Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #1  

Default Healthy Goal Weight

I have already lost 70+lbs. I am now just under 160lbs.

My WW goal for my age(25) and height (5'4") is 140lbs, but I am starting to wonder if that will be too much. At 160 I feel healthier, I do want to lose more but I wonder if 20more is too much? Have any fellow WWers got a doc note stating that a weight higher that what WW suggests will be a healthy weight? Please give me some opinions!
Old 10-30-2005, 03:41 PM   #2  
wannaBaloser

Default weight loss

I am a firm believer in a weight that you feel good at. Maybe you need to just maintain for a while; let your body rest from losing. Then try to lose what ever you have left at a slower rate. I think, just as muscles need a day of repair between weight lifting; your body needs a break from working to shift all the elements of weight loss. So take a break from active losing and reevaluate how you are feeling in...say one month.
I wish you the best of luck.

O2BN....Iceland

wannaBaloser
Old 10-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #3  

I am 5'9" tall. My weight watchers range is 135-169. When I got to 169, I still wanted to lose a little more, but didnt feel that I wanted to get to 135. I was at 135 when I was 28, but I am 49 now and I feel good where I am now. I made my goal weight 155 and right now I am 153 but I am maintaining. Now I am a Lifetime member. Stop where you feel right, you know how your body feels. You will know when its right to stop. WannaBaloser has a good suggestion.

Good Luck,
Lisa
Old 10-31-2005, 07:28 AM   #4  
Eat well, Live well

I am also 5'4, so I am in the same range. I am still gunning for 137, but I must admit, these last few pounds are presenting me with a challenge. I too feel a lot healthier and a lot stronger. Here's a suggestion, if you haven't already been doing this, start to do some strength training. It'll tone up places that are flabby after weight loss, like arms, and ab workouts will help flatten the tummy. Although the number on the scale might not move a lot, you will notice the change in your body shape. As an added bonus, the muscle will help you burn calories faster! You will feel even better than you already do!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:46 AM   #5  
huntersmommy

S/C/G: 230/230/not sure yet

Height: 5 3/4

okay i'm 5 3/4" my highest goal weight for weight watchers is 123 well i'm perfectly happy at 125 but, have set 123 for my weight watchers goal and I know i could be smaller than that according to weight watchers but, i feel really good at that weight I think if you get to skinny ya start looking a lil on the yuck side. I have added more excercise to my routine lately i was walking between 2-4 miles a day and doing the richard simmons disco sweat video great excercise I just got richards no ifs ands or butts and no ifs ands or abs and I tell ya the butt and ab workout are both wonderful they are 23 minutes a piece thing i like bout richards videos his music is fun and peppy. makes ya feel like moving and laughing. I am definitely seeing a difference I need to get some weights and start working my arms now. cause after weighing what i did after my son was born I definitely have some flabby skin i would like to get toned up so I can feel really good about all this weight i'm losing. but, i feel you should be comfy and happy with yourself at the weight you choose as your goal
Old 11-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #6  
MRSKMS

S/C/G: 205

Height: 5'4"

I am 48 and 5'4" and have set my goal at 138. I have gotten as low as 119 and 125 on two other occassions but those weights were too low for me. I looked gaunt and couldn't stay there without a struggle.

It is important to find a weight that you feel good at and don't have to constantly eat like a rabbit to stay at.
I would prefer to set my goal a bit higher and if I drop a bit great but if I dont then at least I won't have to pay as a lifetime member
Cindy
Old 11-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #7  

Let us know if you get the dr.'s note. I am 5 3 and I haven't seen 135 since jr high. This is despite being very athletic and having a % body fat at the low end of normal. I really can't see myself at that weight. I really can't picture it being healthy. I have a long way to go, but I've been mulling it over in my mind for quite sometime. It makes my goal seem even more unattainable.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:28 PM   #8  
MRSKMS

S/C/G: 205

Height: 5'4"

My friend went and got a Dr note to set her goal a bit higher than the range.

Like she said she was pushing 60 and hadn't weighed that weight since she was likely 30 so might as well keep it realistic and then if it is a bit high and she can still lose a bit more great. Otherwise that's ok too
Cindy
Old 11-03-2005, 11:42 PM   #9  

Does WW require a doctor's note if your goal weight is outside of the recommended BMI range?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #10  

They sure do. Otherwise it is considered to be an "unhealthy" weight.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:31 AM   #11  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

I am 5'4 and I got a doctors note because my goal weight is 140 and I don't really think I can comfortable stick to that weight. I want to be at a weight that I can easily stick to without becoming obsesses about it. Right now I am at my doctors goal weight but I plan on losing a couple more lbs. Everything on me is big ( breasts, hand and feet) so I don't think I look good at that weight. I weighted it for about a day 15 years ago.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #12  
Cowboy Up Chick

Speak to your health care profession ie., doctor. to see what is a good weight for you.

I have always wanted to be 150 (feel good, look good) but my leader says I would be an awesome leader so she wants me to try to get to W/W standards of 145 (all ages for 5'4" - which you could declare too if you wanted).

But all you need is a written prescription or note from your doctor for what you and he/she feel is a good goal weight.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:26 PM   #13  

Wow, Canadian Tracie, 74lbs is a great loss! I bet you looked completely amazing at your wedding.
Did you ask your doc yet? Let us know what you find out!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:36 AM   #14  

I had my annual poking & prodding on Friday. I hadn't seen my doc since I lost my weight...she was amazed.. When I talked to her about it she told me that I should aim for 10 more and see how I feel then. If I think its good she will write me a note...but then I was thinking...if I lose 10 more why not lose 16 more and be at my WW suggested goal? for some reason 16 to lose seems like so much less than 20 to lose?!?!

PS...you should know what I looked like at my wedding SaskieMom!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:19 AM   #15  

That must have felt SO good to show your doctor what you've done!!! Way to go, kid!
I think you're right- go for the full 16. The way you've been losing, it will be super soon!
Congrats again on all your losses.
Tara
Closed Thread