Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:04 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 270/270/170

Height: 5'5"

Fedup, you have lost 50 lbs.,wow, that is inspiring. Thanks for the encouraging words. I need to start counting calories too. I love this site. Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 256/205/150

Height: 5' 6"

mine is calorie counting , portion control , staying in the low sodium range , and getting active , I too eat at least 5 times a day .... depends on how many calories I have put in. I like to stay in a 1200 to 1300 calorie range, but thats what works for me. I know you can lose the weight!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #18  

Smile Hi, I'm new too.... :)

I'm new here too Linda and Adon. Adon I can identify with a lot of what you said, especially about being upset when I was 170, and now years later I find I'm about a hundred more than that! But I've been so for years. But I just made a resolution to pull the reigns in quite a bit on my weight loss program. All it was doing was maintaining a 12-18 pound loss! It's true I do lose slowly, but I know I need to limit fats and even proteins more. (Cheese is my downfall.) I'd stopped exercising (when I thought it wasn't doing any good) and I started gaining even that modest loss back. Oh no! But I am ready to commit to stricter portion control, the only thing that has ever worked longterm for me BUT when I had support. (I did it originally and kept it off but before I was married when I only had twenty pounds to lose ---on weight Watchers.) I can't find a support group to go to that I like And can afford, but I read in a magazine that this group was fun and motivating. I've read through a few posts and it seems to be true. So here I am too!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:26 PM   #19  

I feel like I need to be told what to do even though I do know what to do. I lost almost forty pounds when I was single and no kids. Yes, it came off easily because I could exercise whenever I wanted to. Now, this is a whole new ballgame. I eat for boredom and I am a very emotional eater. My husband works nights and over nights so it is easy for me to eat and not feel accountable to anyone. It is me who should care that I am sitting there eating twelve pieces of licorice or halloween candy. I need to get a plan and follow it. I guess I am waiting for someone to hold my hand and that isn't going to happen. I need to get this in gear and go for it. I love this site. Everyone is so encouraging.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:33 AM   #20  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Adon. I just gotta tell you this and I'm sure you know it already, no one's gonna hold your hand. This is up to you to do and you alone. Although you've certainly come to the right place cause we'd be more then happy to guide and support you.

I also VERY often ate out of boredom and frustration, but then I changed my habits and I do different things when I'm bored and frustrated like come onthe compa and log onto 3FC. I also make better food choices. And I promise you after just 2-3short weeks fo sticking to a good plan you won't even want the bad food. And if you really want somebody to tell you what to do then let me know and I'd be happy to help you. Whatever you need and I mean that.

PrincessinTraining to 3FC. I'm glad you've found this place and I hope to see you around. There's no need to eliminate proteins from your diet, just the fatty ones, yup like cheese and you know everything in moderation and there are low fat cheeses. You shouldn't have to feel deprived, you need to find a plan that works for YOU and that you can stick to forever and well if you gotta have cheese, well then you've got to have cheese.

Good luck ladies!! And please remember you CAN do this!!! You really can!!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #21  

Thanks so much FEDUP. I would love guidance. I did WW about ten years ago and it went very well. That was before kids and marriage and a house. Now I am not sure if I should get a notebook and write everything down including calorie count. Not sure if that is the best way. I don't want to do a fad diet since we all know they don't work, well, for me anyway. Maybe for some who can stick to it. If you would like to share plan ideas with me I would love it. I just need a starting point. I did weigh myself Monday and then again this morning and was down four pounds. I just wanted to check it out to see if it moved at all and it did. I won't weigh myself for another week. I don't want to become a slave to the scale. Thanks again for all the advice and help.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:54 AM   #22  
Girl from Rio

S/C/G: 242/See ticker/118

Height: 5 2"

Hi ! welcome

Quote:
I also VERY often ate out of boredom and frustration, but then I changed my habits and I do different things when I'm bored and frustrated like come onthe compa and log onto 3FC
Also happens to me, it´s like I have an inability to stand still, so now what I do is I think about it first, whenever I´m reaching for food and I know it´s not because I´m hungry (that goes for emotional eating as well), I stop for a sec and think first, I ask myself if that´s what I really want... now the tricky part, the answer is obviously a big no, but sometimes it´s really hard to fight that anxiety sensation, and a great thing I´ve learned from some of the great people here, is that I go find something to do, to get my mind off of food, I clean or move the furniture, I go for a run, look at old pictures...anything ... with this most times I win, but a few times I screw up and end up eating, and I´ve learned to recognize the mistake, forgive myself and move on

One thing that I think you should take into consideration as well, is that it took quite sometime for us to get where we are, and we are carrying a lot of frustrations in these extra pounds, so take your time, change slowly but deeply, and don´t be so hard on yourself .... YOU WILL GET THERE !

All the best,
Carol
Old 11-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #23  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Welcome ~ glad you have joined us.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:08 AM   #24  

Adon that is what I am doing too the old W/W, mostly. About writing it down, I found a really pretty pink Monday through Sunday weekly sheet that I've started to write the meals and the fruits/milks/starches etc down on each day. So now I don't have to think about making out those stupid sheets to diary meals on. lol

Thanks for the Welcome and positive thoughts, ladies. Fed Up, yes I must have my cheese! lol I don't like low fat cheeses too much except maybe mozzarella/feta, you know, moderately low. But guess what? I did limit it and other high fat stuff like peanut butter and eggs this week, and I did lose like six pounds this week! I also made a couple of other changes like no 'borrowing' portions from the next day or eating after midnight, more water etc. Only tonight is different because guess what? I just became a Grandma for the first time ever! I am so excited-- haven't seen him yet though. Little Alexander, 9 pounds 8 ounces! Thank you Lord!

OK going to bed now....
Old 11-18-2006, 05:09 AM   #25  

Oh I meant to say, I found the pink diary sheets at the dollar store. And they are the ones you can rip off so I put mine on the fridge. Hope you can find something similar if you think that will also help you.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:24 AM   #26  
3 + years maintaining

Princess in training. that is great!! 6 pounds, wow, way to go. And I'm glad you had your cheese, we just can't expect to limit favorite foods forever if we're going to be on this plan forever. I'm so happy for you. That's all it takes, little changes - oh gosh that sounds so simple, but it really isn't all that complicated.

And CONGTATULATIONS on becoming a grandmother - that must be so exciting. Your grandson has a beautiful name and he should have a long and happy life filled with joy and happiness and excellent health.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #27  
3 + years maintaining

Hi Adon, you asked so here goes some basics, let me know if you want more details.

My breakfast consists of either 1 cup of cereal - I eat quaker essentials crunchy corn bran cereal with 1/2 cup skim milk. Or I eat a 3 egg-white omlette with 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, which is 1/4 cup uncooked. To the omlette You can add some veggies, like if I have leftovers from the day before - spinach, onions, whatever

Mid-morning snack - a 6 oz. fat-free, sugar free yogurt, they range from 60-90 calories depending on the brand.

Lunch for me varies (1) a 3 oz can tuna in water with a cut up cucumber, a cut up red pepper, 2 17 calorie multi-grain rice cakes and 5 almonds
(2) a morning star farms chick patty or a morning star farms spicy bean burger with cooked veggies - I usually have cauliflower I love it and it's very filling. You have to experiment and find what you like

mid-afternoon snack - 2 of the 17 calorie rice cakes with a TBSP peanut butter or 1 fat free, sugar free ice cream bar that is 60 calories, you have to find what they sell in your neighborhood and what you like.

Dinner is either 1 grilled chicken cutlet, or 1 3oz. piece of salmon, baked or I made meatballs the other night with lean ground beef , I ate 2 of them.
I always either eat lots of veggies or a salad. Experiment and find what you like. I make spaghetti squash, my kids really liked that. I also make brussel sprouts, sugar snap peas. I made a yummy spinach cheese souffle one night. I also make stir fries with broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, onions and a little soy sauce, ginger and garlic. I use pam cooking spray instead of oil. You can make a big batch and have leftovers. If you want specific recipes, let me know. You'll see as you go on that you'll find what works for you. I
I drink a lot of water, i try for 8 glasses a day, if I need to keep my mouth busy, I just fill up a glass and keep it with me, or a water bottle.

If you're still hungry during the day eat some veggies.

I also drink flavored tea with splenda.

I also exercise, start out slowly if you like, can you find time for a walk? If not how about an exercise video or dvd? Sit -ups, leg lifts. Just take it slow and do it at your own speed.

It's really important to eat breakfast, so don't skip that. It gets your metabolisim moving and keeps you satisfied.

If you have to keep stuff in the house for the kids try to make it stuff that you don't like. And remeber you're doing them no favors by letting them eat garbage, so don't feel guilty about eliminating some junk food that you normally would have for them. It's never to early for them to get good and healthy eating habits. For me it was very important to have only healthy food in the house, less temptation. And I find for me that I must plan, plan and plan, like I map out in my head a weeks worth of menus, but if you like you can write it down.

If you're bored at night try not to eat, well duh, but think of other activities that you can do - exercise, computer, sewing, knitting, your journal, have a cup of hot tea with splenda, read, straighten up the house, do your nails, anything, eventually the cravings will stop. I try not to eat past 7:00.

I also write in a journal. I bought a pretty little notebook for $4.00 I wrote all the reasons why I wanted to lose the weight and when I was having cravings I would go and look at it and read it. In the beginning I would look at it A LOT. It really helped keep me on track. But for the most part the cravings have stopped, but I still check in there occasionally and I keep on adding things that I want to do when I've lost the weight. I also write my future goals in there. I weigh myself everyday, but record my weight on Monday. If you can, try to weigh yourself only once a week, i wish I could.
I found the first 3 weeks the hardest and then I promise you it got sooo much easier. I hope I didn't bore you to tears.

Good luck and again let me know whatever else you need, whenever, either here or a PM. I hope to hear from you real soon.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:55 AM   #28  

Thanks FedUp! I hope they will bring him over on Thanksgiving.

Well counting high fat proteins IS a sort of big change for me, at least it feels that way, and admittedly today I failed in it. But oh well.. still doing pretty well on 'the rest of it'. I'm going to keep plugging along and even if I don't lose with thanksgiving now upon us, I'll get right back on track. And tomorrow I will make an effort to get back to the cheese/protein limiting again. Can't argue with success right? And a good sign today I think was that I was hungry!

Linda and Adon, how you doing girls?

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:57 AM   #29  

p.s. FedUp that is a good idea about the journal.

I meant to say too that the slips I was talking about to write meals were just a 'to do' weekly list thing.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:24 AM   #30  
3 + years maintaining

Princess, you certainly have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. Let me know if you did indeed get to see the little guy.

Some meals we fail, some days we fail, but we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off ---- and then we get right back to it!!!

I love my journal, to me it's mostly kind of like a dream book. I enter my hopes and dreams (weightwise) for the future. It has very positive stuff on it that I need to keep reminding myself of. And one of the first things that I put in there is that I want to be a fantastic grandma, active, cute, healthy, fit and ALIVE. I want to be able to get on the ground with the kids and PLAY with them, take them to the playground and just do stuff with them.

Have a wonderful, Thanksgiving.
Closed Thread