I can't do any more

• today is weigh in and I am furious! I gained 2 lbs. I have no idea how that is possible! I stayed on goal for eating, h2o and exercise. I am so mad. I can't do any better than this. So, if this is not enough, then does that mean I can't lose weight? I thought determination would be enogh.working hard and doing what I know to do would be enough. This week it got me nothing but a gain. I am furious. Jelly
  • Hey Jelly,
    I know how frustrating that is ... but our bodies react differently sometimes, and they need time for adjustment, apart from the fact that there are hundreds of different reasons to why the scale went up, such as water retention, muscle building and etc... don´t give it up !!! Take a deep breath ...

Maybe we can help ! What kind of plan have you been following ? How long have you been dieting ?

Also, have you had a general check up, tyroid functions and similars ? This may also impact the outcome of your diet...

Don´t give it up, it´s hard, a life learning experience, and at the end it´s worth it !!!
  • Hang in there. Our bodies do funny things. I know Kimberley can fluctuate 4 lbs. Women really have a lot harder than guys. I think that is why a lot of people say to only weigh once a month. I just can't stand that myself but maybe you could give that a try.
  • I know you said you stayed on target for everything...what are your goals for food and exercise? Are you measuring all your food? Are you doing strength training or just cardio?

As mentioned, there are a lot of factors that go into our weight other than just diet and exercise. So you're up 2 pounds for a week...heck, I can go up by 5 pounds in a day Between our lovely hormones and water retention (could be caused by additional sodium, swelling, exercise, heck even the weather!) and all that good stuff, the scale is a pretty poor short-term indicator of what's going on on the inside.
  • thanks guys. I am sorry for the rant, I just really am frustrated. I wont give up, I can't. I just can't do any more than I am doing. I will try to post my fitday if I can figure it out. Then maybe you could give me pointers.

My plan is to stay between 1300 and 1500 cals. Mostly I am at 1300. Ii do 60 min of aroebics and 10 of toning 6 days a week. I try to keep my food healthy. I started 3 weeks ago. The bad thing I have had is 1 small piece of cake that I shared with my son on my birthday, but I still stayed in my calories that day. I drink 64 oz of water or more each day.

That is my plan. anything you can say to help would be great. Jelly
  • At the beginning of the year, I cut my portions, started exercising every day and I didn't lose a single lb for 3 months. Then 3 months later, I started losing and I've been losing pretty steadily since then.

Losing weight takes time, work and patience. Have you measured yourself? Measuring can be a better indicator than the scale.
  • My weight fluctuates by 2lbs sometimes daily. Do you graph your weight at all? It might help you see the general downward trend instead of getting hung up on all the skittery up and down that goes on.

Stick with it. Don't give up.
  • One big problem is that you are trying to measure FAT loss. The scale meausures fat, water, muscle, bone, etc... It very well could be that you have lost 1 pound of FAT and are retaining 3 pounds of water! But the scale isn't going to tell you that.

You also have to remember that for this and other reasons weight loss is simply not linear. I have great weeks and lose 2 pounds, great weeks and gain 2 pounds, great weeks and stay the same.

You have to get past the scale, do the sensible things that have been shown over time to help with weight loss and have patience!!!! Celebrate when the scale goes down, yes, but do NOT give it power over you!!!!!
  • Jelly, I'm with Wyllen and Kittymuse. The Evil White Square will mess with your brain if you focus too much on a single number, as opposed to the trends and patterns. I do weigh myself most days, which they say you shouldn't do, but it helps me understand the ups and downs of hormones, digestion, water retention, etc. I log Sunday's weight, and this doesn't make me crazy.

I was stuck in a rut for a long time--the Guiness Book or World Records Plateau--until I started taking thyroid meds and learned that I'm sensitive to gluten. So I would say don't give up, but check in with a nutritionist or your doc if you aren't seeing any progress after six weeks of working your program.

You can do it!

judy
  • Hang in there Jelly!!! Almost all of us have had weeks where we've hand an unjustified gain and you will lose it as long as you stay focused on your plan.

Melissa
  • Quote: The Evil White Square
    I'd never heard that before -- that's great!!
  • I weigh every day (mostly) like Judy. It is depressing sometimes, but since I've been doing it for a while, I understand that since I gained 1.5 lbs overnight (yes... today!), that it HAS to be water. Up and down and up and down. So it goes.

It really does help me to look at a chart. Maybe because I was trained as a scientist. I like trends, I like to forecast, and I like to see where I'm headed.