in their home country. I personally think the ‘scum’ that trades in the misery of these people should be held accountable but somehow no-one seems to catch up with them.

It is a gloomy day here today and quite cold. The trees in the botanical gardens across the road are about to burst into leave at any moment. It should be quite spectacular when they do.

Another great site was mentioned on another thread, worth having a look.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 08-27-2001 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2001, 01:23 AM   #2  
Super Surfer

Default saw lots of movies over the weekend

Slavika since I had a tough weekend, the movies you borrowed me came in handy. I just loved "O Brother Where Art Thou", "Notting Hill", "Hanging Up" wasn't Bad, "Entrapment "did nothing for me, and "Me Myself & I" was a complete turn off. However, I did watch them from beginning to end and was grateful for them. Thanks again.
In the Audio tapes I just finished "Sacred Sins' by Nora Roberts, excellent! And have just started "Legacy of Silence" by Belva Plain, and it looks promising, hated to leave it at the Wellness Center today. I also listened to "Carnal Innocence " by Nora Roberts, loved it. "Paradise"one of Oprah's book club recommendations was a bore and very hard to follow - not good, "Post Mortem" by Patricia Cornwell, was so-so, "Dangerous To Know" was OK. "Calder Pride" was super, and "WElcome to the World Baby Girl" was good. The Audio Tapes really work well with my work outs - the time just flys by.
You gals really depressed me by letting me know all the foods that may bother me.....everything I just love. I did find out that cucumbers are a no-no for now. The Losec is working quite well for the stomach but is playing havoc with my IBS. Maybe that will straighten out as my system gets used to it.....I hope. So far I haven't taken any over the counter antacids, but perhaps that would be a good idea.
I will be getting on the dreaded scale tomorrow at WW. Not too worried, think I will be OK, but I shouldn't be too confident because any thing can happen between now and then.
Maria the information you have been providing is a hoot, been enjoying all of it. See my DH in almost everything. LOL
GLenda So sorry for the cold, maybe it won't last long and you will be back to normal soon. Way to go on the weight losses, you must be so pleased.
Lily what happened to the pictures, went there to look at the snowmen and couldn't find any pictures at all. Am I confused again, or what? Need help!

Well, it is late and I am tired, - off to bed - see you gals tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2001, 11:53 AM   #3  
Life Time 2001

Trudy: I havent scanned them yet. I will tonight and then post them. So no you are not confused.

Back later
Old 08-28-2001, 11:54 AM   #4  
Member Florida Chick

Talking Fun in the Sun!

Good morning all

Sounds like you are all doing well in the weight dept.

Slavika: Let me know what you do to get back on goal. I'm working at it, but don't feel soo successful right now.

Trudy: I know it is a 'bummer' but you will be okay. I was told to take a dose of Mylanta/Maalox between meals for the first few weeks, or as necessary. Also to use Mylanta Gas or Gasx between meals for a few days or as necessary. Especially for things like cucumbers, cantelope and watermelon. At leat those were the things that gave me truoble at first. Did your Dr. ever give you a GI coctail, or as it is also known witches brew? It has something in it to numb your esophagus.(tongue too but it works for a short term fix.

Maria: Funny stuff. I couldn't agree with you more about the people who scam the poor refugees who just want to escape to a better life. We have that here in Fl. all the time in the Miami area with people coming on overloaded small boats from Cuba and Haiti. And there always seems to be loss of life, as a boat capsizes or some such thing. When we lived near the Canadian border, it was the same, people being smuggled in car trunks and special compartments on trucks. It is sad to think there are so many desperate people in the world. We have it so good!

Glenda: Sorry about the cold. Why is it that something we can't do much about except wait, can make one feel so 'punk'? You were very smart to seize the moment, and see your kids, Who cares if you didn't look like a page out of a fashion magazine.

Peggy: Hope your sale will be a big success. It better be since you have been in the cellar so long.

Lily: You are the computer expert you and Maria. Can you tell me how to use the top of the post page to get the different colors? I have tried a couple of things but nothing happened. I obviously left out something. When you put in a color, and then type in at the top what you want that color, does it show on your post before you submit, or does it only show on the submitted copy.

Karen: How many meetings this week?

Here is a good recipe for cookies. If you leav off the pecan halves it is only .5 per cookie

Chocolate Pecan Thins

36 pecan halves
1/2 cup sugar
2TBS butter
2Tbs apple butter
1 large egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350deg. Place pecans on cookie sheet; bake until nuts begin to brown and are fragrant. about 5 min. Remove and set a side. Combine sugar and butters in medium bowl. Beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until soft. Add egg white and vanilla; beat until combined, scraping mixture off sides of bowl as needed. In medium bowl whisk together cocoa, flour, and baking powder. Add to butter mixture and combine. Drop dough by even teaspoonfulls about one inch apart onto 3 ungreased cookie sheets. Place 1 pecan half on top of each cookie. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 min. Remove to rack to cool completely. 2 cookies per serving Serves 18 2 points per serving.

They are really good, but just as good without the nuts.

Have fun and enjoy. Ann
Old 08-28-2001, 02:12 PM   #5  
Life Time 2001

Ann: When replying on the right hand side you will see this
vB Code [help]
Normal Mode
Enhanced Mode
Click on the enhanced mode to select it.
Then when typing your message choose the colors and when you dont want the color any more click on the Close Tags on the left hand side. You will not see the colors until you post. But you will see it put some code in your message. Hope that helps if not I will try to explain again
Old 08-28-2001, 08:11 PM   #6  
Net browser

Default ...nice day today

Hi Everybody

Lily I didn't know that's the way to change the color of the text. I was just clicking on the color and then typing in the "Explorer User Box" that opens up. I tried it the way you said and I ended up with a whole message in red. I will work on it. Ann when I went to WW today I was up another 2.8# (first weigh in this month). I reached my goal weight of 150# in October of 1998 and have been sort of up and down since. Right now I am 158.5# and will get back to writing in my journal, and weighing and measuring things. I still walk on the treadmill and I drink lots and lots of water, so hopefully it won't take to long to get back to goal.
Tea time was great, and so were the "Butter Tart Cheesecakes" even if the gals had to eat them "off" the paper liners. Trudy said she didn't mind a bit of paper, but drew the line at eating tinfoil. Ahh that's my friend.
Have a nice evening everybody. Bye now.

Last edited by slavika; 08-28-2001 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:29 PM   #7  
Life Time 2001

Default Snowmen

Click below to see snowmen and a suprise!

Snowmen

Slavika: You need to make sure you hit the Close tag when you want the color to stop. But you need to be in advanced mode to do it. I thought this was the only way. Im not sure what you mean by the explorer box.
Oh I see now! You need to make sure you click the radio button on the right side and change it to the Enhanched mode. Been in that mode for so long I forgot about the Explorer box. I couldnt ever get that to work correctly

Last edited by LilyG; 08-28-2001 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:38 PM   #8  

Default g'day all

Ann you are doing a great job with your computer. I am sure if you follow Lily's instructions you will be posting colour/bold in no time.
You mentioning about the refugees/asylum seekers, whatever you want to call them, in your country is not new to me but I wasn't aware it was as bad as it was.
I agree, whatever ones view point, we are very fortunate with the life we have.
Just got an email that Lily has just posted, ah great minds think alike albeit in the form of posting on 3fc

Slavika good luck with getting those few pounds off. The site I have posted in my first post here, is very good, well worth a visit.

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 08-28-2001, 09:34 PM   #9  
Super Surfer

Default ooooh I am ticked

Barbara Orbison got me banned from Napster a while ago because I downloaded and shared "Pretty Woman". Since then I have tried 2 other sites - the latest being BearShare - not having too much luck . I was able to find the songs, but can't seem to get them downloaded. I HATE CHANGE...I was so comfortable with Napster.
Maria it's probably just me and my PC, but I couldn't get the site you posted. I will try again!
Lily Do you leave "Enhanced Mode" on all the time? That is so neat the way we just click on "Snowmen" to get the pictures of Peggy's snowmen and the picture of Peggy & hubby. How do you do that? I always have to type in the actual address, but notice a lot of people just put in a couple of words and ..... viola .....
Peggy the snowmen are so cute and you and your DH make a really nice couple. Thanks for sharing that with us.... now, how do we get these snowmen for ourselves?????
Slavika those "Buttertart cheesecakes" were devine...I know I have that little booklet somewhere, got to look for it. No one minded working the crust off the paper, it actually helped burn off a calorie (I'm sure of it)
Ann I never had the GI Cocktail, but probably could have used it. I am familiar with Gas-x and now that Mylanta comes in pill form, I will give it a try.
I did OK at WW today. This is the first summer I have been through, that I didn't gain a whole bunch of weight. I managed to stay under goal (only because the week I was over goal I didn't go anywhere near the scale ) That is quite an accomplishment for me - hope I can keep it up, ~ "one day at a time".

'Nite all....
Old 08-28-2001, 11:45 PM   #10  
Net browser

Lily thanks again for the computer help.

Peggy you and DH look just great. Your snowman are really very wonderful.....no wonder you spend so much time in your basement. hee hee

Maria I was able to get to "funny site" you posted for us without trouble so maybe Trudy is having a bit of computer trouble. I also went to the fitness one, but I am too tired tonight to look around much. Tomorrow............

Night all.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:02 AM   #11  
Super Surfer

Maria tried the site again and got there. Must have been the PC as I RARELY make mistakes Thanks..
Old 08-29-2001, 07:54 AM   #12  

It is weird to see yourself on the web..... Maria I love that site. Have sent my cat friends some of the cat stuff. Have to go back and explore some more. Slavika I happened to go to Olde Time Pottery yesterday and they had knock offs of those ceramic birdhouses. They didn't have all the detail that the original have. Those buttertart cheesecakes sound so good my mouth is watering for one. Trudy, banned from Napster. You have been reading some good books. I am going to have to get some. I like to listen while I craft. I just read Nora Roberts new one but for the life of me I can't remember the title. It was good though. Good going for staying the same all summmer. Well my dog is wanting to go for his morning walk. We have to go later today because it is the first day of school around here and all the yellow monsters [buses] are on the road. Much easier to go later than to start and stop while they load. Also the kids in the cars should already be there. We walk in a park across from a high school. Have a good day. Hi Lily, Karen, Glenda and Ann.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:46 AM   #13  
Member Florida Chick

Talking Thank you

Lily: I'm trying your instructions. I'm sometimes pretty 'thick' between the ears. So we'll ssee. Thanks for your help.Trudy:As much as you probably don't like the liquid mylanta it does work better.[COLOR=darkred]Peggy: The snowpeople are great. But I can see time consuming. But with a handsome husband, being a prisoner in the cellar isn't all bad.Hi everyone else. I have to post this and see if I passed or failed.
Have a good day.
[COLOR=royalblue]Ann
Old 08-29-2001, 10:50 AM   #14  
Member Florida Chick

Default Keep trying!!

I'd call that aabout 50%. But they tell me practice makes perfect.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:24 AM   #15  
Life Time 2001

Trudy: When Replying there is a button for HTTP: click on it and a box comes up and asks for a name. Type it in and click ok. Then another box pops up and asks for the URL. Just put that in there and click ok and it does the rest!

Peggy: I love what you call the Buses! Yellow Monsters! To cute!

Ann: you are doing fine! Looks like you are just forgetting the closing tags in some spots

Have a great day all!
Closed Thread