Old 10-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #1  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Default O/T Dove commercial...amazing

This one really gets me where I live. Some of you know about the issues I have with my hubby, and will understand why this hits me so hard.
I just don't get why men can't seem to wrap their minds around REALITY!!!!!

And don't get me started about all of us, and our daughters......

Let me know what you think of this, OK?
http://www.reginaldpike.com/dove/index.html

We are beautiful

xoxoxo
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

I haven't seen that one before, thanks for sharing. I was particularly shocked by the photo editing.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #3  
ooooh... sparkly!

S/C/G: 236/226/135

Height: 5'4"

OH wow!

sometimes it's hard to remember that the models in the magazines don't really look like that, either... they're right. it's no wonder that our perceptions are skewed.

thanks for showing that video
watch_it_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #4  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

By the time they got finished with the computer "enhancing" it was nothing more than a computer generated picture based on a real person. That wasn't a real person. They changed everything about her. I find it discusting and disheartening to think that this is what we as a society have come to in reguards to "real beauty". What I see in the magazines nice pictures. What I see when I watch mothers play with their kids, or wives looking lovingly at their husbands, or a woman sitting on a bench reading a book is real beauty. Thanks for sharing this video. I showed it to my daughter to show her how the pictures are really made.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

That woman was beautiful BEFORE all the enhancements. That really does make me sad. You know sometimes I sit here an wish I were skinny, more beautiful etc. Then, my husband tells me, "you're beautiful always". It's hard for me to accept that as a larger woman. Not because I don't want to accept it but we are made to feel that it isn't acceptable to be beautiful and large. We're made to feel that if your not perfect, then your not worth it. It's so sad. That video was a real wake up call. This society is definitely sending wrong messages to young children-- to all of us for that matter. Why can't we all just be comfortable in our own skin? If I were that woman, I'd be ashamed to even tell anyone is was me, because in reality, it isnt.

I just want to be happy being me. I wish others could just accept that. There are plenty more pressing things happening in this world to be so worried about these minor things in life. On a larger scale, being vain doesn't really fit in to what really matters in life does it? That's the message these companies NEED to be sending out. Love, Happiness, Health.... Not Skinny, beautiful and perfect.
Thanks Linda, for sharing.
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I LOVED the video.

Interesting thing happened to me in Spanish class today.

Domingo, a guy in my class, showed me a picture he had blown up for his speech class. He was probably 70-100 pounds heavier than he is now. It was when he was 17 and he's 19 now. He's lost a lot of weight and is doing a speech on how he did it. His girlfriend, who is also in my class, was talking about how no one can believe it's him. I said, "Well, he sure looks different but you can tell it's him because he's still the same cute guy." And they were both like, "What?" They insisted he was not cute when he was fat. But he was very cute - same great eyes, smile, skin.

Then, talking to another friend - it shed some light.

I showed a friend of mine the video and she said that she loved it and she commented that, "It amazes me the lengths that are gone to to hit a beauty "ideal." Of course, being on a weight loss kick, I feel somewhat hypocritical saying that." And I said - Why is that hypocritical?? Do we have to hate ourselves and our "look" to lose weight?

And then a light went on. Okay, so we have this mentality that if we love ourselves, we won't lose weight. In Domingo's situation, he felt like if he recognized the cute guy in that picture, he would go back to that weight.

We have to stop doing this!

You need to love yourself at this weight and five pounds from now (in either direction!). You have to appreciate your inner goddess and start worshipping her now? Because, it does not get easier! You can't say, "I'll stop beating myself up and loving my body when I'm 150."

Goddesses need worship. If you don't go into the inner temple and give your praise, adoration and thanks now - do you think they'll stick around in the future? No way! So maybe you've been skipping your devotions? Let your goddess know that she's da bomb. Do a ritualistic booty shaking dance in your love for her. I know each day your goddess will get more bodacious.

/end soap box
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #7  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

<clapping and cheering wildly>

YES!!! Jessica, this is the message we ALL need EVERY DAY!!!!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:12 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

That video was quite amazing, although I've seen similar "before and afters" before.

Did anyone else click on the "2" under the video to watch the next one? That one REALLY got me--it's a bunch of young girls talking about how imperfect they are. One even mentioned that she thinks she's a normal weight but that she's rather be "skinny." Watching that one just made me want to cry and made me remember how I felt growing up; how I quit taking dance lessons at age 10 because I was no longer comfortable in leotard and tights because of my weight; how when I was only 7 or so years old, a woman told me I looked like I had lost some weight, and I shrugged, and my mother pointed out that that was to be taken as a compliment.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:34 AM   #9  
Linda

Yeah, I saw that too Jill...it's disturbing to me also, because I remember getting comments just like the ones you got.

I tried tap, ballet, baseball...quit them all because I was fat.
When I was three, my best friend's at the time's mom ( mom a ballet teacher with eating disorders and my friend were both extremely thin) told my mom that she needed to put me on a DIET....at three years old

It's insane what society puts on the shoulders of little girls!

Linda
Old 10-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

The first video is eye-opening and disturbing. I know they do that all the time, but to see it like that, wow. (or should I say yikes?)

The second video is sad. It would break my heart if I ever heard my dd talking like that. I'm showing this to my DH. I want a dd that is confident no matter what she looks like and I know that comes from supportive parents telling their daughters that they ARE beautiful.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:06 PM   #11  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

It seems whatever missing plug-ins I try to download to view the video, it won't work! I'm going to try again another time.

Jessica - I loved what you wrote, I printed it off to tape up beside my mirror!!

Linda - you're right, we ARE beautiful. I remember something you wrote in response to me when I first came to these boards: We are beautiful before, during, and after this process.. I wrote it on a post-it and taped it to my mirror, it's something I look at to remind myself of the truth and meaning of your words.

Gretchen... you said it so well.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #12  
Linda

Awww, you are too sweet!

Right back atcha!!!!!

I needed the reminder that I said those words...I'm not feeling very beautiful these days.

I really hope you get to watch it...it's pretty moving!

Linda
Old 10-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #13  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Linda, I just wanted to let you know... after reading many of your posts, I've often thought, "wow.. what a beautiful person she must be to know in person!". Your comments are always so loving and uplifting. That's always something that's struck me and I think it's something that shines through in person

You are beautiful. We are all beautiful
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #14  
Linda

Thank you so much

Linda