Old 12-04-2006, 11:01 AM   #1  

Default Bored! Weight loss going so slowwwwllllllllyyyyy

Hi everyone

I'm just getting really bored. My weight loss has slowed down to a crawl. In the last 6 months I've lost 9 pounds! I have dropped my calories again recently to try to get things moving again. I dropped a pound then nothing. I was at 1500 per day. Now I'm more like 1300. I go to the gym 3x a week and am doing up my house so lots of extra exercise there!

So my question really to you 70-100+ losers - did you slow right down in the middle? If you did - did you manage to get it shifting quicker or did you just accept the slow movement? I have no intention of giving up but I am just bored with progress. I've wondered whether I should get my thyroid checked as I think I should really be losing more - I was only ever losing a pound a week in the beginning - or is this me looking for an excuse?

It's got more important recently as me and my lovely fella have agreed to start trying for a kid, but I wanted to lose at least another 20 pounds. I'm 35 so am feeling like I've got to get on with it so slow loss is just driving me loony!

Argh!

Claire x
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:27 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, I lost the first 70 lbs fairly quickly. I didn't count calories but I did eat very "clean" (lots of veggies, some fruit, moderate amounts of lean meat, very little added fat, no eating out). I also did quite a bit of weight lifting as well as adding in cardio after the first 50 lbs lost. I also went to the gym 5-7 times per week.

Since I don't have the time and dedication to do what I was doing then, my weight loss has slowed and it did stop for a while. What do you do when you are at the gym? I highly recommend doing some weight training.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #3  

I agree, add some weight training and increase your exercise. I try to go to work out 5-7 times a week. It's important to change your exercise around too. Your body gets used to what you're doing and you get bored with it. Don't be afraid to try new equipment and change things up.

It is normal for your body to take some time to get used to the weight loss too, and then you'll start losing again.

The important thing is, don't give up. Play around with things and see what works for you.
mthrgoos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I think I lost the first 90 VERY quickly -- and then it slowed down to a slow crawl. And now I've been the same weight (fluctuating though) for about the past 4-5 months. And after resisting the idea of weight training -- I'm finally going to start (my new boyfriend is going to start training me ). That should get the rest of the weight off I hope.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #5  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

That can be very frustrating! Make sure the cals you are eating are as clean as possible. When I hit a plateau or don't think I am losing as fast as I should I remind myself that it is not about the scale, it is about exercising, protecting my heart, preventing diseases and eating healthy which means being healthy even if we don't always see it on the scale!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #6  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

The first time around when I lost all my weight it came of fairly quickly (over 100 lbs in a year), but I tried to work out at least 30 minutes a day and I switched up the type of exercise I was doing. And also, I never ate the same amount each day - I would eat between 1200 and 1800 just to keep my body guessing.

(Now if it would only work this time! )
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:53 AM   #7  

Thanks everyone. You know I subscribed to this and didn't get any notifications so I thought I'd got no responses! It was nice to come along today and find you'd all taken the time to answer me!

Anyway - I do weight training plus cardio at the gym. It's about 15 mins weight training and 30 mins cardio. You are right - I think I will have to go more often. Foodwise its pretty good I think - mostly fresh food. I have to eat gluten free so no bread, cakes, biscuits or pasta for me. Its more veg, fruit, meat, potato. I've been trying to find a diet I can just stick with forever. I was thinking of just following the calorie queens idea of sticking to one calorie level and seeing where you end up - but the speed of loss is very frustrating! So diet-wise I don't really want to drop anything any further so yes more exercise has to be the answer.

Thanks! I might go to the docs as well just to see if they can help.
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote