Old 10-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #1  
Mission: POSSIBLE

Question Focus and being realistic...

Is your focus more on weight or measurements?

My main focus is on measurements, but since I weigh myself more often than I measure, it's rewarding to see the scale numbers drop (I'm hoping for an ultra rewarding day when I do my next measurements!).

Since I've never been a thin person, I can't say what I "should" weigh, but can only go by some of the ideal weight guides out there. I'm 5'1" and have a small to medium bone frame. Is 115 unrealistic to think about? Based on my "stats", an ideal weight for me is anywhere from 98 (eek!!) to 132. I can remember being 130 when I was in my teens, and I was still chubby and needed to lose about 15 to 20 pounds. 115 seems to be smack dab in the middle of that, so it seems to be as good of a goal as any. I have to keep reminding myself that muscle weighs more than fat, so heck - who knows what may be "ideal"!

Am I being unrealistic or does it really not even matter at this point? The road ahead is going to be a long one, and it seems as though I should just focus more on my personal mini-goals rather than dwelling on that silly "end goal" number.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #2  

Hilary -
What I like to do is to look at smaller goals, like 5 pounds. That way it makes it much more doable to reach that next goal.
At this point, if I were you, I wouldn't even think about the 'final' goal number....Just concentrate on losing the next five pounds. Sooner or later, you will figure out what a good final goal number is for you. Rome wasn't built in a day.....
Best of luck on your journey.......
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #3  

Yeah, I have my weight loss mini-goals broken up into 20 pound "phases" that make it all a little less daunting for me. I didn't gain all of it in a month, and I'm certainly not going to lose it in a month! lol
Old 10-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I stopped trying to focus on any of the numbers and instead focus more on getting in exercise and eating healthy. I did break up my weight loss into 5 pound goals though just so I can see my progress. I take my measurements monthly as well.

You'll find many of those who have gotten near goal have changed it (either higher or lower). Like Star said as the weight starts coming off you'll have a better idea of where you'd like to be.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:17 PM   #5  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

I have been focusing on weight but I will also begin to take measurements into consideration. I haven't been "thin" since childhood (when I was a beanpole). But in high school I was a "thick", athletic 175lbs. I'm 5'10". Thats why that is my goal now because I was very happy with the way I looked. As I work my way down, I will decide when I want to stop by how I feel and how I feel about how I look. I can't buy into the numbers recommended for me (132-174lbs). My doctor doesn't want me to either, health is what is most important. Ideal for me is supposed to be 150, so I'm going for a good 25lbs over that. We'll see what works for me. Also, I think that while I haven't lost all that many pounds, I'm sure I've lost inches. A lot of people have commented on my 3lb weight loss ! So I'm sure the inches are melting away as well.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:51 PM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I'm only 20lb or so away from the big number I had in my head and I still don't know what weight I actually want to end up at, I'm just aiming at it because it's a nice round number. The whole time I've just been focussing on the next 10 or 15 pounds, and assuming that when I get there I'll know. I don't think that I'll wake up one day and suddenly love my body to bits, just that I'll get to a point where I realise that the effort of losing any more weight outweighs the benefits, that I'm healthy and comfortable, and that I'm happy to stay at that figure.

I've never been anywhere near my goal weight (or even the weight I'm at now) since my early teens so it's all very much guess work.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #7  
2006 - Panda Remix

It might also be helpful to set yourself a target clothes size, rather than weight. I want to be a UK size 12 (US size 8) - I have an idea that I will have to weigh about 140lb to be that size, but I don't really know as I will be packing a lot of muscle by then. Maybe it will be less, maybe more - until I get there I don't know! Everyones ideal weight is different and depends on so many factors - those height / weight charts can be misleading. I wouldn't worry to much about a final goal weight - just focus on your smaller targets for now, and then as you get slimmer you'll be able to tell more what weight you'll feel comfortable with.

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:30 PM   #8  

I'm 5'7" and at 159 I wear a size 12 (U.S.) sometimes a 10......and I still want to get to 150, but not speeding to get there...lol
Old 10-28-2005, 02:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Well, my focus was on the scale, but I've decided to put it in the garage and weigh monthly. My scale progress is slow to non-existent lately. However, my clothes-o-meter shows that I'm doing something right, and I'm sure it's because of the increase in exercise, both cardio and weight lifting. I'm 5'9" tall (okay, I'm probably really a bit over 5'8" now that I'm older), weigh 185 and wear a size 12. Some are loose; some are tighter. I'd like to fit into a size 10 comfortably, and get into some size 8s.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #10  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Wow. Congratulations Star! What an inspiration you are! (I swear, the rhyming was purely accidental )
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #11  

Shannon -

Sheila53 - I can wear some 10's now. But funny story, somehow at NY&Company I got into and bought two pairs of size 8's. I wear these on my 'thinnist' of days. The last time I wore them by the time I got off work I had a stomach ache - I couldn't get home fast enuf to put on my sweats....
Point of story - sometimes a smaller size number ain't all it's cracked up to be....
Old 10-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #12  

I have to admit, the numbers still mean a great deal to me even though I know they shouldn't. But it's ingrained in me after a lifetime of obesity and one quick fix diet after another, so it's not been an easy habit to break. But I do try to base it more on feel. How do I feel in my jeans, how do I feel in terms of energy and after I exercise? How do I feel when I'm eating clean and doing what I know I should. Because the numbers are gonna go up and down even after you reach your goal, it's inevitable, but your overall health is all that really matters, and once you can focus on that rather than the scale or measuring tape, it really will take a lot of the pressure off, I promise. Remember, it's about living, not about the numbers. So do what ever works for you, as long as the end results produce a healthy new you!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #13  

Beverly - all I have to say is WOW! 190 pounds - that's incredible!

It's hard to pretend the numbers don't mean anything, when in reality, they mean a lot more than they should. It's hard to separate from what's healthy and what you want to see on the scale sometimes!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #14  

Hilary,
Don't think so much about the final number and just keep doing the right stuff everyday. Your numbers will continue to go down. It won't be long til you'll reach Onederland and I bet that will be a major victory for you. I know it was for me and everyone else I know that was over the 200 mark....
Keep on keeping on...
Old 10-28-2005, 11:24 PM   #15  

You've got that right, Star - I can't wait to be back in the 1s!