Old 10-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #1  

Default Optifast update

Hi everyone!

Sorry I haven't been posting much about my Optifast diet lately... the past 2 months have been **** with school - I haven't gotten to watch any season premieres; I'm not sure if my husband knows I still exist; and my house is a dirty, nasty disaster...its all I can do to keep up with the little things everyday and squeeze in quality time with Chris every now and again.
(yes, they really are throwing alot of work and clinicals at us, this is not an exaggeration).
So anyway... I am still doing Optifast. I'm down a total of 78lbs and have lost 51 inches overall. I am slightly smaller than I was when I got married... woohooo!!!
It has been an emotional roller coaster, and I have slipped up a few times - HOWEVER, each time I have gotten back on track and have managed to make this work for me. If I had to do it all over again, I would never do this during the school year!!! I have been learning some new coping mechanisms, and I have found that I really hate binges - as in I just feel gross when I binge and get no emotional numbing from it anymore (which is good that I now know this).
I have personally modified Optifast to fit my needs a little better.... I am still on the fast and I still only consume between 500-800 cal/day; but every few days I substitute a shake or 2 with a South Beach product (I really like the breakfast burritos and pizzas!!) and stay within my calorie range. It was worked for me to satisfy the "I WANT TO EAT" monster that comes out, but it also keeps me on plan and from doing stupid things to either stop this or gain it all back, which I don't want at all. I figure if that even if I am eating something that I'm not "supposed to", as long as it is keeping me doing this program, then I'm not gonna complain or feel guilty.
I have started doing cardio everyday of the week that I possibly can fit it in, and although I know it is a good habit anyway and I needed to really reinforce it as a habit, I started doing it more as a stress relief and me time. I have also started journaling regularly and if I feel like I want to eat junk, I use distractions such as video games or homework to get my mind away from it.
So, overall, I'm still doing well and I hope to be under 250 by Christmas. My dad is still going strong, though his weight loss has finally started to slow down on the fast (he doesn't do cardio and will need to start that soon) - he is down 88lbs and only has 20 more to go.
OH, and with the previous worry about my liver enzymes: they are normal now and no one has any real clue why they went up steadily or why they are normal now. But just as long as it stays normal - thats whats important.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:15 PM   #2  
Aleecia

Hi Amanda,
Its great to hear that you are doing so well. It sounds like you have a lot that you are juggling right now. Good for you for staying focused.
We are all very proud of you. Keep up the good work!!
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #3  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Amanda - What an inspiration that with everthing you have going on you are able to keep at it! You're doing a wonderful job!!

Melissa
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:58 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Great job Amanda!
How long has it been now.............?
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:55 PM   #5  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Hi Amanda. I'm really glad to hear that you are doing so well. I know well the stress of school, I gained over 30 lbs during 3 1/2 years of college, also being married and having a part-time job throughout. So congrats on sticking with it and being wise enough to realize that you need to have those South Beach snacks, there are a lot worse things you could be breaking your plan with!! That's not falling off the wagon, that is learning how to cope.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like you are doing well. Hopefully things will slow down for you at work.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:31 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Amanda -

That is so awesome!! I know it was pretty hard when school 1st started and I am so proud that you found a way to make it work!!

Keep it up!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #8  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the upddate Amanda It sounds like you're doing very well!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:49 AM   #9  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

WTG on the weight loss! But is this healthy? :

Quote:
I am still on the fast and I still only consume between 500-800 cal/day;
Do you plan on only eating that much indefinately?
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine31 View Post
WTG on the weight loss! But is this healthy? :

Do you plan on only eating that much indefinately?

Its medically supervised. If you would like to know more about Optifast, then I suggest you search for my other threads, as they contain quite a bit of information. This is why I cannot comment to those people who want to know how much is ok to lose in a month, or how many calories per day to eat... I eat products that consist of high protein, low carb shakes, bars, soups, oatmeal, and cookies. Eventually, I will start adding other foods and uping my caloric intake. The goal is to re-learn food behaviors. I plan to stick with the fast until I am down 230, then we'll see - as long as I don't run into any medical problems, and I haven't so far.
So, in essence, it is perfectly heathly to eat a very low cal diet as long as the foods are nutrient dense, which these specially formulated products are. I firmly believe that doing this program is much healthier than weighing 350lbs.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #11  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Its medically supervised. If you would like to know more about Optifast, then I suggest you search for my other threads, as they contain quite a bit of information. This is why I cannot comment to those people who want to know how much is ok to lose in a month, or how many calories per day to eat... I eat products that consist of high protein, low carb shakes, bars, soups, oatmeal, and cookies. Eventually, I will start adding other foods and uping my caloric intake. The goal is to re-learn food behaviors. I plan to stick with the fast until I am down 230, then we'll see - as long as I don't run into any medical problems, and I haven't so far.
So, in essence, it is perfectly heathly to eat a very low cal diet as long as the foods are nutrient dense, which these specially formulated products are. I firmly believe that doing this program is much healthier than weighing 350lbs.
Well I do not know anything about optifast but I was a little concerned to hear about the super low cals. I am glad to hear it is medically supervised and that you are getting the weight off. The big concern I would have is about transitioning back to normal eating and if it affected your metabolism, if you'll regain the weight etc. I do agree this is probably better than weighing 350 pounds though.

I am happy where I am at with my calorie counting and exercise. Maybe once you get down to 230 you can switch and do that too. I hope my posting hasn't sounded harsh or as a diss. I am just concerned for you is all. Good Luck!!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6

Any one on here still doing Optifast?
dominiquej is offline   Reply With Quote