Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 05:07 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Not exactly Core-friendly, but ...

I thought we could use a little bit of cheering up, so here's a recipe I found today.

State-Fair Winning SPAM Recipe: Island Teriyaki Bites

Ingredients: 1 12oz. can of SPAM Light
3 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 cups Teriyaki sauce
1 cup chopped pineapple
3 Tbsp. chopped green onions
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/2 tsp ginger
phyllo sheets
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp jalapeno jelly melted

Dice SPAM and marinate in 1 cup of teriyaki sauce for 30 minutes. Drain and saute SPAM in sesame oil for 3-4 minutes. Add to the SPAM the chopped pineapple, squeezed dry, chopped green onions and shredded carrots. Stir in ginger. Cut 2 sheets together of phyllo dough into 2 inch strips. Brush top side of strip with small amount of vegetable oil. Place a tablespoon of SPAM mixture on one end of the strip. Fold over and over into a triangle. Brush outside lightly with oil. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush tops with jelly when just out of oven. Serve with teriyaki sauce for dipping.

*These freeze very well. Do not bake before freezing. Just pop in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Submitted by Cathy Hamm

Last edited by Katpo; 10-27-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #2  
focused and aiming

thanks, kathy. would you believe i have some jalapeno jelly onhand? i don't have any spam, though. i do have have some venison salami. i'm thinking that would work, too.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #3  
Melissa

Old 10-27-2005, 09:58 PM   #4  

Um ... please don't make this. I would hate to be responsible for the outcome.

Disclaimer: My mom made me eat Spam every Sunday afternoon. She would make Spam salad with grated Spam, grated boiled eggs, relish, diced onion ... sorta tuna salad but with Spam. I liked it and if it weren't for the sodium, I'd still eat it occasionally.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #5  
focused and aiming

kathy, you're a hoot!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:17 AM   #6  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

I honestly have no idea what to make of this recipe. LOL. It's outrageous! Does this come from the Spam Bake-off? Well, that's not the real name, but Spam has a contest that is televised on the foodnetwork and the contestants really get into it.
Keep on keepin' on!
Judy Itry
234.6/206.8/thinner into onederland
Old 10-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #7  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I didn't even know "Spam" still existed...and Spam Light? Is that a joke or something? lol

Frouf
Old 10-28-2005, 10:10 AM   #8  

Judy, I really think it was the big winner at our State Fair that just ended last week. There is a Spam booth, believe it or not. Here's another local story:

If all six billion cans of SPAM produced since 1937 were lined up end-to-end they would circle around the world 15 times.

Tuesday at the State Fair of Texas, the National "Best Spam Recipe" Competition celebrated the Hormel Foods product known for its versatility through 27 different inventive and unusual recipes.

From pretty to spicy, SPAM was cooked and displayed in ways some may never have imagined.

John Maloney and Brad Ferst have been judging the contest for 12 to 14 years and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly side of SPAM.

"The worst one, she added a lot of ham and actually molded a pig," Maloney said.

No sculpture pigs were seen this year; however the 27 contestants played to win.

SPAM fans could enjoy SPAM biscuits, similar to the classic pigs in the blanket, or hot and spicy SPAM-a-lama ding dong dippers.

Judges critiqued the recipes based on general rules provided by SPAM. In grading, appearance was 30 percent, originality 30 percent and taste appeal 40 percent.

So what SPAM creation took the grand prize?

Crazy tasty SPAM cake came in second place, but it was the island teriyaki bites that scored a first place prize from judges.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:15 AM   #9  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katpo
hot and spicy SPAM-a-lama ding dong dippers
You have to be kidding.
Closed Thread